Wife on flight forbidden to call suicidal husband who killed himself

zwiebel

Reaction score
Karen Momsen-Evers boarded a flight this week, from New Orleans back to Milwaukee. As the plane took off, she received a text from her husband, saying he was going to kill himself and asking for her forgiveness.

Karen says a Southwest Airliness flight attendant 'slapped' her phone down, as she tried to call her husband back, citing FAA regulations.

Karen was allowed to call her husband back on arrival at Milwaukee. But by then, police were there to meet her, to break the news that her husband was dead.

Southwest Airlines said:

"Our hearts go out to the Evers family during this difficult time."

http://www.scrippsmedia.com/tmj4/news/special-assignments/A-Call-for-Help-303432281.html?lc=Smart

Hopefully Karen has filed a complaint. This was an emergency. Smh.
My condolences for the loss of her husband :(

The airline could have handled it better, but he texted her when he knew she was on or boarding the plane; I am guessing he figured she would have her phone off and she would get it when she landed.
I am not blaming her at all, but why did she take off for a girl's weekend when her husband was depressed/suicidal? That doesn't seem prudent to me. If she was so worried, she should have stayed home with him. (It still might not have made a difference; Robin Williams' wife was in the next room.)

Such an emergency she flew across the country 2 days before to be with friends? With no clue he was in emotional distress? Suicide is something that comes on over time, except for the occasional impulsive teenager. And anyone who thinks they can prevent a truly suicidal person from completing the act by the right word or action is living in fantasy land. Obviously, she knew this man's problems, knew her presence would not make him or break him one way or the other. And he chose to text her when he knew she could not call. How is the airline responsible??

Does an emergency override FAA regulations?
I wouldn't want anything disrupting the pilot when he is trying to take off.

Such an emergency she flew across the country 2 days before to be with friends? With no clue he was in emotional distress? Suicide is something that comes on over time, except for the occasional impulsive teenager. And anyone who thinks they can prevent a truly suicidal person from completing the act by the right word or action is living in fantasy land. Obviously, she knew this man's problems, knew her presence would not make him or break him one way or the other. And he chose to text her when he knew she could not call. How is the airline responsible??

BBM. It's extremely common for a grieving person to put undue blame upon themselves and/or others for the death of their loved one. Of course she's in a "fantasy land". She just lost her husband.

So tragic. I don't think I could ever recover from something like this.

A complaint about an FAA rule designed for safety? What was the emergency? He didn't call her, he texted her. She texted back, "no." Obviously, he was avoiding speaking to her. That isn't the airline's fault.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back