DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Who is Washington murder suspect Darron Dellon Dennis Wint ?
By Greg Botelho, CNN
Updated 8:55 PM ET, Fri May 22, 2015

(CNN)He's a once-aspiring Marine with a history of run-ins with the law. A one-time community college student convicted three times in New York, including for second-degree assault. A former American Iron Works worker now charged with murder in the death of the man who led that company -- Savvas Savopoulos -- and his family.
Meet Darron Dellon Dennis Wint.
Daron Wint, Suspect in Woodley Park Quadruple Slaying, in Custody
By NBC Washington and News4
Updated at 1:46 PM EDT on Friday, May 22, 2015

The man suspected of brutally killing a family of three and their housekeeper in a northwest Washington, D.C., mansion last week was arrested late Thursday night in a traffic stop across town, capping a manhunt that had expanded to New York.
Daron Dylon Wint, 34, who had once worked for the company run by one of the victims, is scheduled to make his first court appearance Friday afternoon.

ADMIN NOTE: The victims are not on trial here. Do NOT sleuth their surviving family members, nor post opinions which implicate the victims by their actions/behavior, UNLESS so indicated by LE.

Thanks.

I messaged the moderator before posting this. I have only included information confirmed via the charging documents. Unless we have LE-verified information, we are leaving it off. If you think you have proof of someone's identity, please message the moderator so s/he can decide if it is sufficient to add it to our glossary. Thanks!

Attachments

• Case Players.jpg
    Case Players.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 515
http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/a...ngton-social-diary-the-darkness-and-the-light

The guests at Tudor Place couldn’t shake from their minds what had occurred in Woodley Park.

One friend of Amy’s called her a “wonderful mother.” Another said the couple “met at the University of Maryland.” Savvas was described as a colorful personality who “liked cars and stuff.” A Woodland Drive resident called them “good neighbors.” Another was dismayed, “shook up,” because the neighborhood pays “extra for a private security patrol.” According to those who knew them, Savvas and Amy were “not socialites,” more private and family than that scene, but they were social, involved in school life, community life, generous with their time and home for causes, and their church, St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral;

That's what I saw too. The darker tan/almost chestnut curly hair on the huskier build.

FWIW, Chessies have very different personalities than labs. They are sweet, but can be very protective. My friend's bit the FedEx guy and there were many other near-misses. Maybe the housekeeper was right that they made a fuss if someone came in the house. Maybe they were already in the back yard when this whole thing started and were just left there.

On CNN just now: It was stated that police are still investigating two women who were with DW when he was arrested. They were originally released after being held for about 24 hours. It sounds like they are investigating them as accessories after the fact. They did reiterate that police do not believe DW committed the crime alone.

We seem to have forgotten that the three adult victims were found doused in gasoline and in chairs.
I just had a thought re: What, beyond wanting to stop the torture of PS, could have continued to keep the adults contained or controlled? Then I realized, they were all doused in gasoline and we know that the killer left matches at the top of the stairs. Really, all he had to do was hold up the matches as the ultimate threat, especially if he had lit a few throughout the night and day that followed...

I can see the killer saying, "do it, or I will light this match..." But, it is beyond me why he chose to try to kill all the adults before he set the fire while leaving PS to burn to death....It is All So Incredibly Senseless!

I don't think he doused them with gas until the end. I doubt he was there all those hrs with the over-whelming smell of gas. Not to mention the foolishness of lighting a match to threaten them or when he did finally lit the match the fumes would have been so bad by then he would have been caught in the gas ball I think. jmo

Just the other day a man here went to light his cigarette while gas was pumping into his car.... he burst into flames right off. A man close by ran to put him out with his jacket. He died the next day.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29153121/man-dies-after-lighting-cigarette-at-gas-pump-sparking-fire

DW emigrated from Guyana when he was 20 years old.

From the 2014 Crime Report for that country:

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=16163

Guyana is rated as Critical for crime by the U.S. Embassy. Criminal activity is a major problem, particularly violent crimes and crimes against people and property. Foreigners in general are viewed as targets of opportunity but are not specifically targeted. Violence against women, particularly in a domestic context is a pervasive problem.

Most violent crimes against foreigners have occurred in the capital. However, there have been incidents of violent crimes committed in other parts of the country as well. Serious crime, including murder and armed robbery, are common, especially in the suburban areas and the interior regions. The most recent information from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime lists Guyana’s 2010 homicide rate as 18.4 per 100,000 people -- the fourth highest murder rate in South America behind Venezuela, Colombia, and Brazil. Guyana’s murder rate is three times higher than the United States’.

Armed robberies occur regularly, especially in businesses and shopping districts. Armed robberies of businesses/patrons are becoming increasingly common in Georgetown. Criminals are often organized, travel in groups of two or more, and conduct surveillance on their victims. Periodically, there are reports of robberies/attacks on American citizens and in areas frequented by expatriates. The press reported 108 armed robbery incidents during 2013. It is likely that many more incidents go unreported.

Criminals appear to be able to obtain weapons with ease, despite the arduous licensing requirements for the average person to own firearms. Handguns, knives, machetes, or "cutlasses" tend to be the weapons of choice. Criminals generally will not hesitate to show multiple weapons as an intimidation tactic during a robbery. Criminals may act brazenly, and police officers have been victims and perpetrators of assaults and shootings. Criminals are increasingly willing to resort to violence while committing all types of crimes.

perfect timeing , thread closed as I hit "Post"!
Hi guys!

Maye I am hard core - but money is power. Peroid. These are "staff" folks, they are not going to question the "boss" - who is a man with a lot of money. It just would not occur to them, nor in the "role" relationship be something that would occur.

It makes sense that maid husband would be hesitant to call LE on his wives rich boss. That there would be a pause before doing so.

Bussiness is mean. Thus far the basic portait we have is he is a nice guy. But, in terms of bussiness dealings, govt relationships, we have a father suing a friend over $$, and a business entity which is not in good standing tax wise - dont remember the specfic angle, but it has been posted here several times.

He may have had nice parties, but when it comes to the bussiness side of the man I sense a different porttrait will emerge. Just MO

Just wanted to post my heartfelt sympathy and admiration to DW's father this morning. His statement to the bereaved family shows the kind of exemplary man he is. It is a tragedy for him as well, to have one of his sons accused of this horror ...and another possibly involved as well. I'm sure he brought his family here to give them a better life.

I wonder if DW had already unfortunately made associations in Guyana before he moved here at 20. Most of his Facebook friends are from that community. Looking at the patterns of crime...increasingly violent...machetes...gangs scouting out targets...was DW already part of this type of lifestyle and the affiliations continued?

On Washington Post articles, I have briefly seen complaints that comments about a certain gang keep being deleted. Police may be well aware of DW's associates of that is the case.

Ficker on Fox5- DNA btw you can't see it :lol: it is like the govt's hair evidence it get's thrown out in many cases and I will get it thrown out in this case. :lol: He isn't even the lawyer for DW because the family hasn't yet decided per his own words... well he can't be believed, so... :lol:

Training to become a welder:

[h=6]pring & Summer 2015 Sessions:
(a) May 11 - June 3
(b) July 13 - August 3[/h]
  • Length: 4 weeks
  • Sessions Per Week: 2
  • Total Sessions: 8
  • Days: Mondays & Wednesdays
  • Time: 6:30PM - 9:30PM
[h=5]Chantilly Weekend Program (Saturdays)[/h] [h=6]Spring & Summer 2015 Sessions:
(a) April 11, 18, 25
(b) June 13, 20, 27
(c) August 15, 22, 29[/h]
  • Length: 3 consecutive weeks
  • Sessions Per Week: 1
  • Total Sessions: 3

http://www.americaninstituteofwelding.com/welding-class-schedule.htm

Savvas was the CEO of American Iron Works, Inc., (AIW) as well as CEO of Sigma Investment Strategies, LLC. He was a fifth generation Washingtonian and a descendant, on his mother's side of Louis W. Du Bois, the founder of the Huguenot Settlement of New Paltz, NY, and "Patentee of the twelve.
,Savvas received his Bachelors of Arts Degree from the University of Maryland where he studied Business and Analytic Philosophy, and was a member of the Sigma Phi fraternity. Savvas obtained his law degree from American University. However, he preferred engineering and was known for having innovative ideas. On February 4, 2014 he was granted the patent for "Welder having a wireless receiver for remote control". Patent No. US 8642921 B2.​
- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/wa...SAVOPOULOS&pid=174935916#sthash.JjsEXZPV.dpuf

Savvas was the CEO of American Iron Works, Inc., (AIW) as well as CEO of Sigma Investment Strategies, LLC. He was a fifth generation Washingtonian and a descendant, on his mother's side of Louis W. Du Bois, the founder of the Huguenot Settlement of New Paltz, NY, and "Patentee of the twelve."

Savvas received his Bachelors of Arts Degree from the University of Maryland where he studied Business and Analytic Philosophy, and was a member of the Sigma Phi fraternity. Savvas obtained his law degree from American University. However, he preferred engineering and was known for having innovative ideas. On February 4, 2014 he was granted the patent for "Welder having a wireless receiver for remote control" Patent No. US 8642921 B2.

Savvas was a member of the Young Presidents Association, and was active in the organization. He and his company AIW received a personal commendation from the Secretary of Defense for restoration work at the Pentagon after the 9/11 attack.

Notable for his philanthropy, he was known for his leadership in and contributions to Starlight Children's Foundation, Children's National Medical Center, the National Child Research Center where he served previously as a board member, and St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral.

This center, that recently opened, has about 2,000 square feet of mat space, two libraries, a kitchen, sleeping quarters and other amenities where live-in students can excel in their pursuit of the martial arts.

Most recently, Savvas assumed significant responsibility as a judge on the International Court of Appeals of the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile in Paris, France. The FIA Court of Appeals is the final appeal tribunal for international motorsports. Savvas was unanimously elected to this position by the member nations of the Federation.

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/di...-Savopoulos&lc=2216&pid=174933272&mid=6457056

I messaged the moderator before posting this. I have only included information confirmed via the charging documents. Unless we have LE-verified information, we are leaving it off. If you think you have proof of someone's identity, please message the moderator so s/he can decide if it is sufficient to add it to our glossary. Thanks!

CASE PLAYER GLOSSARY
Case Players.jpg

Ficker on Fox5- DNA btw you can't see it :lol: it is like the govt's hair evidence it get's thrown out in many cases and I will get it thrown out in this case. :lol: He isn't even the lawyer for DW because the family hasn't yet decided per his own words... well he can't be believed, so... :lol:

Well, he WAS correct when he stated that the pizza was left on the front porch, and ended up in a dumpster (although he neglected to say an evidence dumpster :laughcry: ). I'm just waiting for him to spout that the DC lab is shoddy, and the DNA results are questionable (true dat, but the DC lab didn't do the testing, they right now are shut down for such and are outsourcing it). He'll continue spinning from his defense 101 course.

pizzabox.JPG
cnn.com

Here's the map again. It's still missing a few things, if someone wants to add to it.

Locations.JPG

Far left red dot – 13930 Willard Drive, Chantilly VA-Martial Arts studio which has AIW2 next door to it
Second to left dot – 3200 block of Woodland Drive NW (Savopoulous residence)
Two dots together to the right of that – The Howard Johnsons where they began following, to Rhode Island Avenue and 10th Street NE – Arrest on May 21st
Far right dot – 8000 block of Anapolis Road, New Carrolton MD where the burned Porsche was found on May 14th

WhereSpottedAndArrested.JPG
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/05/d-c-mansion-murders-not-random-police-chief-says-suspect-remains-at-large-114135.html#ixzz3arxx5lsw

Amy was raised in a military family with her younger brother Jon,....In her childhood she attended Department of Defense schools in Germany, as well as numerous Army installations across the United States.
For a number of years she was employed by CohnResnick Accounting. This was a far cry from her first paid employment-a job in the 7th grade where she had responsibilities on Saturdays cleaning rabbit cages for her science teacher who breed and raised show rabbits for national competitions.

member of the Sulgrave Club for Women, a club intended for music, art and social gatherings.

Amy had the rare ability of spotting four-leaf-clovers even when she was not looking for them. (No idea?)

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/di...-Savopoulos&lc=2216&pid=174933272&mid=6457056

FWIW, Chessies have very different personalities than labs. They are sweet, but can be very protective. My friend's bit the FedEx guy and there were many other near-misses. Maybe the housekeeper was right that they made a fuss if someone came in the house. Maybe they were already in the back yard when this whole thing started and were just left there.

I left my back gate open once and my lab got out... he came rolling up in the Fed-ex truck as a special delivery. The woman said, "I have something for you!" but I already saw his big black self sitting there all happy! :laughcry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998