NY NY - Lisa Thomas, 15, Nanuet, 7 October 1974

Some interesting info in this long, older (2011) article:

New investigation of student Lisa Thomas' 1974 Nanuet slaying focuses on DNA

Thirty-seven years ago Friday, Lisa Thomas' father found his daughter's body — blindfolded and lying face up, her head bludgeoned — in a wooded area behind the Nanuet Mall and about 700 feet from her home....

...Police still hold many of the original theories.

Those include that she was killed by people she knew from school or the neighborhood over a dispute.

Her family's house had been burglarized by three young men and her father's guns stolen three months before her death. They were arrested, and the case was resolved....

...The mall's rear parking lot and her house were separated by a field and woods.

When she didn't return for dinner, her parents called her friends and eventually the police just before 11 p.m. Police patrolling the area didn't search that night.

The next morning, police began searching the area, known as a hangout with drug use, some crime and other teenage activities.

Her father came upon her body about 11 a.m. in the high grass in the woods near the ballfield, about 75 yards from the mall parking lot and 700 feet from her house. ...

...Medical Examiner Dr. Frederick Zugibe found Thomas died from blows to the top of the head, the bridge of her nose and behind her left ear. She was blindfolded with a red cloth she carried on her pocketbook. She was not sexually assaulted.

Zugibe didn't find any evidence that her body was dragged but theorized she was hit while standing up. Her red socks were covered with dirt while her white shoes were found near her body. ...

more at: http://archive.lohud.com/article/20...t-Lisa-Thomas-1974-Nanuet-slaying-focuses-DNA

Thank you for merging these ... I hadn't realized there was existing cold case in the forum.

Kathy in Texas

45 years ago today.

This wasn't some bogeyman. This was a person(s) she knew.

I wouldn't discount the idea of a female(s) culprit in this case.

Unsolved: 40 years since teen slain

On October 7, 1974, Lisa Thomas came home from school, spent time with her mother and then walked to the Nanuet Mall at 3:30 p.m., intending to buy a blouse with her baby-sitting money. When the 15-year-old didn't come home for dinner, her parents called her friends before eventually contacting police. The next morning her father discovered Lisa's body in the woods behind the mall, about 700 feet from their Nanuet home. Her head was bludgeoned and the teenager had been blindfolded with a red cloth that she carried on her pocketbook. Thomas was not sexually assaulted. Clarkstown police say there's never been a definitive answer to where exactly she was killed.

Horrible. Seems her dad most likely found her while searching. Blindfolded? MOO

I see back in October of 2019 Gray Hughes Investigates covered Lisa's unsolved murder. The link below is (suppose to be) cued up (tho that doesn't seem to be working for me lol) but it's starts around the 38 minute mark

Last edited:
How sad she never got answers about her daughter's murder. This is one case that sticks with me. I so wish they could solve it, but it doesn't seem very likely.
It is terribly Sad the parents had to live through such Horror,but I do believe they were reunited and she got all the answers.

Just bumping up, hoping to keep her murder current in peoples minds.

This is still unsolved, her grieving mother has passed with no resolution, recently a guy tried to insert himself into the case when he wasn't involved. Yet there are so many locals who know so much and say nothing to help in closing this case, prosecuting those involved or seeking justice.

But this is a small town, I lived within 100 feet of where she was found murdered. Killed in an area that was a hangout for neighborhood kids, so rumors have swirled for years. But are they rumors, I believe some from that town know and have always known and protected her killers.

Its long past time for anyone with any knowledge to start talking, there will never be closure for this family but some modicum of justice would go a long way towards easing just some of the pain they carry. Because in some ways this "bucolic" village of Nanuet that should have offered safety and community has betrayed that by holding secrets, telling lies, protecting liars and for these actions of this town a case goes cold for decades. Nothing bucolic or peaceful about that at all.

Bottom line, Lisa Thomas and her family deserve to know the truth and those involved in her killing deserve punishment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back