Tears of joy for Va. family as man pardoned after 29 years

Tulessa

Reaction score
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Michael Kenneth McAlister's family shed more than a few tears over the 29 years he was locked up for an attempted rape he didn't commit.

The tears flowed again for a different reason Wednesday. Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe granted McAlister, 58, a full pardon — long-awaited vindication that family members were told about on a conference call with the wrongly convicted man's lawyers.

http://news.yahoo.com/tears-joy-va-family-man-pardoned-29-years-085303641.html

Lovely story. While it does make me smile, I can't help but feel some anger (not against the victim for her testimony) and sorrow too. This happens far more often than we would like to believe.

Lovely story. While it does make me smile, I can't help but feel some anger (not against the victim for her testimony) and sorrow too. This happens far more often than we would like to believe.
Oh I agree, Montjoy. These stories are always so bittersweet because you think of all of the years of freedom those individuals have lost and the toll it has taken on their whole family. Plus, it's a reminder that not everyone behind bars is guilty of a crime, but it's wonderful that advances in technology can help exonerate some who have been wrongly convicted and prevent many others from suffering the same fate.

this made me so happy for my home state. i've been recently doing a lot of reading about the criminal justice system and mcalister's case was one that i read about and i was so ashamed that the governor i voted for to be us senator refused to exonerate him. but now i am thankful he is finally able to spend time with his family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back