1279 users online (238 members and 1041 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Ground search for missing teen called off

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/du...l/12432444.htm

DISAPPEARANCE: Although police are still looking for information on Dana Markusen, 17, from Superior, the two-day search around Wisconsin Point will not continue on the ground.

BY SHELLEY NELSON

NEWS TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

An investigation continues into the disappearance of a 17-year-old Superior girl, though a ground search on Wisconsin Point has been called off.

The Superior Police Department is still looking for information on the disappearance of Dana Markusen.

Markusen was last seen around 7 p.m. last Saturday. She's described as white, 5 foot 4 and 120 pounds, with brown hair and green eyes. Earlier descriptions stated she was taller and heavier.

She was wearing jeans, laced-up tennis shoes and a sleeveless top, all in black, with a tan velvet sash when she left home.

Apparently Dana Markusen will soon be a 'cold case,' given a number, and pictured and listed as 'endangered runaway' on the NCMEC site.

Sad

fran

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSays
    I was just in Duluth last Thursday too... and it was very chilly outside, and the water was very cold too.... didn't see anyone swimming that day, however there were lots of boaters. As someone else said though, people do swim out there even in the cold water... but doesn't sound likely that she would have gone swimming alone. Lake Superior is so beautiful - but I always have an eerie feeling around it whenever I'm there - IMO, there is an air of death always around - and the water is so deep, cold and dark.

I'm wondering if maybe she met someone online, and parked her bike there to meet up with him and leave in his vehicle - and that person abducted her. I suppose it could be a suicide as well... the previous article said she was wearing all black correct? Maybe she was depressed, and is around that age where many girls are depressed.... (I'm not saying just because you dress in all black means you're suicidal or depressed... I wear a lot of black clothing myself... just saying I see a lot of teenagers wearing all black who seem to be in the outsider crowd) Hard to explain what I mean... but hopefully that came across clearly.
    Ah yes Superior. Never look at her without thinking of that Gordon Lightfoot line "Superior it's said never gives up her dead". It is a large, deep and treacherous lake that has claimed many lives and hold many lost ships in her depths.

As for your thought about her meeting someone online...I had the exact same thought.

As for what you mean about wearing black I completely understand what you are saying....not everyone who is in all black is depressed.....but a depress and suicidal teen might dress in all black as a sign of death or sadness.

I am just amazed at how little attention and time is being put into finding this girl. How is she any different or less valuable than say Laci Peterson, Natalee Holloway or any other high profile missing person? No search dogs, no airplanes, no national guard, no side scan sonar? how come I wonder?

http://www.angelsmissing.com/forum/D...ING-t2531.html

They say she has been found deceased...no further info

Body believed to be that of missing teen

So ok I found the article..

http://startribune.com/stories/176/5573389.html

Body believed to be missing teen found in Lake Superior; suicide suspected

Larry Oakes, Star Tribune August 22, 2005 BODY0823

Divers today found a body in Lake Superior that police believe is Dana Markusen, 17, who had been missing since Aug. 14.

Capt. Charles LaGesse, of Superior, Wis., police, said the body's size, weight and clothing matched that of Markusen. It was found at the bottom of a ship canal at about 1 p.m. today.

"We suspect she entered the water on her own in a manner consistent with suicide," said LaGesse. But, he said, her death won't be officially be considered a suicide until after an autopsy determines that there are no injuries or evidence of another cause.

More at link

What a tragic end of such a young life... and in the depths of that dark lake.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonSays
    I was just in Duluth last Thursday too... and it was very chilly outside, and the water was very cold too.... didn't see anyone swimming that day, however there were lots of boaters. As someone else said though, people do swim out there even in the cold water... but doesn't sound likely that she would have gone swimming alone. Lake Superior is so beautiful - but I always have an eerie feeling around it whenever I'm there - IMO, there is an air of death always around - and the water is so deep, cold and dark.

I'm wondering if maybe she met someone online, and parked her bike there to meet up with him and leave in his vehicle - and that person abducted her. I suppose it could be a suicide as well... the previous article said she was wearing all black correct? Maybe she was depressed, and is around that age where many girls are depressed.... (I'm not saying just because you dress in all black means you're suicidal or depressed... I wear a lot of black clothing myself... just saying I see a lot of teenagers wearing all black who seem to be in the outsider crowd) Hard to explain what I mean... but hopefully that came across clearly.
    I agree with your description of Lake Superior......
    Its "always cold" in the Duluth / Superior area.....very
    eerie & death in the air!

I pray for her family.........

Quote Originally Posted by mindi77
    So ok I found the article..

http://startribune.com/stories/176/5573389.html

Body believed to be missing teen found in Lake Superior; suicide suspected

Larry Oakes, Star Tribune August 22, 2005 BODY0823

Divers today found a body in Lake Superior that police believe is Dana Markusen, 17, who had been missing since Aug. 14.

Capt. Charles LaGesse, of Superior, Wis., police, said the body's size, weight and clothing matched that of Markusen. It was found at the bottom of a ship canal at about 1 p.m. today.

"We suspect she entered the water on her own in a manner consistent with suicide," said LaGesse. But, he said, her death won't be officially be considered a suicide until after an autopsy determines that there are no injuries or evidence of another cause.

More at link
    This is so sad. I feel bad that she felt she has no other alternatives. It must've have been a decision she made because she thought nothing was better for her at the time. If only she could've taken a nap and maybe woke up, maybe she would've felt differently. I don't know
    It's sad.

Sometimes I get depressed and I think, wow, it sucks to go on... but in a few hours I feel better, either on my own or cheered up by something or someone. It's sad to think she had nothing at the time to make her feel better.

I feel so sad for her and her family
    I pray for her soul.

WI - Dana Markusen, 17, Superior, 2005

Dana Markusen, missing when her bike was found off Wisconsin Pt., Superior, WI has been located. It sounds as if she drown, entered the water on her own.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S10046.html?cat=1

Thanks Trino for the update. I was hoping she was alive some where.

SO sad....sounds like suicide, with the black clothing and everything.

oh no, I was hoping for better news :- ( thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa714
    oh no, I was hoping for better news :- ( thanks for the update.

Me too. Wonder if she had been depressed or if something was going on in her life OR if she went swimming and drown. Sometimes it is so depressing to come in here and read. My thoughts are with her family. Another family enters their own private nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    Me too. Wonder if she had been depressed or if something was going on in her life OR if she went swimming and drown. Sometimes it is so depressing to come in here and read. My thoughts are with her family. Another family enters their own private nightmare.
    I was also wondering if this was intentional or an accidental drowning. That poor family, I have cousins up in Superior also, I wonder if they knew her? I thought her friends had said she was a happy, upbeat person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2