AZ AZ - Morgan Heimer, 22, Grand Canyon National Park, 2 June 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Morgan Heimer

Search on for a missing tour guide Morgan Heimer at the Grand Canyon
GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, AZ - Authorities at Grand Canyon National Park are searching for a Wyoming man who's reported missing after a hike.

Park officials say 22-year-old Morgan Heimer was working as a tour guide on a commercial trip on the Colorado River.

He was reported missing about 8 p.m. Tuesday near Pumpkin Springs by a member of the river trip that was on its sixth day of an eight-day trip.
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-no...-tour-guide-morgan-heimer-at-the-grand-canyon

Search mission continues for Cody man in Grand Canyon
Posted: Saturday, June 6, 2015 1:55 pm | Updated: 3:07 pm, Mon Jun 8, 2015.
http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/local/article_f78c13f4-0c85-11e5-a738-bba3f70c4364.html
While the main focus of the search area is within a 5-mile stretch of Pumpkin Springs, the extended search area stretches to Diamond Creek, 12 miles west of Pumpkin Springs, Park spokeswoman Emily Davis said. These popular spots are on the west side of the national park, closer to Lake Meade at the Arizona-Nevada border.

"Most of the take-out places are at Diamond Creek" for boat trips on the Colorado River in the Park, she said. "The river crew starts at Diamond Creek and motors up and down the river and then returns to Diamond Creek in the evening to camp." The search is on both shore and river, she added.

more at link.

I wonder when the last time anyone from the group saw him in the boat/raft or on shore?Are they saying he went overboard or left on foot for a hike?

Ok,I see the above link says they were on a hike but why was he wearing a flotation device while hiking?And if it was on a hike why are they searching river and shoreline and not hiking trail? Am I the confused one or is it the reporting?

Definitely strange...... the limited info makes you :gaah: :thinking: :waitasec:

And being a guide: wouldn't someone notice if he just walked away? He had to have some outdoorsy type training to be a river tour guide so I can't imagine how he simply "got lost" while being part of a group.

Where's the interviews with other tour members? Was he taking a potty break & never came back? Scouting for a place to eat lunch? When was the last time anyone noticed he was there? So many unanswered questions.

If he fell in the water, the Astral flotation device he was reported to be wearing would have kept him above water, at least enough to call for help if nothing else (LINK TO ONE TYPE OF ASTRAL FLOTATION DEVICE)

I dunno, something seems weird about this whole thing. A 22yo goes mysteriously missing during a GROUP expedition but the info released about the disappearance is pretty much nil :frown:

Definitely strange...... the limited info makes you :gaah: :thinking: :waitasec:

And being a guide: wouldn't someone notice if he just walked away? He had to have some outdoorsy type training to be a river tour guide so I can't imagine how he simply "got lost" while being part of a group.

Where's the interviews with other tour members? Was he taking a potty break & never came back? Scouting for a place to eat lunch? When was the last time anyone noticed he was there? So many unanswered questions.

If he fell in the water, the Astral flotation device he was reported to be wearing would have kept him above water, at least enough to call for help if nothing else (LINK TO ONE TYPE OF ASTRAL FLOTATION DEVICE)

I dunno, something seems weird about this whole thing. A 22yo goes mysteriously missing during a GROUP expedition but the info released about the disappearance is pretty much nil :frown:

OK, we don't know what happened. Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? It's one of the few spots I can think of where you can take three or four steps and end up miles from where you started from. If you're by the river, a misstep or two in the dark. You tumble down an embankment hit your head and end up in the river. No one is going to hear anything. As for hearing as what happened, we're about as high up as you can get on the totem pole as you can get. Most people use the expression "low man on the totem pole" but the lowest one is really the most important.

He lost his footing and either fell into something or off of something. That's rugged terrain and an easy place to get hurt.

OK, we don't know what happened. Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? It's one of the few spots I can think of where you can take three or four steps and end up miles from where you started from. If you're by the river, a misstep or two in the dark. You tumble down an embankment hit your head and end up in the river. No one is going to hear anything. As for hearing as what happened, we're about as high up as you can get on the totem pole as you can get. Most people use the expression "low man on the totem pole" but the lowest one is really the most important.

I live in AZ, a very short drive from the GC, we have been there dozens of times top/bottom/North/South rims so I am familiar with the difficult terrain.

But he was a tour guide, trained to know what not to do so wandering off or drowning or slipping seems very unlikely IMO. He was a very accomplished outdoors-man (fb is full of his trekking info).

I think he either met with foul play or took an extended secret vacation. Local chatter seems to think the latter but I'm still on the fence.

Search for Heimer still on but scaled back
June 10, 2015
http://www.codyenterprise.com/news/local/article_de5c0e30-0fc7-11e5-b891-1b0bdc5b4e23.html

The search for the missing Cody river guide in Grand Canyon National Park has been scaled back, a spokeswoman said Wednesday. With no additional clues to guide search efforts on the Colorado River or land, the search for Morgan Heimer, 22, will be limited but continuing, said Emily Davis from the Park’s public affairs office.

“When rangers are in the area, they’ll be looking,” she said. “All the river trips will also be notified.”

Despite an eight-day search for Morgan Heimer, 22, no additional clues have surfaced.

Morgan has been added to NamUs.
Case Report - NamUs MP # 29029
Case Information
Status Missing
First name MORGAN
Middle name ELIAS
Last name HEIMER
Nickname/Alias
Date last seen June 02, 2015 16:00
Date entered 06/10/2015
Age last seen 22 to years old
Age now 22 years old
Race White
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Height (inches) 72.0
Weight (pounds) 175.0 to 180.0
Dental Status: Dental information / charting is currently not available
DNA Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete
Fingerprint Information Status: Fingerprint information is currently not available

https://findthemissing.org/en/cases/29029

Such a weird case. He sounds like he would be ok enough to survive. Hoping he just took off.

Such a weird case. He sounds like he would be ok enough to survive. Hoping he just took off.

I hope he did also, but it's not a place that you'd survive without the right supplies. Depending on where he was it's a four or five day hike out, other places without climbing equipment very unlikely to make it out at all. You might find food but without water you'll not make more than two or three days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back