1181 users online (213 members and 968 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    I recently watched a lot of the trial over, and in particular closing arguments .. it struck me that the State failed to prove a large part of their case, and the way Baez showed the jury that, and the way Mason took the jury through reasonable doubt led the jury to their inevitable verdict. It didn't seem inevitable to us at the time because we were so immersed in the case and had heard nothing but pro prosecution arguments for so long .. I agree with Tricia, I actually think Casey most likely killed Caylee, but most likely isn't good enough for a conviction, and nor should it be.

I think if the jury had seen the 'foolproof suffication' search the outcome may have been different, it's a concern to me that OCSO missed that when they went through the computer searches, yet Baez's computer expert picked it up .. don't we want the State to be better detectives with all the resources available to them than the defense?

On chloroform .. prosecutors alleged that Casey used chloroform to render Caylee unconscious before placing duct tape over her nose and mouth to suffocate her. Yet, they never showed how Casey obtained it. Did she make it? If so where and how? Did she buy it? If so who from?

Another thing that has always bothered me, the state was firm in that the duct tape was placed over the nose and mouth holding the mandible in place, yet we were never shown any in-situ photographs which would have given us a chance to judge for ourselves, so personally I have no idea whether I agree with their assessment or not.

I believe the jury did the right thing based on what was before them, and what was not. I think the media hype surrounding the case not only had an impact on jury selection, but also impacted public expectation of a guilty verdict.
    You don't get a medal for switching alliances just before the result, as it becomes apparent the other team is set to win.

I've seen "no body" cases where the prosecution had zero evidence of how the victim died but still obtained a conviction.

There was more than enough circumstantial evidence to convict Casey. Did the prosecution make some mistakes? Yes, they did. But it wasn't from having a lack of evidence showing that Casey was guilty.

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Do you hear that sound? The sound of a massive can of worms being opened up about this case? LOL

I took so much flack when I told people I thought the jury would find Casey not guilty. Based on the information the jury was given, based on the fact that Casey's father George, lied on the stand ( about the affair) and based on the fact there was no way to tell how Caylee actually died, the jury had no other choice, in my opinion, but to find Casey not guilty.

If the prosecution can't prove the method in which the death took place how can a jury find someone guilty of murder? No one could say how Caylee died. Was it an accident, was it murder, natural causes, no way to tell.

Let me make one thing very clear here: In My Opinion there is NO DOUBT that Casey killed Caylee. It just can't be proven in a court of law.

I think I just opened up a whole worm factory filled with cans.
    I hated like the dickens to click like on your post Tricia. But I did, because you are right. It still hurts though!
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by lonetraveler View Post
    Glad you underlined the smart jury part of your post, LOL. I was totally shocked with the "not guilty" verdict. There was more than enough evidence IMO to find a guilty verdict. Sadly, the baby girl's grandparents decided to lie like hell and save that miserable waste of skin, their daughter.
    Yes, even Judge Perry said they had enough to convict.
    Media thread for Abby and Libby.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...5#post13163455

WebSleuths Lingo thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...bsleuths-Lingo

Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

We are the watchers. We are witnesses. We see what has gone before. We see what happens now, at this dangerous moment in human history. We see what's going to happen - what will surely happen - unless we come together: we - the Peoples of all Nations - to restore peace and harmony and balance to the Earth, our Mother.

THE IGNORE BUTTON IS YOUR FRIEND!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Do you hear that sound? The sound of a massive can of worms being opened up about this case? LOL

I took so much flack when I told people I thought the jury would find Casey not guilty. Based on the information the jury was given, based on the fact that Casey's father George, lied on the stand ( about the affair) and based on the fact there was no way to tell how Caylee actually died, the jury had no other choice, in my opinion, but to find Casey not guilty.

If the prosecution can't prove the method in which the death took place how can a jury find someone guilty of murder? No one could say how Caylee died. Was it an accident, was it murder, natural causes, no way to tell.

Let me make one thing very clear here: In My Opinion there is NO DOUBT that Casey killed Caylee. It just can't be proven in a court of law.

I think I just opened up a whole worm factory filled with cans.
    You know it's funny, I have a good friend Brian who followed the case with me all the way through. We watched Nancy every night via YouTube thanks to PattyG (we don't get HLN here) and swapped articles and links from the day the case broke. Brian was telling me all the way through the trial that the jury would find Not Guilty, I thought he was crazy and decided that the fact he didn't go the extra step and join this forum is why he had no idea what he was talking about, and I was quite patronising towards him about the upcoming verdict. When he texted me in the middle of the night that she had been acquitted I thought he was lying to me and it wasn't until I stumbled across to the main house and switched on Fox that I believed him. I really didn't see it coming, it took me a long time to want to revisit the trial, but now that I have I'm glad I did .. cudos to everyone who saw it coming ahead of time.
    You don't get a medal for switching alliances just before the result, as it becomes apparent the other team is set to win.

I see some post's saying that some predicted the not guilty verdict or understand why the jury voted not guilty.

Do any of these people feel that the verdict was correct? That the jury was justified in voting not guilty. Or do they just feel they understand why the jury did what they did?

Personally, I don't understand why the jury voted the way they did. They were wrong in my opinion. No reasonable doubt that I can see. Only some doubt. That's not enough to acquit.

JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RANCH View Post
    I see some post's saying that some predicted the not guilty verdict or understand why the jury voted not guilty.

Do any of these people feel that the verdict was correct? That the jury was justified in voting not guilty. Or do they just feel they understand why the jury did what they did?

Personally, I don't understand why the jury voted the way they did. They were wrong in my opinion. No reasonable doubt that I can see. Only some doubt. That's not enough to acquit.

JMO.
    In Scotland they have the option 'Not Proven' for a jury to acquit, that would be the right verdict IMO, the state failed to prove their case IMO.

The jury was correct in finding that the state had not met the burden of proof; therefore, they found the defendant not guilty based on the prosecution's failure to establish guilt through the process of evidentiary law.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    In Scotland they have the option 'Not Proven' for a jury to acquit, that would be the right verdict IMO, the state failed to prove their case IMO.
    That would work if this case was tried in Scotland but I do get your point. I'm just not sure why this jury felt that the State didn't prove it's case.

The State didn't have to show how Caylee died to get a conviction. But Baez made the jury (and others) feel that they did.

JMO.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth. Buddha
    Quote Originally Posted by RANCH View Post

JMO.
    Let's put it this way. I have no doubt Casey is guilty of at least 2nd degree murder. I understand why the jury came out with the verdict of not guilty for reasons already posted.

I was hoping for a guilty but saw the not guilty coming.
    Websleuths is TEMPORARILY accepting donations.

CLICK HERE
    to visit our GoFundMe page

OR

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    She should have been found guilty of SOMETHING. Even if we took Jose's word for it, she still ignored the death of her baby and dumped it in the dirt and went dancing. Manslaughter, or SOMETHING. She should not have walked away scot-free. JMO
    I agree.

The Jury could have found her guilty of other charges..Such as

Jury Instructions in the Casey Anthony Trial
    http://insession.blogs.cnn.com/2011/...anthony-trial/

AGGRAVATED MANSLAUGHTER OF A CHILD

782.07, Fla. Stat.

To prove the crime of Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child, the State must prove the following two elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

1. Caylee Marie Anthony is dead.

2. Casey Marie Anthony’s act(s) caused the death of Caylee Marie Anthony.

OR

The death of Caylee Marie Anthony was caused by the culpable negligence of Casey Marie Anthony.

MANSLAUGHTER

782.07, Fla. Stat.

To prove the crime of Manslaughter, the State must prove the following two elements beyond a reasonable doubt:

1. Caylee Marie Anthony is dead.

2. (a) Casey Marie Anthony’s act(s) caused the death of Caylee Marie Anthony.

OR

(b) The death of Caylee Marie Anthony was caused by the culpable negligence of Casey Marie Anthony.
    ----------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"

Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I viewed the whole trial free from the taint of Nancy Grace-like "justice" sites hyping the case day after day after day, and thus watched the proceedings entirely dependent on the legal process and the courtroom issues pursued by the People and the defense via questions and answers in sworn testimony. Based on its presentation to judge and jury the prosecution did not deserve to win that case. The State of Florida has itself to blame.
    I have often wondered how different the case may have been if SA Lamar did not seek Murder 1 with the Death Penalty

"There are three kinds of intelligence: one kind understands things for itself, the other appreciates what others can understand, the third understands neither for itself nor through others. This first is excellent, the second good, and the third useless.

--Niccolo Machiavelli"

Quote Originally Posted by Intermezzo View Post
    I have often wondered how different the case may have been if SA Lamar did not seek Murder 1 with the Death Penalty
    I have too, do you think they were hoping she'd cave in and give them some kind of confession or plead out? I wonder if the DP was there as some kind of leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    I have too, do you think they were hoping she'd cave in and give them some kind of confession or plead out? I wonder if the DP was there as some kind of leverage.
    Yes, I part of me does think SA Lamar thought she would do either...I wonder if he listened to and watched Universal tapes and the Jail house videos

She could have been charged with lesser offences but Lamar decided with Capital Murder..putting the DP on the table changed how this case and trial was going to be played out.

By charging her with capital murder on October 14 2008 put forth the possibility of the Death penalty
    On Dec 5 2008 Lamar said the State would not seek the DP
    Dec 11 2008 Caylee's body is found
    April 14 2009 State reverses it's decision and declares it will seek the DP

--Niccolo Machiavelli"

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast