693 users online (66 members and 627 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Christian Irwin, 48, Topanga Canyon, Aug 2005

Music Producer Disappears After Bizarre Phone Call

Detectives in Topanga said they are searching for a missing music producer who called a friend early Sunday to say he was being chased by people with dogs.

Christian Julian Irwin, 48, was last seen near the 500 block of Topanga Canyon Boulevard. Authorities said the case has signs of foul play.

Irwin, a producer with three Grammy nominations, was chased from his house and through a ravine, according to police. Authorities said he lost his glasses and shoes in a nearby creek.
    http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4888106/detail.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Whoa- how bizarre! Most every article on this so far mentions him getting "scared" after getting a $50K check from a Nigerian scammer.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/articl...TICLE_ID=45952

Family members say Irwin[...]was recently caught up in a well-known Nigerian Internet scam. "He did receive a check in the mail last week for $50,000," Sharon Riolo, Irwin's sister, told the station. "That frightened him. All of the sudden it became a little bit scary."

According to the hoaxbusting site Snopes.com, the electronic scam involves "a wealthy foreigner who needs help moving millions of dollars from his homeland promises a hefty percentage of this fortune as a reward for assisting him."
    http://www.modbee.com/state_wire/sto...11884315c.html

Castro declined to comment on reports that Irwin was caught up in an Internet scam run by Nigerians. Irwin's sister, Sharon Riolo, has said her brother got scared when he received a check for $50,000 in the mail from the Nigerians.
    http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.../APE/508250562
    Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated. -Sun Tzu

Wow! This case sounds very strange. (don't they all, though?)

I have been contacted several times by one of those "Nigerian nationals"
    saying that if I send them a certain amount of money, they will pay me
    $100,000 or more."

If anyone hears anything else about this case, please post it.
    I will do the same.

i don't understand how people can fall for those scams. they seem so obvious to me....

interesting story. i hope this ends well....
    Jaybird

Tristan - I think this is a different scam than the one where if you send them money, they promise to send you a bundle of money in return.

This one is more insidious. They DO send you a check, for a huge amount, and you put it in your bank. Then THEY take their money back out electronically, and then they bounce the check.

So, the bank thinks the check is good, puts the money in your account, they take the money out and now you owe the bank 50K.

According to Clark Howard, financial guy on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird
    i don't understand how people can fall for those scams. they seem so obvious to me....
    There are people who scam the scammers, so to speak. Whole websites are dedicated to this "hobby" and the results are posted for people to laugh about. It's often called Scam-baiting.

http://www.419eater.com/
    http://baita.mugu.co.uk/
    http://sweetchillisauce.com/nigeria.html
    http://www.whatsthebloodypoint.com/ ...and many, many more.

Just a thought, but Irwin could have been doing this instead of "falling for" the scam.
    Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated. -Sun Tzu

He had called a friend and said people were chasing him possibly with dogs. They found his glasses half way down the hill he was running on....it is either some sort of scammer payback or the plot for another movie. Whatever the case this is one strange story.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    He had called a friend and said people were chasing him possibly with dogs. They found his glasses half way down the hill he was running on....it is either some sort of scammer payback or the plot for another movie. Whatever the case this is one strange story.
    It sounds to me like he may have been under the "influenece" myself

A man I knew became again heavly involved with "speed" after several years and became at one point so parnoid he was holed up in his yard with his service revolver saying "they were coming to get me", and all kinds of crazy things.

This of course is just my "WHAT IF" scenerio of what COULD have happened.

I know his family and friends have said he wasn't involved with drugs, but no one except me knew of my friends habit either until he flipped so bad the law was called.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom'sGirl
    It sounds to me like he may have been under the "influenece" myself

A man I knew became again heavly involved with "speed" after several years and became at one point so parnoid he was holed up in his yard with his service revolver saying "they were coming to get me", and all kinds of crazy things.

This of course is just my "WHAT IF" scenerio of what COULD have happened.

I know his family and friends have said he wasn't involved with drugs, but no one except me knew of my friends habit either until he flipped so bad the law was called.
    Actually another good possibility. But if that is the case, where is he? If he was so flipped and roaming surely someone would notice him.

Quote Originally Posted by concernedperson
    Actually another good possibility. But if that is the case, where is he? If he was so flipped and roaming surely someone would notice him.
    Good question as to where he is if that were the case. Perhaps at the home of one of his friends until he gets "a grip" and pulls himself together..........dunno, just another of my dumb thoughts here

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerized
    Whoa- how bizarre! Most every article on this so far mentions him getting "scared" after getting a $50K check from a Nigerian scammer.

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/articl...TICLE_ID=45952

http://www.modbee.com/state_wire/sto...11884315c.html

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.../APE/508250562

I've received several of those emails. You read them and you know right away that they are B.S. If something seems to good to be true...it usually is.

I wonder what scared this man so bad after he received the money? Did he fear that someone was going to come after him for the money once it got laundered into his checking account? If so, he might have been right.

Finding his glasses out there doesn't sound good at all. If I was running from someone and I lost my glasses or they got knocked off I would get caught for sure. I wonder how many people knew that this man just received $50,000? How many people did he tell after he received it? Friends?

Well I hope that this man is found soon. I would imagine the area surronding his home has been searched. How far can a person run? I someone grabbed him it is hard telling where he could be by now. Sad.

"It's terrifying to all of us," Irwin's sister, Sharon Riolo, told "Good Morning America." "We know Chris well enough that if he says he's being pursued or is in danger, then this, in fact, is true."

"We're considering the worst at this point because he hasn't been heard from," said sheriff's Capt. Ray Peavy. "Unfortunately, it could very well be a homicide."

Family members say he's a physically imposing man who doesn't scare easily.

"He's not a shrinking violet," Riolo said. "Chris is a very stable, gentle, kind person … Nothing was out of the ordinary. This is why it's to terrifying so all of us."
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1070232&page=1

In fierce August heat, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies expanded their search Thursday for a missing Topanga man who, in a final mysterious phone call to a friend, had reported being chased along Topanga Creek.

Sheriff's investigators, however, downplayed one widely reported theory behind the disappearance of Christian Julian Irwin — that he was the victim of a Nigerian Internet fraud scheme that had turned violent.

Irwin, 48, had been drawn into such a scam, they said, but investigators had little evidence to connect that with his fate.

They said another possibility is that confusion — perhaps related to some unknown medical problem — caused Irwin's sudden, baffling flight from his house in the dead of night, barefoot and in fear for his life, to hide in the rough creek gorge.

They said they are afraid he may have fallen or injured himself.

"We aren't going to disregard any possibility," said Capt. Ray Peavy of the sheriff's homicide unit. "Did foul play occur? It's very possible. And it's possible it didn't. He obviously felt threatened. Whether that was real or imagined is impossible for us to know."
    http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...ealth-medicine
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Christian Julian Irwin Found ALIVE.......no details yet!

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    "It's terrifying to all of us," Irwin's sister, Sharon Riolo, told "Good Morning America." "We know Chris well enough that if he says he's being pursued or is in danger, then this, in fact, is true."

"We're considering the worst at this point because he hasn't been heard from," said sheriff's Capt. Ray Peavy. "Unfortunately, it could very well be a homicide."

Family members say he's a physically imposing man who doesn't scare easily.

"He's not a shrinking violet," Riolo said. "Chris is a very stable, gentle, kind person … Nothing was out of the ordinary. This is why it's to terrifying so all of us."
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1070232&page=1

In fierce August heat, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies expanded their search Thursday for a missing Topanga man who, in a final mysterious phone call to a friend, had reported being chased along Topanga Creek.

LOS ANGELES - Sheriff's department officials said music producer Christian Julian Irwin has been found. Capt. Ray Peavy said authorities will release more details at an 8 p.m. news conference.

Source: MSN online news

Sheriff's investigators, however, downplayed one widely reported theory behind the disappearance of Christian Julian Irwin — that he was the victim of a Nigerian Internet fraud scheme that had turned violent.

Irwin, 48, had been drawn into such a scam, they said, but investigators had little evidence to connect that with his fate.

They said another possibility is that confusion — perhaps related to some unknown medical problem — caused Irwin's sudden, baffling flight from his house in the dead of night, barefoot and in fear for his life, to hide in the rough creek gorge.

They said they are afraid he may have fallen or injured himself.

"We aren't going to disregard any possibility," said Capt. Ray Peavy of the sheriff's homicide unit. "Did foul play occur? It's very possible. And it's possible it didn't. He obviously felt threatened. Whether that was real or imagined is impossible for us to know."
    http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...ealth-medicine
    LOS ANGELES - Sheriff's department officials said music producer Christian Julian Irwin has been found. Capt. Ray Peavy said authorities will release more details at an 8 p.m. news conference. [as per MSN online news]

Latest Up-Date!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom'sGirl
    LOS ANGELES - Sheriff's department officials said music producer Christian Julian Irwin has been found. Capt. Ray Peavy said authorities will release more details at an 8 p.m. news conference. [as per MSN online news]
    KNBC-TV

LOS ANGELES - A Topanga Canyon music producer, missing since early Sunday when he made a frantic call to say he was being chased, was found Friday, washing his jeans in a creek about a quarter-mile from his home.

Christian Julian Irwin, 47, was taken to a hospital to be checked out, because he seemed disoriented, sheriff's Capt. Ray Peavy told NBC4.

A homeowner noticed Irwin in the creek, recognized him from the news coverage surrounding his disappearance and called authorities, Peavy said.

Apparently, Irwin had been hiding out since early Sunday, and his sister Sharon Riolo helped calm him down, he said.

A Topanga record producer who disappeared five days ago after he telephoned to say he was being chased down a creek by dogs was discovered in apparently good physical condition Friday at a canyon stream not far from where he vanished, authorities said.

Christian Julian Irwin, 48, was seen by a Topanga Canyon resident as he stood naked in a stream and washed a pair of pants, Los Angeles County Sheriff's Capt. Ray Peavy said. The resident, who at first thought the man was a transient, later recognized him as the missing producer and flagged down a passing police cruiser.

When authorities encountered him Friday, Irwin was "very upset and ranting and raving," Peavy said. "He was still afraid that the Nigerians were there."

Peavy said Irwin demanded that his sister and brother-in-law be brought to him and insisted that he didn't trust the police. His sister was brought to him, but when he failed to calm down he was taken into custody, Peavy said.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast