1289 users online (202 members and 1087 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

GA - Man arrested after smashing window, saving dog from hot car, Athens

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5c9e1...erlay-context=

Deputies say the car's owner insisted Hammons be arrested. Deputies did not identify the woman. She was cited for leaving the dog in the hot car.

Can't believe they arrested him.

Last summer I saw a doggie in a hot car in the Trader Joe's lot. Another bystander saw it too and we called 911 because it was about 85 degrees outside so the car had to be very very hot. The windows were not even cracked or we would have tried to unlock the door.

The dispatcher told us we could break the car window. The man was looking for something to break it with when a tow truck drove by. We stopped him and he had a slim jim and we opened the car door and poured some water on the panting doggie. Then the cops arrived minutes later and the driver was still not there. Finally she came outside with a cart full of groceries and was very mad at us. Pissed me off because we might have saved the poor dog's life and she was screaming at us. The cop gave her a ticket but I didnt see what it was for.

I did ask the cop what would have happened if we broke the car window though. he said if we had called 911 and been given permission then it was fine.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

I actually did this very thing a while back. I called the police just after smashing the window and saving the puppy. I'm not sure how long he was in the car, but he was unconscious and barely breathing and I was NOT waiting another second.

The man who owned the dog and car was given a fine (and a severe tongue lashing by myself and LE) and I was sent on my way.

All LE said was if he wanted me to pay for the window, to take me to small claims court. He didn't. I kinda wish he would have.
    "What is more frightening than any particular policy or ideology is the widespread habit of disregarding facts.”
    --Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Can't believe they arrested him.

Last summer I saw a doggie in a hot car in the Trader Joe's lot. Another bystander saw it too and we called 911 because it was about 85 degrees outside so the car had to be very very hot. The windows were not even cracked or we would have tried to unlock the door.

The dispatcher told us we could break the car window. The man was looking for something to break it with when a tow truck drove by. We stopped him and he had a slim jim and we opened the car door and poured some water on the panting doggie. Then the cops arrived minutes later and the driver was still not there. Finally she came outside with a cart full of groceries and was very mad at us. Pissed me off because we might have saved the poor dog's life and she was screaming at us. The cop gave her a ticket but I didnt see what it was for.

I did ask the cop what would have happened if we broke the car window though. he said if we had called 911 and been given permission then it was fine.
    Unfortunately, you can't fix stupid. Which is what that woman was. You have a good heart. Bless you.

Army veteran arrested after smashing window, saving dog from hot car

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/05/12...-from-hot-car/

Oh for crying out loud. Give this guy a medal. What if that was a kid in the car that he got out? Would they still arrest him?
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by SStarr33 View Post
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5c9e1...erlay-context=

Deputies say the car's owner insisted Hammons be arrested. Deputies did not identify the woman. She was cited for leaving the dog in the hot car.
    Why didn't they identify this woman? The guy is identified by name.
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Oh for crying out loud. Give this guy a medal. What if that was a kid in the car that he got out? Would they still arrest him?
    Nope because it's legal to do that to free a child, but not an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    Nope because it's legal to do that to free a child, but not an animal.
    That really doesn't make sense to me. A small dog doesn't tolerate heat any better than a small child.
    Last edited by jjenny; 05-12-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    Just my opinion

That really doesn't make sense to me. A small dog doesn't tolerate heat any better than a small child.
    But you also don't become eligible for the death penalty in ANY state if you kill a dog.
    While killing a small child is punishable by life in prison in most states...
    Killing a dog is often not even a felony.

It's something that people are working to change but right now?
    Animals lives just aren't worth much in the eyes of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    But you also don't become eligible for the death penalty in ANY state if you kill a dog.
    While killing a small child is punishable by life in prison in most states...
    Killing a dog is often not even a felony.

It's something that people are working to change but right now?
    Animals lives just aren't worth much in the eyes of the law.
    Killing a dog could be a felony.
    Just my opinion

Why didn't they identify this woman? The guy is identified by name.
    The article from the first post identifies are as Elantra Cunningham.

Killing a dog could be a felony.
    That's why I said "often not even a felony." There are exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by bwt42 View Post
    The article from the first post identifies are as Elantra Cunningham.
    The article was edited since I read it just a short time ago.
    Just my opinion

I want to believe the cops could have discretion in arresting an Army veteran for something as trivial as this. The vet should receive a medal, not handcuffs. IMO

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast