730 users online (89 members and 641 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I recently made a trip to his alleged high school - where he told me he went to school, and where the police said his high school diploma was from. The principal confirmed that no one with his name ever attended a school in that district.
    ^ See, I was figuring he'd have to faked a LOT of documents to get a passport, work, etc under his fake name. But what average person has the resources and wherewithal to obtain/produce that level of fraudulent documentation? That the fake ID was *so* thorough, and also used in the long-term, strongly suggests to me WPP, or an experienced criminal of some sort (with access to the means of forging official documents) hiding out in plain sight.

If he was a computer whiz, he may have also faked his own documents using a printer.. But in any case, to go so far as he did to hide his identity implies to me Mike very well could have been on the run from *some* massive threat or other. Death threats? A hefty prison term? A million bucks in overdue child support?

His fingerprints and dental records may yet be what 'finds' him. It'd be very worth finding out if those were ever obtained, or possibly (via exhumation) could be now (in the case of dental records, at least).

The real puzzler here for me is - why would a young and not-deathly-ill man planning a soon-to-be trip to Germany pre-plan his funeral in the country he was about to leave? It makes zero sense to me.

How do you know it was Mike that was dead and buried? Could he have assumed another identity and moved on?

Just riffing out loud here, wild hairy thoughts, no hard theory involved:

That 'Mike' sought out a friendship at all could imply that he was feeling very lonely and isolated. Anyone who has hidden himself that thoroughly would have to have some pretty powerful mind-ninja skills/heavy motivation toward complete immersion in his 'cover', to want to completely fake a friendship as part of his cover. If he was not a hardened serial killer/international top secret agent/whatever, he might have been lonely enough to seek some real human contact. In which case, it would pay to recall as much detail as possible, regarding the lies he told. They *may* contain some truth.

Small towns are pretty much all alike - even the ones way over here in Aus are not terribly different to those in the US and Canada, in their social structures and so on. He may well have grown up in a small town *somewhere*. If he's accurately described land marks of the small town/s he said he grew up in, this may point to time actually spent there (though likely not in childhood).. It might be worthwhile checking out those towns for those details, and passing his picture around.

Quote Originally Posted by EGirl View Post
    How do you know it was Mike that was dead and buried? Could he have assumed another identity and moved on?
    That's an interesting thought! It gets me thinking of spy thrillers... I mean, if he was an International Man of Intrigue who faked the death of his fake identity, it'd sure explain why he faked everything, how he faked everything, why he both provided a cover story for his leaving, and also pre-planned his funeral. If we're going there -- a faked heart attack on some unwitting look-alike patsy and a hasty burial/cremation (I'd bet on cremation...) is not *entirely* impossible.

Either this guy is James Bond and/or a complete sociopath, or he was hiding out of fear and *possibly* suspected someone was going to find and kill him before he could get out of the country.

Or maybe his doctor warned him of a couple blocked arteries.

If there was a funeral, no one was told about it.

I actually knew the town he was from, as my grandmother grew up there and I visited it a number of times when I was a kid. So I remembered it, but very vaguely. We actually bonded because we were from the same area. I didn't think about it until after he died and his fraudulent identity was revealed how perfect it was that I had such vague memories about it, enough to make his stories seem legitimate to me.

I've often wondered about the Witness Protection angle. But I guess I always thought that if he died, all of the facts would come out. Whoever had him under a WPP (police? RCMP?) would be able to reveal his true identity. It wouldn't need to be a secret anymore. That having been said: I don't actually know anything about how WPP work.

If you have a PI working on this case, I'd ask him to find out for you.. perhaps, if indeed there's a means to find out, he can. I think the WPP angle is very worth investigating, as it's kind of the Occam's Razor theory here IMO.

Also, maybe check out the Canadian laws for release of medical files after death... if you cannot get them at all, it'd surely be in the interest of police to have a look at those, and see whether he had any existing heart issues.

Waitasec -- "if" there was a funeral? Now, I am sure the police would have the authority to inquire on whether there was or was not an actual funeral. In any case, if 'Mike' did indeed die, his body would have to go *somewhere*.

If he was in WPP and his cover was suspected of being blown, the police *might* be complicit in faking his death? But what kind of full-on case would he be involved with, for the local PD to aid in a such a complex cover-up? Why not just ship him off to Germany?

I've been told that Mike filed a "pre-need" contract with a funeral company - whether that included a funeral, a burial, or a cremation is private information. And the funeral company is taking it very seriously. But you're right - there is a possibility to obtain that through the police. The police detective I've been dealing with thinks they might be able to exercise some discretion with finding out and relaying the information. I'm hoping that they are able to deliver.

Good point on the WPP. I'll talk to my private investigator about it. He will definitely know what is likely.

And for what it's worth, I recognize how foolish this all seems in retrospect. Surely there must have been some clues at the time that indicated Mike wasn't who he said he was, right? I ask myself that all the time. I was a 21 year old kid from a small town. So maybe it was youth or just plain na´vetÚ. Whatever it was, I was duped 100%. All that having been said - he really was a nice guy to hang around.

If he took the name of a little boy from a small town who died in 1973, I'd say he probably lived in that town in 1973, and was somewhere near the boy's age--or near enough for the story to make an impression on him. Maybe he even went to school with him. So probably someone born around 1968, who lived near Port Hardy, in North Island / Vancouver Island, B.C. http://www.porthardy.com/

Also, I wouldn't automatically assume the worst. Maybe he just had an unhappy childhood, and decided to reinvent himself, with a new name and backstory.

Dylan - thing is, people of ALL ages and IQ's and backgrounds get fooled *all* the time, because it's in our nature as human beings to accept that if someone appears to be genuine (and sometimes even if they do not, so much), then they must be.

Either your friend was a pathological liar who used you as a part of his cover story, or he was in some deep-cover situation out of need and got lonely - and had to embellish details, to keep his story straight (and in line with the 'stolen' ID? where did the original Mike come from, again?)

In any case, this really is pretty interesting. I hope you'll do us the favour of keeping us informed of what your PI turns up, if anything..

I would want to know if any friend or acquaintance that knew Mike actually identified his body.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    Also, I wouldn't automatically assume the worst. Maybe he just had an unhappy childhood, and decided to reinvent himself, with a new name and backstory.
    .. which also makes sense.

Though, he did go to an inordinate amount of effort, if so. For most people in that situattion (and I know two people who actually did this..), simply moving away/change of name by deed poll would suffice. But then, people are strange.

Fascinating story!

Did Mike befriend others at the job? Had you ever been to his home? I'm curious if there were family photos and how he lived.

I to am curious if this man really died or moved on to a new identity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing of interest to add here, just wanted to say Wow.......

James Scott Walton, disappeared 25 yrs ago.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015...ssumed-id.html

"May 22 2015

Police say a Caledonia, Ont., man who disappeared in 1992 took the name of a dead boy and lived under the assumed name until his death 10 years later.

James Scott Walton was reported missing after he failed to arrive for a scheduled visit with friends at Syracuse University.

His vehicle and personal effects were found near the airport in Buffalo, N.Y.

Ontario Provincial Police say they’ve discovered Walton had assumed the name of Michael Debourcier — a four-year-old boy who had died in a car crash in British Columbia — and moved to Toronto in 2000".

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast