1327 users online (269 members and 1058 guests)  

Websleuths News

PA - Patrick W. Ryan, 30, Clarion, 13 Aug 2005

"CLARION - Patrick W. Ryan was about to enter a new phase of his life with a move to New Jersey and a teaching position ahead of him.

But the 30-year-old Clarion resident has not been seen or heard from in more than a week.

The Coudersport native was last seen at the Captain Loomis bar in Clarion the late evening hours of Aug. 13.

His mysterious disappearance prompted members of his family and law enforcement authorities on Monday to issue a public plea for information in the case.

...Their son had planned to travel to his girlfriend's residence in New Jersey on Aug. 15. He had just accepted a position as an instructor at Bucks County Community College and was preparing to move out of his Clarion residence.

But Ryan never made it to New Jersey, and it took his girlfriend nearly two days to contact his parents.

Debbie Ryan said they were visiting their eldest daughter in Wisconsin the weekend Patrick disappeared.

...Officials say the Allegheny Valley Search and Rescue dog team also assisted in a search from the Captain Loomis to Ryan's residence at 141 S. Fourth Ave.

...He said the vehicle Ryan's father had loaned him for the move was still parked at the house.

And, he said, the lights and fan were left on at the residence with the windows open.

"We have to assume foul play is a possibility," Aaron said.

.....The Ryans have established a $10,000 reward fund for information leading to the safe return of their son or information leading to the successful prosecution of any persons involved with his disappearance.

.....Patrick's physical description is described as being about 5 feet, 11 inches tall, and weighing 145 to 150 pounds.

.....Anyone who has any information about the case, even if it appears minor, is asked to contact the Clarion Borough police at (814) 226-9140."

http://www.thederrick.com/stories/08232005-2008.shtml

Additional pictures here:
    http://www2.theclarionnews.com/General_News/44289.shtml

http://www2.theclarionnews.com/General_News/44388.shtml

What is known

According to Patrick Ryan’s parents, Dr. Peter and Mrs. Debbie Ryan, their son conducted a yard sale on Saturday, Aug. 13 at his residence to sell off items he did not plan to take with him to New Jersey on Aug. 15.

Around 9:30 p.m. Aug. 13, Patrick Ryan called his father and mother who were visiting Patrick’s sister in Wisconsin. The family is from Coudersport and Patrick Ryan, his sisters and mother all attended Clarion University.

Debbie Ryan said Patrick talked to his father for about 15 minutes.

"He seemed upbeat and excited about the changes he was making," Debbie Ryan said. "There was no indication there was anything wrong."

Debbie Ryan said her son arrived at the Capt. Loomis between 1 and 1:30 a.m. Aug. 14 and stayed until the bar closed.

Debbie Ryan said she was told her son had a minor disagreement with another man seated at the bar and then moved away from the man. A short time later, a woman invited numerous people at the bar – including Patrick Ryan – to a private party at a home off River Hill in Paint Township.

However, Clarion Borough Police Officer and lead investigator William Peck IV said while that information seems to be correct, there is no indication Patrick Ryan actually went to the party.

More at the link

WHERE IS CAYLEE???

BCCC (www.bucks.edu) is right near me. It's located in Pennsylvania, near/in Newtown. This area is right over the river from NJ.

BTW, the Captain Loomis isn't a "dive" type bar, it is a very nice restaurant/bar. If he arrived at 1 - 1:30 and stayed till the bar closed, that would be probably between 2 and 3 a.m. because "last call" is at 2.

Rather upsetting that it has been a week and this is the first it has appeared in the newspapers. Several that I talked to this morning in Clarion were not even aware of this!

I hope the police can find out who the man was that Patrick had a little tiff with. Maybe the guy hung around outside and waited for Patrick to leave the bar.

How did Patrick get to the bar...walk...drive? His car being at home says he either walked or had a ride to the bar.....or he drove to the bar and drove home. If he drove then LE know that he did get home from the bar. He had a yard sale that same day. I hope someone that attended the yard sale and knew that he was moving didn't think that he would have a wallet full of money and decided to rob him after he arrived at home from the bar. You wouldn't think a robber would remove a body though.

Patrick sounds like a guy who has his head and life together. It sure doesn't sound like he would just disappear. I hope and pray that he is found safe and sound.

I am just sick about this.

http://www.thederrick.com/stories/08242005-3004.shtml

"MARIENVILLE — A body found Tuesday afternoon in Forest County is believed to be that of a Clarion man missing since Aug. 13.

The body was discovered by a passerby along Watson Farm Road in Howe Township, northeast of Marienville, said Forest County Coroner Norman J. Wimer.

The discovery was reported to Warren County Control at 12:31 p.m., said Forest County Sheriff Robert Wolfgang.

Patrick W. Ryan, 30, of 141 S. Fourth Ave., had not been seen or heard from by his family or friends since Aug. 13.

“We do suspect that that’s probably the individual it is,” Wolfgang said Tuesday night. “But until we get through the autopsy process, we won’t be 100 percent sure.”

Wimer also said the body was believed to be that of Patrick Ryan, although the coroner said he could not positively confirm the identification. ..."

More at link above...

This is sad. I saw the article about him the other day.

Because the fan and lights were on in his apartment, and he was clad only in his underwear, it would appear he was probably abducted from his home. That guy he had the disagreement with probably followed him.......ehhh...maybe?

JMHO
    fran

“He was in a vehicle in an area where he apparently stops off every once in a while during a lunch break,” the coroner said. “It’s right off the Watson Farm Road. By most people accounts, it would be a remote area.”

whose car was he in? It said that he was just in his shorts and that his house was not locked, lights on and so on, unless he was just running down to the store I don't see why he wouldn't have on more clothes or shoes.

I feel so sad for the family and for Patrick, may you rest with the angels now. May you all take comfort in our prayers for you.
    "It seems that this is larger than I am. More than I can handle. Yet I know that I am being carried, for I am not strong enough to carry myself. I do not have the answers now but one day I will know and understand and maybe one day I will help to carry another." Joanne Cacciatore~

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBathHotPants
    “He was in a vehicle in an area where he apparently stops off every once in a while during a lunch break,” the coroner said. “It’s right off the Watson Farm Road. By most people accounts, it would be a remote area.”

whose car was he in? It said that he was just in his shorts and that his house was not locked, lights on and so on, unless he was just running down to the store I don't see why he wouldn't have on more clothes or shoes.

I feel so sad for the family and for Patrick, may you rest with the angels now. May you all take comfort in our prayers for you.
    I am wondering the same thing ... was HE in the car or the person who found him?? I am confused.

It was the person who found him that was in a car...a Dept. of Natural Resources guy. DNR employees work pretty much in rural isolated areas. The area is part of the Allegheny National Forest, I think. I will have to ask hubby as he works up in that area two or three days a week most of the time.

Patrick was not in his underwear (as someone mentioned) he was in street shorts.

I am going to our Clarion office tomorrow and will snoop around. He lived about 4 blocks from our office there. He probably walked to the Loomis earlier in the evening because he had his dad's vehicle and it was only a couple of blocks.
    It sounds to me like someone came to his house and robbed him or something.

Police said dental records had to be used to identify the body because it was so badly decomposed.

Autopsy results showed Ryan was dead for at least a week.

The coroner says his death is suspicious and has called for a homicide investigation.
    http://www.wpxi.com/news/4889472/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight