LA - Officer James Bennett, 45, fatally shot in cruiser, New Orleans, 24 May 2015

popsicle

faith hope love
Reaction score
Responding Officers arrived at the scene in the Central City neighborhood near South Robertson and Freret streets to find the driver’s side window broken. The squad car had hit a curb, lights still flashing and the car was in drive.

He was prounouced dead at the scene from gunshot wounds. The 45-year-old Officer’s name has not been released.

http://breaking911.com/breaking-police-officer-murdered-while-sitting-in-patrol-car/

I think this should be moved to Crimes in the news.

This is exactly what the cops are afraid of.

Responding Officers arrived at the scene in the Central City neighborhood near South Robertson and Freret streets to find the driver’s side window broken. The squad car had hit a curb, lights still flashing and the car was in drive.

He was prounouced dead at the scene from gunshot wounds. The 45-year-old Officer’s name has not been released.

http://breaking911.com/breaking-police-officer-murdered-while-sitting-in-patrol-car/

I think this should be moved to Crimes in the news.
from your link.............

At least 48 on-duty Officers have been killed in 2015.

i assume this is for new orleans and not the housing authority as the article stated that this is the first officer killed in the line of duty for the housing authority........but OH GOOD LORD..........FORTY EIGHT!!!!! :mad:and we are not even half way through the calendar year.........how disgusting is that number????:furious: even one is too many, but 48??????

:rose: Rest In Peace Officer, With Honor
:rose: Strength To Those That Love You

Thank You For Your Service :rose:

ANOTHER LE shot in the line of duty. My heart goes out to his family :(

I have to wonder....this LE was shot and died. If he had a partner at that time of the shooting and his partner shot and killed the person who did this, would there be nationwide protests/riots? Probably.

Now the weather is getting warmer, everyone will be outside later, drunker, higher, angrier, and unable to blame themselves for their life's decisions after age 18, they will take it out on authority figures that everyone from the White House on down has condemned.

HANO officer shot, killed while patrolling Central City construction site, NOPD says
By Michelle Hunter, NOLA.com - The Times-Picayune
on May 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM, updated May 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM

An officer with the Housing Authority of New Orleans was fatally shot in his patrol car while working a security detail at the construction site of the Guste Homes public housing complex, according to New Orleans police officials Sunday (May 24). Authorities have not yet identified the male officer, who had been with the HANO department for about two years, HANO Police Chief Robert Anderson said.

[...]
NOPD also can't say whether the officer had been directly targeted. "We don't know what happened, and we don't want to speculate," Harrison said. The New Orleans coroner's office will perform an autopsy to determined the exact cause and time of death.

Mayor Mitch Landrieu issued the following statement:

"The death of this HANO police officer is an unspeakable tragedy, and a vile and cowardly act. Tragedies that involve our men and women in uniform affect our entire city and touch every member of our law enforcement community. We are deeply saddened by this loss, and our hearts and prayers are with the officer's friends and family and with the entire HANO family during this very difficult time.

"NOPD and HANO will work very closely to identify and arrest those responsible for this heinous assault. NOPD and HANO are part of the same close-knit law enforcement family that puts their lives on the line to protect and serve the people of New Orleans. Never are we more aware of the risk they face every day than we are on terrible days like this."

http://www.wwltv.com/story/news/2015/05/24/hano-officer-dead-inside-cruiser/27879231/

From Bessie's WWLTV link:

The New Orleans Police Department says a 45-year-old Housing Authority of New Orleans officer was found shot to death inside his police cruiser early Sunday morning in Central City.

yet another reason why officers should ALWAYS patrol in pairs........or at least with a k9..........did anyone see the thread here this week where a k9 officer was saved in ms when he was able to push a button on his belt and release the dog from the patrol car when he was attacked? the attackers were dragging him off into the woods to kill him and as a result of the dog attacking them, they fled instead...........

if they will not let them patrol with a human partner, at least let them patrol with a k9 partner, it would lessen the risk........

i know there is still a risk as the two murdered officers in ny not long ago show.............but it DOES lessen the risk......

I thought it was the norm to have two officers patrolling together? If not, it certainly should be.

Crimes against men/women in uniform are appalling, these are the brave guys that sign up to protect us and keep us safe.
The people who commit acts of violence towards them are the lowest in my opinion.
I hope they find those responsible.

My thoughts are with the family :rose:

HANO officer found shot to death Sunday morning in Central City; neighbors say unlit block was a tragedy waiting to happen
New Orleans Advocate
KATY RECKDAHL - May 24, 2015

[...]
Up until 2011, HANO’s force did security but didn’t have arrest powers and weren’t considered police officers. But in June 2011, a new state law, Act 117, authorized HANO to commission “peace officers” to patrol its properties. HANO’s existing officers were given additional training at that time and the force was also expanded from 10 to 26 officers. Many of the newly hired officers came from police and sheriff departments. Sources said that the officer killed on Sunday was a seasoned officer that was hired around that time.

I have to wonder....this LE was shot and died. If he had a partner at that time of the shooting and his partner shot and killed the person who did this, would there be nationwide protests/riots? Probably.

This is a great question. Ordinarily I would say "yes," but I do think it depends on the originating city. We had this exact situation just Wed in Omaha -- a female LEO was shot and killed and her partner subsequently shot and killed the perp. No riots here, but our lower income/inner city neighborhoods have never been particularly "riotous." Still holding my breath for unwelcome visitors from other communities coming in to "instigate," but 5 days out I HOPE we are OK!

Why didn't the city install some lights? The area was a magnet for criminals, according to the linked article. You're building nice new housing units and leave your construction site unlit? Stupidity or corruption?

JMO MOO

from your link.............

At least 48 on-duty Officers have been killed in 2015.

i assume this is for new orleans and not the housing authority as the article stated that this is the first officer killed in the line of duty for the housing authority........but OH GOOD LORD..........FORTY EIGHT!!!!! :mad:and we are not even half way through the calendar year.........how disgusting is that number????:furious: even one is too many, but 48??????

:rose: Rest In Peace Officer, With Honor
:rose: Strength To Those That Love You

Thank You For Your Service :rose:

That number is a national statistic. The site linked below says there are 47 officer deaths nationwide in 2015, and it has yet to be updated to include this HANO officer.
https://www.odmp.org/search/year

48 officers killed in the line of duty in one area in 5 months would be insanely high, although I understand your confusion due to poor reporting.

Have there been large scale protests anywhere regarding the death of somebody who had pulled a gun on police and was subsequently killed? (serious question)

This just happened within the past hour. Had the suspect been killed, we might have found out the answer to question.

"An Orleans Parish sheriff's deputy was struck by a driver during a traffic stop, causing a second officer to fire his weapon, according to New Orleans police. The deputy was not seriously injured in the incident at Canal and Basin streets, before 9:30 a.m., police said."

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/05/orleans_deputy_struck_by_car_p.html#incart_river_mobile

The suspect got away in his car. No word yet on whether he was wounded.

I'm afraid this is heating up to a long, miserable summer

This just happened within the past hour. Had the suspect been killed, we might have found out the answer to question.

"An Orleans Parish sheriff's deputy was struck by a driver during a traffic stop, causing a second officer to fire his weapon, according to New Orleans police. The deputy was not seriously injured in the incident at Canal and Basin streets, before 9:30 a.m., police said."

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/05/orleans_deputy_struck_by_car_p.html#incart_river_mobile

The suspect got away in his car. No word yet on whether he was wounded.

I'm afraid this is heating up to a long, miserable summer

Seriously?????

I cannot believe that people really think that targeting LEO is the answer to some police brutality!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back