698 users online (105 members and 593 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Heart of Europe
    Posts
    27,185

    Australia - T.H., 2, beaten to death, Footscray, Vic, 13 May 2005

    A man has been charged with the decade-old murder of a Footscray, Victoria toddler known only as TH, on the exact day of the 10th anniversary of her killing. He is 36 and from South Yarra but has not been identified.

    The toddler, along with her 20-month old sister, were taken to the emergency room on May 13, 2005. The youngest also had serious injuries but survived, the two-year-old died. They were in their home with their mother and her boyfriend at the time of the injuries.

    A sibling later told welfare workers he had seen TH being 'kicked on the tummy' and reported other violent incidents. An inquest in 2013 ruled the mother and her boyfriend were responsible for TH's death. The suspect did not appear in court because he is 'anxious and depressed'.

    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-1...d-girl/6466630

    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...-1227353201493
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance


    Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...2009-19/page22

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    5,906
    10 years!! And it sounds like stepdaddy did it all along, why so long?!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    809
    A report I read earlier gave the full name of the toddler.
    I won't post it even if I can find the article as there must be a reason that it has been blocked.
    Last edited by TootsieFootsie; 05-13-2015 at 07:21 AM.
    MY OPINION ONLY



    Just call me Tootsie

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    133
    Don't know why it has taken so long but glad he has been charged now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    4,645
    Accused toddler killer Mussie Debresay acquitted of manslaughter by appeal judges
    ABC Mews
    BY DANNY TRAN
    UPDATED ABOUT 2 HOURS AGO (as at 18:40 AEST 21 September 2017)

    'A Melbourne man who was found guilty of killing his girlfriend's toddler has had a manslaughter conviction quashed by Victoria's Court of Appeal.

    The full bench of the Appeals Court found that there was no possible way the jury in Mussie Debresay's first trial could be sure beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty of killing the two-year-old girl.

    "We think it impossible to exclude beyond reasonable doubt the reasonable hypothesis that [the girl's mother] caused the injuries," the judges said.

    "We have concluded that the jury, acting reasonably, must have had a reasonable doubt as to the applicant's guilt.

    "The verdict of manslaughter is thus unsafe and unsatisfactory and must be set aside. In our view, it simply was not open to the jury to convict the applicant."

    The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, died from severe abdominal injuries on May 13, 2005, after sustaining blunt force trauma to her abdomen, which ruptured her organs.

    She also had extensive injuries to her head, neck arms and legs and was taken to a medical clinic in Footscray where doctors and paramedics could not revive her.

    Mr Debresay, who had been in a relationship with the girl's mother for about three months, was charged with murder more than a decade later a decision the judges described as remarkable.

    Prosecutors argued Mr Debresay had killed the girl after she wet herself on a couch cushion.

    Mr Debresay has long maintained his innocence, arguing the toddler had fallen off a couch in his living room and hit her head on the coffee table on the night before her death.

    Witness riddled with 'inconsistencies and contradictions'

    The prosecution's case hinged on the evidence of the girl's brother, who was four years old at the time and told police Mr Debresay had stomped on his sister.

    An autopsy found the injuries the girl suffered were consistent with being stepped or stomped on.

    Her brother, now 15, reiterated his testimony at Mr Debresay's manslaughter trial in 2016.

    But the judges found that the boy's evidence under cross-examination was "riddled with inconsistencies and contradictions, and assertions that objectively could not be true".

    "He said that from where he was on the couch he could not actually see [his sister] at the time when he said she was assaulted," the judges said.

    A Melbourne man who was found guilty of killing his girlfriend's toddler has had a manslaughter conviction quashed by Victoria's Court of Appeal.

    The full bench of the Appeals Court found that there was no possible way the jury in Mussie Debresay's first trial could be sure beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty of killing the two-year-old girl.

    "We think it impossible to exclude beyond reasonable doubt the reasonable hypothesis that [the girl's mother] caused the injuries," the judges said.

    "We have concluded that the jury, acting reasonably, must have had a reasonable doubt as to the applicant's guilt.

    "The verdict of manslaughter is thus unsafe and unsatisfactory and must be set aside. In our view, it simply was not open to the jury to convict the applicant."

    The girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, died from severe abdominal injuries on May 13, 2005, after sustaining blunt force trauma to her abdomen, which ruptured her organs.


    Murder accused Mussie Debresay
    PHOTO Mussie Debresay was arrested a decade after the toddler's death.
    ABC NEWS


    She also had extensive injuries to her head, neck arms and legs and was taken to a medical clinic in Footscray where doctors and paramedics could not revive her.'

    Read more at:

    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...appeal/8967968

    Related:

    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-0...-death/7877888
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bohemian; 09-21-2017 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Added link
    Posts are my opinion/speculation with the exception of relevant source material

    The information contained herein is not to be reproduced or reprinted outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    415
    Wow, how awful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by TootsieFootsie View Post
    A report I read earlier gave the full name of the toddler.
    I won't post it even if I can find the article as there must be a reason that it has been blocked.
    Would her name have been held back to protect her brother?

    Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    AUS
    Posts
    4,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkwhine View Post
    Would her name have been held back to protect her brother?

    Sent from my LG-M250 using Tapatalk
    The teenager, now aged 15 years old, and his surviving younger sister, now aged around 12-13 years old, are minor children.
    Posts are my opinion/speculation with the exception of relevant source material

    The information contained herein is not to be reproduced or reprinted outside of Websleuths.com without my written permission



Similar Threads

  1. Australia - Girl, 12, beaten to death, Aberglasslyn, NSW, 23 Sept 2015
    By zwiebel in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2016, 02:27 PM
  2. GUILTY Australia - Boy, 7, tortured & beaten to death, Sydney, 21 May 2013
    By jamie233 in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-04-2016, 12:40 AM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-04-2015, 12:44 PM
  4. GUILTY Australia - Ti-Aysha Smith, 21 mos, beaten to death, Riverland, SA, Nov 2005
    By aussiegran in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Tags for this Thread