Laura Babcock: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich charged w/ Murder in the First Degree #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Toronto Police Service
News Release

Missing Woman Laura Babcock, 23
Broadcast time: 13:06 Monday, July 16, 2012
22 Division 416−808−2200

The Toronto Police Service is requesting the public’s assistance locating a missing woman.
Laura Babcock, 23, was last seen on Tuesday, June 26, 2012, at 9 p.m., in the Queen Street
West/Roncesvalles Avenue area.
She is described as white, 5'10", 150 lbs., with a thin build. She has brown eyes and long brown hair dyed blonde.
Police are concerned for her safety. Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416−808−2200, Crime Stoppers
anonymously at 416−222−TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637), or Leave A Tip on Facebook.
Constable Wendy Drummond, Corporate Communications, for Detective Steve Woodhouse, 22 Division

Updated 10 April, 2014

Bosma murder suspect charged with killing missing woman, father
Sandie Benitah, CP24.com
Published Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:11PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:12PM EDT

A suspect accused of kidnapping and killing an Ancaster family man now also stands accused of killing his own father and his ex-girlfriend.

Dellen Millard, 28, who is in jail awaiting trial for the murder of Tim Bosma, was charged Wednesday with the first-degree murder of his father Wayne Millard and his former companion Laura Babcock, the Ontario Provincial Police has confirmed.

Read more: http://www.cp24.com/news/bosma-murd...-missing-woman-father-1.1770155#ixzz2ygS2Hm1L
Clairmont: Police believe body of accused Bosma killer's girlfriend was incinerated
Hamilton Spectator -- By Susan Clairmont

Homicide detectives believe Dellen Millard bought a gun illegally and used it to murder his father. And that he also murdered Laura Babcock and incinerated her body — just as he allegedly did with Tim Bosma.
http://www.ourwindsor.ca/news-story/4460278-clairmont-police-believe-babcock-s-body-was-incinerated/

Thread #1

I wish I shared your confidence sillybilly, but lets be fair many charges are laid based on presumption not fact. If charges were based on fact there would be no need for a trial. JMO

Respectfully Tamarind how do you figure that? When someone is charged by LE for a crime, they have the legal right to fight the charges against them. Even something as trivial as a parking ticket can be fought in a court of law. Guilty people plead not guilty quite often and especially when it's a serious crime leading to a lengthy prison sentence. My opinion is the accused have plead not guilty because it is their only hope in heck of not having to spend the rest of their lives in a prison cell.

We mustn't lose site of the fact the preliminary hearing has been bypassed and for a justifiable reason and I certainly have my doubt it was done away with to save money but more so just as the AG stated: “When this procedure is supported, it’s because there is good evidence that the person that is accused will be convicted.”

Attorney General Madeleine Meilleur approved the decision to skip a preliminary hearing, suggesting the evidence will support the decision.

Respectfully again Tamarind, I wish I could share your confidence in believing the accused are innocent of murdering three people along with destroying their loved ones rights to have them in their lives. ALL MOO.

For the victims, life will be somewhat better once justice is served and the murderers are handed down their much deserved sentences. There will always be a huge void in the hearts of their loved one who, just as the murdered, they did not deserve this pure evilness which was forced upon them. ALL MOO.

Justice will prevail and we can once again be grateful our Canadian justice system worked. We just need to have patience and know the murderer(s) won't be getting on with their lives outside of jail/prison walls ever again. And that's JMHO. I'm keeping faith.

Respectfully Tamarind how do you figure that? When someone is charged by LE for a crime, they have the legal right to fight the charges against them. Even something as trivial as a parking ticket can be fought in a court of law. Guilty people plead not guilty quite often and especially when it's a serious crime leading to a lengthy prison sentence. My opinion is the accused have plead not guilty because it is their only hope in heck of not having to spend the rest of their lives in a prison cell.

We mustn't lose site of the fact the preliminary hearing has been bypassed and for a justifiable reason and I certainly have my doubt it was done away with to save money but more so just as the AG stated: “When this procedure is supported, it’s because there is good evidence that the person that is accused will be convicted.”

Attorney General Madeleine Meilleur approved the decision to skip a preliminary hearing, suggesting the evidence will support the decision.

Respectfully again Tamarind, I wish I could share your confidence in believing the accused are innocent of murdering three people along with destroying their loved ones rights to have them in their lives. ALL MOO.

For the victims, life will be somewhat better once justice is served and the murderers are handed down their much deserved sentences. There will always be a huge void in the hearts of their loved one who, just as the murdered, they did not deserve this pure evilness which was forced upon them. ALL MOO.

Justice will prevail and we can once again be grateful our Canadian justice system worked. We just need to have patience and know the murderer(s) won't be getting on with their lives outside of jail/prison walls ever again. And that's JMHO. I'm keeping faith.

agreeing to disagree...

Obviously someone (not the people involved) have said this. I still maintain it is ONE source unless you have any links to another source(s). The police were given information by SL. SL got information from an unnamed friend.

So SL only referred to one friend of LB's who he spoke to. What about all the other friends he and reporters spoke to and have spoken to since? More importantly how about the friends who spoke to LE but have remained quiet? Just because everything didn't get put in print, doesn't mean that information doesn't exist does it? MOO.

Those close to Babcock, 23, knew about her deteriorating mental health months before she vanished in early July 2012 — before accused triple murderer Dellen Millard and his friend, Mark Smich, were ever charged with her murder.

The Star spoke to nearly a dozen people who knew Babcock best, tracing her life, her tragic struggle and the final moments before she was gone — as well as what they say police did and did not do to find her.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...ck_leaves_lingering_questions_for_police.html

So SL only referred to one friend of LB's who he spoke to. What about all the other friends he and reporters spoke to and have spoken to since? More importantly how about the friends who spoke to LE but have remained quiet? Just because everything didn't get put in print, doesn't mean that information doesn't exist does it? MOO.

Doesn't mean that it does exist either. Maybe they had nothing of value to contribute. JMO

Those close to Babcock, 23, knew about her deteriorating mental health months before she vanished in early July 2012 — before accused triple murderer Dellen Millard and his friend, Mark Smich, were ever charged with her murder.

Mental health problems can make people say and do very odd things.

The Star spoke to nearly a dozen people who knew Babcock best, tracing her life, her tragic struggle and the final moments before she was gone — as well as what they say police did and did not do to find her.

A dozen people who may not have much else to say other than about LB's state of mind or her dog. JMO

Doesn't mean that it does exist either. Maybe they had nothing of value to contribute. JMO

A dozen people who may not have much else to say other than about LB's state of mind or her dog. JMO

Well I assume for all these friends to come forward, to share what they know of their dear friend, there must have been something of great value to share with LE to eventually connect the dots.

After all look at all the information we've been privy to thus far. Who shared all that information? In one interview with TR, he claimed she seemed quite normal when he spoke with her. Maybe there are those people who spoke and only went on rumours blowing things out of proportion about certain issues. MOO.

swedie #491 Thread DM+MS

Very interesting and thank you Matou.

Ann Brocklehurst ‏@AnnB03 2h2 hours ago
Weird. Target trial dates for Wayne Millard and Laura Babcock murders are apparently September and October 2015. Awaiting confirmation

.@crazydutchie Yes, on one level, it seems it has to be wrong. But on another level it sort of makes sense

.@crazydutchie I have never believed there will be more than one trial

It's been over three years. RIP Laura. Justice is coming.

Isn't LB's state of mind and her dog important, given that she disappeared?

Not everyone that has a mental health problem says and does strange things. For instance, people with fibromyalgia or Lyme Disease often suffer crushing mental health problems because of their illness, but that does not mean they are out on the streets doing the funky chicken. Mental health issues manifest themselves in many different ways. Everybody deals with challenges differently.

It's been over three years. RIP Laura. Justice is coming.

Amen.

It won't be long now before her loved ones find out what happened to her and DM is given a life sentence in prison for her murder. MOO.

This case is going direct to trial!!

[h=1]Direct indictment issued in Laura Babcock murder case[/h]
http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/2015/09/direct-indictment-issued-in-laura-babcock-case.html

Maybe the prosecution is going to avoid any cross questioning at a pre-lim in the hope they can sway a jury with words and whatever they consider to be evidence at the trial. Some preliminary hearings have been known to expose weaknesses in the case. Bypassing that may help if case is reliant on the crowns created version of events. Just a thought.

Maybe the prosecution is going to avoid any cross questioning at a pre-lim in the hope they can sway a jury with words and whatever they consider to be evidence at the trial. Some preliminary hearings have been known to expose weaknesses in the case. Bypassing that may help if case is reliant on the crowns created version of events. Just a thought.

They wouldn't have approved a DI if the evidence was weak.

I smell roast goose!

They wouldn't have approved a DI if the evidence was weak.

I smell roast goose!

Many cases have been made to look like the writing is on the wall. The real test will be at trial when the jury has to decide whether the writing makes sense to them. Good juries would be dissecting everything. JMO

I smell pollock.

Many cases have been made to look like the writing is on the wall. The real test will be at trial when the jury has to decide whether the writing makes sense to them. Good juries would be dissecting everything. JMO

I smell pollock.

I wonder what difference it will make if DM and MS are convicted of TB's murder before LB's trial begins...will that information be admissible?

I wonder what difference it will make if DM and MS are convicted of TB's murder before LB's trial begins...will that information be admissible?

Thats a good question ..... but I think the answer is no .... you cannot build a current case for murder based on a previous case of murder. I dont think it can even be mentioned in court.

It is at the time of sentencing that all the past crimes (or lack of crimes) can be brought forward and read in court.

My biggest worry is the judge might try to enforce a media blackout until ALL the cases are dealt with.

Which would be about the year 2020

Thats a good question ..... but I think the answer is no .... you cannot build a current case for murder based on a previous case of murder. I dont think it can even be mentioned in court.

It is at the time of sentencing that all the past crimes (or lack of crimes) can be brought forward and read in court.

My biggest worry is the judge might try to enforce a media blackout until ALL the cases are dealt with.

Which would be about the year 2020

I'm not sure that will happen...wouldn't that be quite unprecedented? I mean, this is an unusual bunch of related cases, but have they ever clamped down so hard on e.g., a bunch of gang trials? I mean keep in mind that the TB trial is high public interest too. Will the public stand for it if everything in the TB trial is kept secret for years?

I think we are still going to get news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member