1534 users online (291 members and 1243 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman 4 minutes ago

Judge again overrules objection by Spengler to introduction of one of the photos in the latest batch of evidence

How can Spengler be objecting to this evidence? Why some and not others. I don't understand it.

Something I was thinking about again...brought up with that article posted and discussed about how the plea of insanity in Colorado works.

OK, let's play hypothetical here.

The Defense and JH win. He is ruled legally insane. He will be sentanced to a Psychiatric facility for the rest of his life. There is no one on God's Green Earth that would be OK with him getting out to live amongst the general population, no matter how well his meds work. (Let's say that is true too, though I am not entirely sure it is! But let's go with that!)

IMO, if I were the defendant/patient, I would rather be in prison than spend my life in a Psychiatric hospital!!! At least in prison, there is sort of a semblance of normalcy. They have rules and regulations, and are allowed small conveniences and luxuries.

In a psychiatric hospital, you are literally surrounded by "crazy" - every second of everyday! And I mean no disrespect, those people are as sick as someone with cancer. IMO, it would be harder to visit a psychiatric hospital than a prison. Not talking about my safety, but what I might see/hear/feel.

So while most of us want him to be found guilty...and may or may not want him to die by Death Penalty...IMO, I don't see a "win" to be in his favor.

I hope no one takes any offense to what I wrote here. I mean no disrespect to anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Maisiebelle View Post
    I do think its a strange way around things. If JH wants to say he is insane he should have to prove it. Anyone could just sit there and say they were insane if thats the case. Although it appears from that article that not many do.

"These defenses are commonly referred to as “excuse” defenses. Although rarely used, and seldom ever used successfully, the insanity defense has gained much public attention"

(quote from the article Hatfield referenced above)
    I agree, especially, since he first offered a guilty plea to avoid the DP! To me, that’s a clear indication of a “excuse” defense!

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    For an idea of the overwhelming amount of theater evidence being presented by prosecution: When I checked in yesterday, testimony was focused on row eight; today it is up to row 11.

Yes, it is tedious to listen/watch.

And I was vocal about my thoughts on this...is the jury checked out, etc.

However, today...as she is moving along on the model...I can see how this is all truly "impactful". Since this is considered impact testimony. I am a bit confused if that means "impact" as in "WOW! That's a lot of gunshots" or "impact" as in "where each bullet impacted the seats, etc".

But since the law says it has to be presented this way, I am really glad they are doing it. To see it all on that model will be of great importance to that jury.

Of course, as always, this is IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by corundogs View Post
    Something I was thinking about again...brought up with that article posted and discussed about how the plea of insanity in Colorado works.

OK, let's play hypothetical here.

The Defense and JH win. He is ruled legally insane. He will be sentanced to a Psychiatric facility for the rest of his life. There is no one on God's Green Earth that would be OK with him getting out to live amongst the general population, no matter how well his meds work. (Let's say that is true too, though I am not entirely sure it is! But let's go with that!)

IMO, if I were the defendant/patient, I would rather be in prison than spend my life in a Psychiatric hospital!!! At least in prison, there is sort of a semblance of normalcy. They have rules and regulations, and are allowed small conveniences and luxuries.

In a psychiatric hospital, you are literally surrounded by "crazy" - every second of everyday! And I mean no disrespect, those people are as sick as someone with cancer. IMO, it would be harder to visit a psychiatric hospital than a prison. Not talking about my safety, but what I might see/hear/feel.

So while most of us want him to be found guilty...and may or may not want him to die by Death Penalty...IMO, I don't see a "win" to be in his favor.

I hope no one takes any offense to what I wrote here. I mean no disrespect to anyone!
    Well i've head some mental health issues in the past and you didnt offend me

I think he can be released from a hospital once they decide he is no longer insane. I doubt it would take long for him to get his act together and persuade them he is well again. Therefore he will have the chance of a life whereas life without parole in prison = never walking free.

Quote Originally Posted by MissHaley View Post
    I agree, especially, since he first offered a guilty plea to avoid the DP! To me, that’s a clear indication of a “excuse” defense!
    And it really bothers me that the jury will never hear that he offered this plea deal!

Quote Originally Posted by MissHaley View Post
    And to tack onto that response...his extended education has given him the ability to understand HOW to act "insane".

And don't forget, in one of his applications for his Ph.D, he specifically mentions working with kids with mental illness and he wants to focus on that in his studies in order to help people like them!

There is just way too much out there that tells me this could very well be an act. Though we have LOTS of testimony from both sides left...and my opinion could be swayed. It would take a lot of work, but I am not ruling it out, at this point.

I do think its a strange way around things. If JH wants to say he is insane he should have to prove it. Anyone could just sit there and say they were insane if thats the case. Although it appears from that article that not many do.

"These defenses are commonly referred to as “excuse” defenses. Although rarely used, and seldom ever used successfully, the insanity defense has gained much public attention"

(quote from the article Hatfield referenced above)
    BBM~~
    Oh yes, there's been a history of this. In fact, I recall one case termed as "The twinkie Defence" which of course didn't work. But having watched many cases with Insanity defence, mostly failed in those States where Defence has to prove it versus Colorado's view. It's the reason the Prosecution can bring in so much evidence.

In States where Defence has to prove their CIC, Often Prosecution is limited by the Judge citing "piling on/cumulative" to prejudice the defendant..or something like that.

BTW~~ Good Morning (afternoon for you :love you Maisie)

And to tack onto that response...his extended education has given him the ability to understand HOW to act "insane".

And don't forget, in one of his applications for his Ph.D, he specifically mentions working with kids with mental illness and he wants to focus on that in his studies in order to help people like them!

There is just way too much out there that tells me this could very well be an act. Though we have LOTS of testimony from both sides left...and my opinion could be swayed. It would take a lot of work, but I am not ruling it out, at this point.
    Didn't he work at summer camps for kids with mental issues? Or did I just make that up?

Well i've head some mental health issues in the past and you didnt offend me

I think he can be released from a hospital once they decide he is no longer insane. I doubt it would take long for him to get his act together and persuade them he is well again. Therefore he will have the chance of a life whereas life without parole in prison = never walking free.

I guess that is something that will need to be answered. Either here - because I know there are very smart people here who would know the answer to this - or in court.

But in my head, I have it in there that no one would allow him to walk free again. Even if "cured" by medications, therapies, etc. Because they would have NO WAY to determine if he would stay on his meds, etc. And I just don't think any doctor or facility could take that chance.

Does anyone know one way or another how that works?

Quote Originally Posted by LyndyLoo View Post
    BBM~~
    Oh yes, there's been a history of this. In fact, I recall one case termed as "The twinkie Defence" which of course didn't work. But having watched many cases with Insanity defence, mostly failed in those States where Defence has to prove it versus Colorado's view. It's the reason the Prosecution can bring in so much evidence.

In States where Defence has to prove their CIC, Often Prosecution is limited by the Judge citing "piling on/cumulative" to prejudice the defendant..or something like that.

Good afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by LyndyLoo View Post
    BBM~~

Yup! That was a San Francisco murder trial...and I was 10 at the time, and thought it was so funny! I lived about 30 miles away, so it was highly publicized here. He ate too many Twinkies and sugary food, and it made him crazy!

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman 5 minutes ago

One of Pettolina's many trips to the theater model on the floor of the #theatershooting courtroom today.

CE-g-AmUIAAmc9r.jpg

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman 3 minutes ago

This testimony can get repetitive, but important to note that each impact could have wounded or killed someone -- or did. #theatershooting

Yup! That was a San Francisco murder trial...and I was 10 at the time, and thought it was so funny! I lived about 30 miles away, so it was highly publicized here. He ate too many Twinkies and sugary food, and it made him crazy!
    I have eaten a lot of sugary snacks in my time. In fact I ended up putting a lot of weight on and got Diabetes! I never attacked anyone though! Did that defence work?

Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast