Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TX - Jennifer Cave, 21, brutally murdered, Austin, 16 Aug 2005

The search continues in Austin for a University of Texas student accused in the death of a 21-year-old Corpus Christi woman.

Police found the body of Jennifer Cave on Thursday in a condominum in a West Campus neighborhood. A family friend says Cave's body had been mutilated.
    http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3748371
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Laura Hall, Convicted in Dismemberment Slaying of Jennifer Cave, 10 Year Sentence

Laura Ashley Hall was convicted of felony tampering with evidence and hindering prosecution and was serving a 5 year sentence in connection with the 2005 murder and dismemberment of UT student Jennifer Cave. Colton Pitonyak is also serving a 55 year sentence for his part in Cave's Murder.

The 3rd Court of Appeals on Feb. 19 overturned the five-year sentence of Laura Ashley Hall-- the appellate court upheld Hall's actual conviction, but ruled that prosecutorial missteps entitle Hall to a new sentencing trial. A new jury will be seated to hear all of the evidence and issue a new verdict re: sentencing. Pending the new trial, Hall is free on $150,000 bond.

You can read the appellate Opinion here.

Hall To Get a New Trial, via MyFoxHouston, Feb. 19 2009

Laura Hall Free On Bond, via The Austin Chronicle, Feb. 27, 2009

Anyone who hasn't heard about this case should check it out-- very, very disturbing.

The brutal slaying of Jennifer Cave was profiled during an episode of 48 Hours:
    Read In Too Deep, 48 Hours Transcript.
    Watch the broadcast online here.

Kathryn Casey also profiled the murder of Jennifer Cave in her true crime book Amazon.com: A Descent Into Hell: The True Story of an Altar Boy, a Cheerleader, and a Twisted Texas Murder (9780061230875): Kathryn Casey: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bvG8-79bL.@@AMEPARAM@@51bvG8-79bL

Jennifer Cave's mother also worked to get the Texas legislature to enact The Jennifer Cave Act, a bill which allows the criminal desecration of a corpse to be prosecuted as a felony.

--

Did anyone else follow this case? I was outraged by Hall's original sentence and am now totally shocked that she's already free!
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 08-29-2015 at 11:32 PM. Reason: broken link

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nancy botwin For This Useful Post:

Yes, I have followed this case. I am up the road from UT. I'm completely disgusted and nauseated that she is free. Her original sentence was a farce.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kat For This Useful Post:

I'm reading Kathryn Casey's book right now. I'm just at the part where Colton has been arrested and Laura is telling everyone her story is going to be that they were on vacation and she knew nothing about Jennifer's murder.

What a horrible, horrible tragedy this was.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SleuthyMama For This Useful Post:

OMG

My daughter is finishing up her freshman year at UT as I type...I can't believe I have never heard of this case! She'll also be moving into an apartment in West Campus for the summer - yikes! I'm off to buy the book now....

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KT Can For This Useful Post:

I recently read the book by Kathryn Casey about this case. What a slap on the wrist Laura got.

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to White Rain For This Useful Post:

I have never even heard about this case...all I can say is WHAAaaaaaat? she's getting out? S*I*C*K

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Columbo For This Useful Post:

I just read this book. There haven't been many people on this earth that have disgusted as much as Laura and Colton.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SisterMadly For This Useful Post:

Woman convicted in connection with grisly Austin murder screams, begs for release in court

by CLARA TUMA / KVUE News
    Posted on February 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM

AUSTIN, Texas -- A woman convicted of tampering with evidence in a brutal 2005 murder is back in jail.

Laura Hall screamed and begged to be released as deputies forcibly removed her from Judge Wilford Flowers' courtroom Monday morning.

Hall had hoped to remain free on bond until a new sentencing hearing, which is tentatively scheduled for next month, but the judge said he had no choice but to order her locked up until that hearing takes place.

Hall was convicted of hindering apprehension and tampering with evidence in connection with the 2005 murder of Jennifer Cave.

When told she would be taken into custody, Hall began screaming: "Please get me out of this," and "You need to let me go home."

Court officers forcibly removed her from the courtroom. Outside of public view, Hall apparently collapsed because officers could be heard saying loudly, "Get on your feet. On your feet."

more here

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/...-83883527.html
    What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
    But if that drop was not in the ocean,
    I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.
    ~~ Mother Theresa ~~

Where is Rachel Cooke? Missing since 10-Jan-2002
    Rachel's thread - WS
    RachelCookeSearch.org

17. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Texas Mist For This Useful Post:

Oh my gosh! I'm glad she is back in jail. What did she mean "she is innocent"? She has been convicted! And the appeal was not even about her conviction - just how much time she received. I hope she gets a whole lot longer that 5 years, now!

Salem

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

i saw this case on 48 hours mystery and to tell you truth i still am not convinced she did what they charged her with.
    if i recall the evideence they had was her fingerprints in the living room (not on the bathtub where she was dismembered) and this guys testimony to try to save some of his own behind.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:

The appeal was completed in March of 2009. Why has it taken this long to put her back in jail until the new sentencing trial?

Salem

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salem For This Useful Post:

Reporter on The Early Show this morning said a new witness has come forward saying that Laura Hall made the statement that she got away with murder...

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tut med For This Useful Post:

i bet its someone she shared a cell with once,

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kbl8201 For This Useful Post:

Wow, how sad that she's free pending sentencing. very very sad day. Sure, go ahead, give her the green light to do it again. already saying prayers for all of the released murderers next victims. At this rate, it's all I can do
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Angels_Not_Forgotten For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast