1236 users online (188 members and 1048 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Terence Martin, 40, shot to death, Richmond, 23 Aug 2005

A public schools employee died Tuesday when police say a teenage boy shot him for stopping a street-corner fight involving the suspect and his pregnant girlfriend.

"It's a total tragedy," said police Lt. Alec Griffin, supervisor of the Richmond Police Department's investigations division. "You really hate to see anyone get killed, but when you see a guy like this get (shot), a guy who's just trying to do the right thing, it really gets you."

Police identified the victim as Terence Martin, a 40-year-old Richmond resident. He worked in the West Contra Costa school district's furniture warehouse, a district official said.

The suspect, a 16-year-old Richmond resident, was arrested on suspicion of murder and booked into City Jail. Police did not identify him because he is a minor.

Martin drove a Ford 550 truck with a moving van bed marked with the district logo. He was heading east on Bissell Avenue near 35th Street, where Bissell ends at the Lovonya DeJean Middle School campus, about 2:45 p.m. when he saw a fight at that corner.

"The victim saw a (physical) fight between the suspect and a girl who was pregnant," Griffin said. "So he stopped the truck and got out to assist her."
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/...s/12464055.htm
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

See, when we hear of these kind of stories it makes it hard for average people to come forward. Not me, I would be doing the same thing and have many times before. But the point is the stay away people.....the ones with real knowledge about crimes and the ones that stay silent. I love hero stories, I am afraid there are just not enough of them.

That is why Amber Deane (Grohne case) is a real hero to me.

Terence Lionel Martin died as he lived -- helping people in need, his sister said.

Richmond police said Martin, a furniture mover for the West Contra Costa Unified School District, was killed Tuesday when he witnessed a pregnant teenager being beaten by her boyfriend and tried to intervene.

Martin, 40, had just finished moving some furniture at the Lavonya DeJean Middle School and was driving a school district truck about 2:45 p.m. when he spotted the 17-year-old boy beating his teenage girlfriend on 35th Street near Bissell Avenue.

Martin pulled over, told the young man to stop and offered a hand to the woman. Police said the young man pulled out a gun and shot Martin in the back. He was airlifted to John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek and later was pronounced dead.

Officers recovered a handgun nearby and about 4 p.m. arrested the 17-year-old suspect a few blocks away. It is not yet clear if the suspect will be tried as an adult.

Police said the pregnant teen, who is not being identified, appears to be OK.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...amaritan24.DTL
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

From February 2008:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8216816?source=rss

Superior Court Judge Leslie Landau on Friday sentenced a Richmond man to 40 years to life in prison for the Aug. 23, 2005 shooting death of longtime West Contra Costa schools worker Terence Martin.

Glenn Wilson, then a 17-year-old Gompers High School student, was fighting with his pregnant girlfriend on a street near Lovonya Dejean Middle School when Martin jumped out of a truck and into the fracas. Wilson, later claiming self-defense, pulled a revolver and shot Martin once in the torso.

A jury convicted Wilson in December of second-degree murder with three firearms enhancements.