822 users online (158 members and 664 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WI-Dana Markusen,17yo Superior, last seen 08/13/2005

This young lady left her home on Saturday around 7pm to go for a bicycle ride. Her family reported her missing Sunday morning at 11am. Her bicycle was found out in the open at a park.
    www.gazetteextra.com/missingteen081805.asp
    Last edited by ShowerSinger; 08-18-2005 at 06:23 PM. Reason: oops error

I wonder if her bike was found "parked" with the kickstand down, or if it was just thrown down. I wonder if she was riding on a path, where a vehicle would not be allowed, or if she was riding by a road where a car could have pulled aside her and grabbed her.

Quote Originally Posted by lostfaith
    I wonder if her bike was found "parked" with the kickstand down, or if it was just thrown down. I wonder if she was riding on a path, where a vehicle would not be allowed, or if she was riding by a road where a car could have pulled aside her and grabbed her.
    Good point, I wanna know too. This sounds strange to me, it just doesn't sound as if she ran away if her bike was just there in the open, who leaves their bike in the middle of nowhere? I was always worried my bike would be stolen and would always keep it up against something or very near the store or wherever I was. I'm hoping she left on her own of course though! I live in WI and I never hear these things on the news or in the paper. I know Superior is so far from Madison but I'd still like to hear about it here. Thanks for posting this!

Dana's pic

Here's an article including her picture..

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...l/12412806.htm

And one regarding the search and more info...

Posted on Thu, Aug. 18, 2005

Search for missing Superior girl resumes

Associated Press
    SUPERIOR, Wis. - Law enforcement officials using sonar and underwater cameras searched the waters of Lake Superior alongside a pier Thursday for a 17-year-old girl missing since she went for a bicycle ride last weekend.
    Dana Markusen was last seen between 5:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday riding her bicycle by herself at the shore end of Wisconsin Point, a Lake Superior peninsula of beaches on one side and a shipping channel on the other, police said.
    Her family reported her missing about 11 a.m. Sunday. Someone found her bicycle that day at the end of Wisconsin Point on a pier. It had been left in the open as though she parked it and walked away.

The cement pier drops off sharply on one side into 35 feet of water, he said.

"We have not had any witnesses say they saw her at the end of the point," police Sgt. Chad La Lor said.

From where she was last seen to the end of the point is about three miles, he said.

Searching on land and in the water had turned up no new evidence of Markusen's whereabouts, and there also was no indication that foul play was involved, he said. "Generally, our runaways return within a day or two."

Markusen is white, about 5-foot-7 and 140 pounds, with brown hair and green eyes, police said. She was last seen wearing a black sleeveless top, black jeans, black shoes and tan velvet sash.

"All we know is she was going for a bike ride," La Lor said. "We don't have any indication that she took a swimsuit out there."

Police Sgt. Matt Markon said the water search concentrated on the shipping canal and around the lighthouse.

Dawn Hastings, whose son is a friend with Markusen, called her "super nice, very sweet, very bubbly, charismatic. I would not see her going off on her own."
    http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/12409558.htm

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    In ShowSinger's link it says the bike was parked as if she just walked away from it.

Our local paper today said that a black shoe was found on the lake shore. No info on whether it was identified positively as her shoe...just that she was wearing black shoes.

She was dressed all in black.... I just wonder could she have decided to commit suicide?

The word in the Twin Cities is that the bike was not thrown but was leaning as if it had purposely been left there (in the open).

There is a possibility that she voluntarily went into the water. At least, that's where the search is concentrated. But, would she go swimming wearing jeans? And, it hasn't been THAT warm around here at 7:00 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe So
    Our local paper today said that a black shoe was found on the lake shore. No info on whether it was identified positively as her shoe...just that she was wearing black shoes.

She was dressed all in black.... I just wonder could she have decided to commit suicide?
    I read something about the shoe, and I know it said the shoe did not belong to her...sorry I'll try to find the link

Quote Originally Posted by Maybe So

Heres a clipping and the link to the rest of the article:

About 5:30 p.m., 14 officers scoured the pier where Markusen's bike was found. Shortly before 6 p.m., searchers found a black shoe along the beach on the point's lake side, between the pier and the lighthouse. Investigators later determined that black shoe did not belong to the girl, he said.

I wish it would give more about her background, like has she been depressed lately, boyfriend troubles.... etc. The way I am reading the articles and the way her bike was found, makes me believe no one else was invovled in her disappearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa714
    Heres a clipping and the link to the rest of the article:

About 5:30 p.m., 14 officers scoured the pier where Markusen's bike was found. Shortly before 6 p.m., searchers found a black shoe along the beach on the point's lake side, between the pier and the lighthouse. Investigators later determined that black shoe did not belong to the girl, he said.

Thanks. Well, it is good that the shoe is not hers as it wouldn't bode well for her if it was hers.

While lots of people do swim in Lake Superior it is known for it's very cold waters.....I was in Duluth MN that Saturday at Canal Park and only a few people were swimming as it wasn't a terribly hot day...but lots of people were boating in the area.

Superior, WI and Duluth, MN are just across a bay from each other... both on Lake Superior. They are connected by a couple bridges both have parks and beaches on the lake, both have large marinas so I would imagine a few people were swimming in Lake Superior on the WI side just as they were on the MN side and that there were also people boating (along the lake you can see everything from tankers to cabin cruisers, to sailboats, to small open fishing boats to kayakers to jet skiers).

Could she have gotten into a boat with someone? or met someone in a boat?

They should use dogs to track her scent and see if it ends at the water.

There are tons of tourists and out of towners passing through the area....it is also a major shipping port where ships from all over the world come in.

It's also an unfortunate possibility that she was abducted and the abductor later left her bike there on the pier to look as if she may have gone into the water. Prayers for this young girl.

Search for missing teen continues

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...l/12422940.htm

SUPERIOR: Police take to land and water at Wisconsin Point to find a teenage girl last seen Saturday evening.

BY SHELLEY NELSON

NEWS TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Erika Engelson didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about her longtime friend Dana Markusen when the two went swimming in rural DouglasCounty a week ago Thursday.

The two 17-year-olds from Superior went swimming and hiked in the woods.

"We were just hanging out like normal," Engelson said.

Nothing happened that day that would explain Markusen's recent disappearance, Engelson said.

But Sunday, Markusen was reported missing after she didn't return home Saturday night.

Police continued to search Thursday for Markusen, who was last seen around 7 p.m. Saturday leaving her East End home on a bike.

more at link..........................................

I can't understand why the parents didn't report her missing until Sunday at 11:00 a.m. She left on her bike at 7 p.m. Saturday night????? If someone abducted her that gave them hours to get away. Maybe her parents were gone over night or something. I wonder if she was in the habit of staying out or away all night with friends or something. I just found that odd.

I hope she shows up alive unharmed.

I was just in Duluth last Thursday too... and it was very chilly outside, and the water was very cold too.... didn't see anyone swimming that day, however there were lots of boaters. As someone else said though, people do swim out there even in the cold water... but doesn't sound likely that she would have gone swimming alone. Lake Superior is so beautiful - but I always have an eerie feeling around it whenever I'm there - IMO, there is an air of death always around - and the water is so deep, cold and dark.

I'm wondering if maybe she met someone online, and parked her bike there to meet up with him and leave in his vehicle - and that person abducted her. I suppose it could be a suicide as well... the previous article said she was wearing all black correct? Maybe she was depressed, and is around that age where many girls are depressed.... (I'm not saying just because you dress in all black means you're suicidal or depressed... I wear a lot of black clothing myself... just saying I see a lot of teenagers wearing all black who seem to be in the outsider crowd) Hard to explain what I mean... but hopefully that came across clearly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast