Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CA - Patrick Kim McDermott, 48, San Pedro, 2005 (Olivia Newton John's lover)

CA - Patrick Kim McDermott, 48, San Pedro, 2005 (Olivia Newton John's lover)

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...showbiz2.shtml

GREASE star Olivia Newton-John's long-term lover has VANISHED during a boat trip—and officials say he may have faked his own death.

Singer Olivia, 56, fears Patrick Kim McDermott—her boyfriend of nine years—is dead after he failed to come home from a fishing expedition nearly TWO MONTHS ago.

She clings to the hope that he is still alive because his body has not been found. And the uncertainty is making her frantic—especially as coast guards won't rule out the possibility that the 47-year-old American dad of one has faked his death and done a runner.

More at the link
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 04-03-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Question Two months?

I haven't heard of this before, but I'm not up on all the entertainment news.
    What an awful time she's had, in her personal life, anyway.

I wonder why LE suppects that he might have faked his own death. There doesn't seem to be any reason for him to do that and he does have a teenage son. I'm curious to what the others on the boat had to say.

No one on the boat notified the Coast Guard that he was missing? The article says that the Coast Guard was called by family when he didn't show up for a family event a few days later. Sounds suspious to me but not like he faked his own death. Maybe foul play?

http://www.lapdonline.org/press_rele...iew.php?id=106
    August 10, 2005

LAPD and Coast Guard Looking For Missing Man

Los Angeles: Coast Guard Investigative Service is asking for the public’s assistance in locating 48-year-old Patrick Kim McDermott, of Van Nuys, who has been missing since July 1, 2005.

According to investigators, McDermott told his friends that he was going on an overnight fishing trip out of the city of San Pedro and would be returning on the evening of July 1, 2005. On July 6, McDermott failed to show up at a family event and his family became concerned. On July 11, his family began a search and discovered his car in the parking lot of the 22nd Street Marina in San Pedro. His personal items were also found inside the fishing boat. McDermott’s family contacted the Coast Guard immediately after this discovery.

The investigation revealed that Mc Dermott was last seen aboard a sport fishing vessel which departed out of the San Pedro Harbor on June 30, 2005.

The Los Angeles Police Department’s Missing Persons Unit is assisting Coast Guard Investigators.

Anyone with information is asked to call Coast Guard Investigator Dennis Nebrich at 310-732-7344. On weekends and during off-hours, call the 24-hour toll free number at the Detective Information Desk at 1-877-LAWFULL (1-877-529-3855).
    www.findmadeleine.com

CA-Olivia Newton-John's boyfriend missing

Sounds like he fell or was pushed off the fishing boat.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/21/oli...ing/index.html

I wonder why this article has a picture of Olivia rather than him since HE is the one who's missing? He's been missing since the end of June and this is the first I've heard of it. Interesting.

It is interesting. I'd always heard she was a lesbian....hmm. I hope they find him!
    Jaybird

With few clues, however, authorities are also not sure if Patrick Kim McDermott did not meet a grisly end on an overnight fishing expedition off the coast of California.

The last time McDermott, who was in a nine-year relationship with Newton-John, was seen was when he boarded an overnight fishing vessel on June 30 at San Pedro Harbour, south of Los Angeles.

The 48-year-old boarded alone, but the vessel was packed with crew and other anglers, who did not know McDermott and who were all looking forward to 24 hours of fishing.

Despite interviews with the crew and numerous anglers aboard the boat after McDermott's family declared him missing on July 11, authorities have no substantial leads.

Authorities are not sure if McDermott walked off the boat when it docked at San Pedro on July 1 or whether he jumped from the boat, was pushed or vanished by other means while at sea.

McDermott's personal items, such as a backpack and fishing gear, were left on the boat. His car also remained in the parking lot near the San Pedro marina until it was found by concerned family members on July 11.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?...ectID=10341975
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Ok, this is pretty odd. Newton-John supposedly had an intense and committed relationship with the man. He goes to an overnight fishing trip on 06-30. On 07-06 "family" became concerned when he didn't show up for a "family" (which includes his 15 yo son) gathering. His car was found in the parking lot on 07-11 and the "family" then reported him missing.
    So no one apparently missed him between 07-01 when he would have been expected to get off the boat and 07-06 when he missed the family gathering.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

This is an updated article with a pic of both of them saying it is recent photo.

http://www.ajc.com/hp/content/shared...boyfriend.html

On Rita Cosby just now she asked what I wondered: why did it take so long for this guy to be noticed and reported missing?? Found out Olivia was in AU. and said she didn't know (still strange - she wasn't concerned after not hearing from him for a few days?) and it was his ex-wife who finally reported him missing 11 days later. There was a sighting of him getting off the boat. Wallet left on the boat. Probably Greta will have more at 10, but I'm not waiting up!

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Ok, this is pretty odd. Newton-John supposedly had an intense and committed relationship with the man. He goes to an overnight fishing trip on 06-30. On 07-06 "family" became concerned when he didn't show up for a "family" (which includes his 15 yo son) gathering. His car was found in the parking lot on 07-11 and the "family" then reported him missing.
    So no one apparently missed him between 07-01 when he would have been expected to get off the boat and 07-06 when he missed the family gathering.
    Hmmmmm....something really doesn't sound right with this. Even after he doesn't show up for the family gathering on 07-06, he is not reported missing until his car is found on 07-11. I wonder if it was common for him to go off by himself for days at a time without letting anyone know? I would also like to know if he frequently went on these fishing trips or if this was his first.
    Retired 08/03/03

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    This is very odd! I hope if I ever go missing that I will be missed long before that much time has passed, especially if I am in a long term relationship.

From the The Courier

McDermott, a photographer, left on an overnight fishing trip but never returned, sparking fears he has died or may even have faked his own death.

Yesterday US Coast Guard Commander Danny Phee told The Courier-Mail McDermott’s ex-wife telephoned to report him missing.

“They found a backpack on board,” Commander McPhee said.
    First time I had seen that as a possibility in this case.

Wow!!! I know if my husband/boyfriend were missing...I would have notified LE ASAP!!! Sheesh...what's going on with people?!!

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

I wonder if he wanted to end the relationship with ONJ but just was afraid of repercussions or problems about it? Seems an extreme way to do it, though. I really hope this is all it is.

Olivia NJ was in Australia at the time he went missing, I think it was the opening of her new business venture here. I don't know whether she knew straight away either. She's got a PI that she hired looking for him. It sounds like she's still over here, but the news reports are a bit unclear on that. Here's one of the latest nws reports from here:
    http://entertainment.news.com.au/sto...4-7484,00.html

Another news story with more info, apparently he was seen leaving the boat when it docked.
    http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5E1702,00.html
    Last edited by kez; 08-23-2005 at 07:23 PM. Reason: to add info & link

One interesting item is the missing cash. Wallet, credit cards, coins all there but no cash.

It was said that it was his ex who reported him missing 5 days after he was to have returned, not Olivia. He was having financial difficulties as well as some problems with his ex and alimony. (On Abrams I think!)

Sounds fishy to me!

Do you think he committed suicide? Why was the cash gone?

John's missing boyfriend has a history of violence, abuse and welshing on childcare payments.

Just weeks before disappearing, Patrick McDermott – who vanished after he went on a July 1 overnight fishing trip off the California coast – was ordered by a court to pay outstanding child maintenance payments.

McDermott also has a long-standing bitter custody dispute with his ex-wife, CSI actress Yvette Nipa, over their son Chance and was accused of assaulting and abusing her.
    http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...55E954,00.html

The 48-year-old photographer also holds a $132,000 life insurance policy that will be paid out to his son if he dies or is presumed dead.
    http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/st...toryid=3667168

Just heard an "inkling" on talk radio asking/suggesting about ONJ. Hmmmmm.

OY!!! If this doesn't scream "starting a new life under a fake name" I don't know what does. I just wonder how much info ONJ has. IMO, if I were famous and my long time BF disappeared I would be on every TV show, Radio anything and use my celebrity to find him and I have only heard about this HERE. Is it just me or does this seem fishy, get it fishy?
    "It seems that this is larger than I am. More than I can handle. Yet I know that I am being carried, for I am not strong enough to carry myself. I do not have the answers now but one day I will know and understand and maybe one day I will help to carry another." Joanne Cacciatore~

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBathHotPants
    OY!!! If this doesn't scream "starting a new life under a fake name" I don't know what does. I just wonder how much info ONJ has. IMO, if I were famous and my long time BF disappeared I would be on every TV show, Radio anything and use my celebrity to find him and I have only heard about this HERE. Is it just me or does this seem fishy, get it fishy?
    It is kind of fishy! I found an article talking about how grieving ONJ is NOW cancelling appearances in the US to promote her new album being released soon. He's been missing since June. Why is she just now cancelling appearances now that the news is out? I'm sure those appearances have been scheduled for a while. Just seems strange to me. I get the impression that ONJ didn't want the news to get out, and now that it is, she's cancelling her appearances. Hmmm. No offense to ONJ or to her fans, but is just seems strange.

This is a strange case. Olivia said that she hasn't come forward out of respect for his family. I don't know when she found out that he was missing. She may have known from the beginning but didn't come forward until recently.

I don't understand how he could be faking his own death. He would have had to had a way to get off the boat somewhere and it didn't dock anywhere. He paid his food bill in the galley when they were on the way home and 3 miles from docking. If he was going to fake his own death he wouldn't have waited till he was that close to home I wouldn't think anyway.

He may not have had any cash with him after he paid his food bill or he could have paid that with a debit/credit card. Now days there are a lot of people who don't carry any cash.

It was just a bunch of guys going fishing on a chartered boat to my knowledge. Maybe some of the guys were buddys but I don't think he knew the other fishermen so no one really paid any attention to him. It is my understanding that no one really knows if he got off the boat or not but they do know that he left his backpack behind with his license, credit cards, passport, etc in it. His car was still in the parking lot.

Truly a puzzle. Don't know why anyone would want to do him harm on the boat as he didn't seem to know anyone....if he fell or jumped overboard it had to have been within 3 miles of docking back at home. If he faked his own death he had to have a way to get off the boat and to get somewhere else.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbisangel For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast