1205 users online (233 members and 972 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

Please continue here.

Thread #1
    Thread #2
    Thread #3
    Thread #4

Facebook: Who Is This Man? Possible Alias: Lyle Stevik
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Who-I...26230690768530

NamUs: https://identifyus.org/cases/11100

The Doe Network:
    Case File 233UMWA

Reconstruction of Victim created by David M. Morris.

Unidentified White / Native Male

Located on September 17, 2001 in Amanda Park, Grays Harbor County, Washington.
    Date of death is September 16, 2001

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 20 - 30 years old
    Approximate Height and Weight: 6'2"; 140 lbs.
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic. Black hair; hazel eyes. His hair was neatly trimmed.
    Distinguishing Marks: Appendectomy scar on abdomen. He had recently lost a lot of weight (possibly 30-40 pounds). A small mole on the left side of his chin. His earlobes were attached. His appendix scar was old.
    Clothing: All in very good shape were a Blue plaid shirt, gray Fruit of the Loom T-shirt, Levi 550 blue jeans (size 36-34), black Timberland boots (size 10 Medium) and a black leather belt (markings "genuine leather made in USA" along with "7301" and "L31".
    Fingerprints: Available
    Dentals: Available. Teeth in near perfect shape. He had orthodontic work done.
    DNA: in CODIS
    Other: It is possible that he spoke with a slight Canadian or similar accent.

Case History
    The body of this white or Native male was located in a Quinault area motel. His death has been ruled a suicide.

He had checked into the motel using the name "Lyle Stevik" from 1019 S. Progress Avenue, Meridian, Idaho. The address he listed is for a motel. Lyle Stevik is a character in the book You Must Remember This, by Joyce Carol Oates. He indicated that he was going to stay a few more days though he had only paid for one evening. The maid entered the room on September 17, 2001 and found him hanging from the coat rack with his leather belt. He had left money on the nightstand with a note that said "For the Room". The only personal belongings in his possession was a tooth brush and paste.

He arrived by bus, possibly one that came from Port Angeles (south), but a bus came up from Aberdeen (northbound) and arrived about the same time. Neither driver was sure if he was on their bus. He arrived with no luggage, and there was no luggage, clothing, etc. in the motel dumpster. He may have come from Canada, as the clerk recalled that he had "a slight Canadian accent". The fact he wrote the word "suicide" on a piece of paper found in the trash leads authorities to believe he wrote a letter home, telling someone of his intentions, that he was going to disappear, so they aren't looking for him. He may have been dying, or suffered from depression, as he lost a lot of weight, although nothing was found at the autopsy. There were no indications that he ever wore a wedding ring. Fingerprints were sent to FBI and RCMP with negative results.

Agency Case Number:
    01-7870

NCIC Number:
    U960002335
    Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

We're on our fifth thread already? Unbelievable!*

*I mean that in a nice way.

Quote Originally Posted by outofthedark View Post

and hopefully it will be the last thread! With all the cases that have been solved this year, I have lots of hope

was it ever solved about where he got the money from?

eta: ^^ that was a dumb question. sorry it's late. but I was reading through the old thread and thinking about where he was able to get money to pay. he might have had a job, sold something, or had saved money from somewhere.

Clarksville, Indiana/Louisville, KY Metro area
    It's just so aggravating that it appears they did not check that ATM or interview people at the store.
    ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story..."
    - Desiderata, Max Erhmann, 1927

"Lady O'Leary was F R A M E D!!"
    - Kentuckiana, 2015
    ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~ ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

It only costs $100 to submit DNA to Ancestry to locate possible relatives and determine if he was Native American.
    ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~! ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story..."

- Kentuckiana, 2015

Hey, has this guy been ruled out? The height is off and his hair is lighter, but he bears a striking resemblance to Lyle.
    Kenneth Stephan Haley

- Kentuckiana, 2015

Another thing to consider is that the person who reported Lyle as missing could have gotten the date he was last seen - or a number of other demographic information such as age, height, weight and birth or scar marks - wrong. Maybe we should expand our net to account for possible errors? Not only that, but I have a friend who is not albino, has a black mother and father, but when I learned he was actually black a year after I first met him, I was completely stunned. No one would ever suspect he was even bi-racial. Maybe we need to open our minds a bit in trying to make matches with Lyle?

- Kentuckiana, 2015

Kenneth cant be lyle. Lyles ears were attached, he had very distinctive ear lobes.

I would rather continue with #4; there is a lot of info there that we can't quote.

I am behind. I had no emails from WS yesterday cause they changed the subscription addy to gmail so my filter stopped working
    The hotel does have a web site
    Welcome to the Quinault River Inn

Quote Originally Posted by Kentuckiana View Post
    It only costs $100 to submit DNA to Ancestry to locate possible relatives and determine if he was Native American.
    I have passed the genealogy info to his NamUs case worker. CCM could get it donated free.

Might Lyle's hair actually be a dark brown colour? Or is it just the lighting?

http://i.imgur.com/c6wjs6X.jpg (WARNING: POST MORTEM)

Should a recon be done with brown hair?

And his eyebrows appear to be of average size in the Imgur photos, not thick.

Might Lyle's hair actually be a dark brown colour? Or is it just the lighting?

http://i.imgur.com/c6wjs6X.jpg (WARNING: POST MORTEM)

Should a recon be done with brown hair?

And his eyebrows appear to be of average size in the Imgur photos, not thick.
    Still_Seek_Answers & I have asked Carl if he could do a full body recon. He just got home from Missing in Michigan; we got busy with a fund raiser to send Tammy Alexander's friend Laurel to the graveside memorial in June. They will be putting Tammy's name on Cali's grave stone. I will ask if he can look at the eye brows & hair color. Lyle looks like my Hungarian father; I have pics Carl can use for hair color

What happened to Lyle's other clothes? Were they in a backpack? A car? Did he arrive in the clothes that he would die in?

My question is this: would clothes not start to smell if you wearing them for three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)? CCM said the clothes Lyle was found in were not soiled in anyway. I think he said he was surprised at that, and I am too. There were no food stains or dirt found on the clothes Lyle was wearing.

And then, of course, underwear... Sorry to be crude but you can imagine what would happen if you wore the same underwear for that long (and taking frequent showers wouldn't make a difference). And seeing as he didn't have anything else in the room, was he sleeping in his underwear too? Perhaps he didn't check in until Sunday, but as previously mentioned, he was seen on the porch on Saturday (by hotel guests I'm presuming).

A quick search on old weather data suggests that it was 11-12 Celsius in Amanda Park, Washington, from September 14 through 16. That's not cold by any regard, but is that not coat weather? Lyle only had a T-shirt.

was Illija Dukic completely ruled out?

Lyle looks like some ethnic type of white to me, not native american. But if he was biracial or multiracial, that's why we may be getting so many conflicted opinions.

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast