NY - Search for escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
7C8LHE1.jpg

RICHARD MATT and DAVID SWEAT

Search underway for two murderers missing from state prison in Dannemora
PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2015 AT 9:43 AM - UPDATED: SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2015 AT 11:18 AM
Daily Courier-Observer

DANNEMORA - A search is underway for two prisoners, both serving sentences for murder convictions, that were discovered missing early Saturday morning from Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora.

New York State Police said they received a call at 5:45 a.m. Saturday from corrections’ officials reporting two prisoners were unaccounted for during a 5:30 a.m. bed check. State police are now currently searching for the two escaped prisoners.

They are:
Richard Matt, 48, a white male, 6’ tall, 210 pounds, with black hair and hazel eyes. He has tattoos on back “Mexico Forever”, a heart on his chest and left shoulder, and a marine corps insignia on his right shoulder.

David Sweat, 34, white male, 5’11” tall, 165 pounds, brown hair and green eyes. He has tattoos on his left bicep and his right fingers
NY Gov.: 2 Convicted Murderers Used Power Tools to Escape
DANNEMORA, N.Y. — Jun 6, 2015, 4:50 PM ET
ABC News/AP

Two convicted murderers used power tools to cut through steel pipes at a maximum-security prison near the Canadian border and escape through a manhole, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday.

"It was an elaborate plot," Cuomo said after joining law enforcement authorities to retrace the prisoners' escape route from the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, N.Y.

[...]
"A search revealed that here was a hole cut out of the back of the cell through which these inmates escaped," Annucci said. "They went onto a catwalk which is about 6 stories high. We estimate they climbed down and had power tools and were able to get out to this facility through tunnels, cutting away at several spots."

Massive Search For Escaped Inmates
Two escaped from Clinton Correctional Facility
UPDATED 6:26 PM EDT Jun 06, 2015

DANNEMORA, N.Y. —New York State Police say they are searching for two inmates described as "dangerous" who escaped overnight from Clinton Correctional Facility.

[...]
The Governor calls the escape "extraordinary" and says it's the first time anyone has escaped from the maximum security portion of the facility since it opened in 1865.

[...]
State police have set up numerous roadblocks in the greater Dannemora area as they search for the escapees. WPTZ's Vanessa Misciagna reports armed troopers are searching every vehicle on Route 374 at a police checkpoint, and dozens of troopers and corrections officers are searching the woods off Smith Street.

Anyone who sees people resembling the prisoners or with any information should call State Police at 563-3761.

ETA: You can watch the news conference at this link.

http://www.wptz.com/news/governor-holds-news-conference-on-prison-escape/33438874

Just watched the presser here:

http://m.wptz.com/news/governor-holds-news-conference-on-prison-escape/33438874

The escape was described by the Governor as "elaborate" and the first time anyone has ever escaped from maximum security at CCF - ever. Clinton opened in 1865.

They are looking into contractors as all facility power tools have been accounted for.
It is not known how they were able decipher which path to take within the tunnels (trial and error or ...?).

Here's another image of the escapees:

<modsnip>

Both are serving life sentences for murder.
The safety of the People of New York is top priority. These are very dangerous men and the public should not approach them.

I hope they are brought to justice soon. The description of the task force searching for them is SO extensive, if they aren't found soon, it only strengthens my concern that they had help. The question is, who and how much. I'm certain LE will not rest until they are back in custody. I pray no one is hurt in the process. :please:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking a look at Bessie's post:

from mug shot appears are both 5' 9''or 5' 10" at the most NOT 6 feet --

More like the tale that's being told, is "extraordinary", imo. As was reported, no one has ever escaped from this prison, in close to 200 years (however, 13 inmates did go 'missing').

There is only one way in, same way out. For everyone, inmates, their visitors, their lawyers, the security, administration and civilians. IF there was an escape (well, I suppose there is a 1% chance, not likely, though), imo, it happened when the civilians left for the day, with the two murderers leaving with them, wearing civilian clothes.

I think these two murderers also went 'missing'. jmo, of course.

I started a thread earlier in "Breaking news" Should they be combined?

Taking a look at Bessie's post:

from mug shot appears are both 5' 9''or 5' 10" at the most NOT 6 feet --

Excellent catch newone!
:sleuth:

I believe bessie already merged them, but I'm not 100% sure. She edited your OP and added the link to this thread (so I could be wrong).

I've alerted your (quoted) post so we should hear from bessie soon :)

HTH (and :gthanks: for bringing this case to WS!) :seeya:

Sweat was serving life without parole in a state that doesn't have the death penalty so what does he have to lose? Unfortunately, "life without parole" doesn't mean life without self parole.:thinking:

You didn't start a thread, gogranny. You posted a link to the news article. Since there was no thread, I opened one. ;)

More like the tale that's being told, is "extraordinary", imo. As was reported, no one has ever escaped from this prison, in close to 200 years (however, 13 inmates did go 'missing').

There is only one way in, same way out. For everyone, inmates, their visitors, their lawyers, the security, administration and civilians. IF there was an escape (well, I suppose there is a 1% chance, not likely, though), imo, it happened when the civilians left for the day, with the two murderers leaving with them, wearing civilian clothes.

I think these two murderers also went 'missing'. jmo, of course.
If that's true, the cover up is more elaborate than the reported escape.
"It was elaborate, it was sophisticated," he said. "It involved drilling through steel walls, steel pipes."

Authorities don't know how the prisoners got the power tools. Clinton Correctional Facility was built in 1845 and undergoes regular maintenance, so it's possible the tools came from the contractors and workmen who are often inside the facility, Cuomo said.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/06/us/new-york-escapees/
“A search revealed that there was a hole cut out of the back of the cell through which these inmates escaped,” Annucci said.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/jun/06/new-york-prison-break-convicted-murderers-escape

Thanks. New paint and carpet has exhausted me. Sorry.

Since it appears to be a very organized escape, wondering if they will be picked up by a helicopter in Quebec? imo.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...pe-maximum-security-prison-near-quebec-border
"Two murderers escape maximum-security prison near Quebec border"

Last year..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...cape-by-helicopter-was-well-planned-1.2668763
"For the second time in just over a year, inmates used a helicopter to make a brazen escape from jail in Quebec.

Three men fled Saturday evening from the Orsainville Detention Centre in suburban Quebec City with the help of a green-coloured helicopter, Quebec provincial police said."

This is right in the middle of cottage country and this is the time of year when cottage owners are returning to open up their cottages. I really pray that no innocent gets caught up in this, taken hostage at remote cottage or camp etc. We rent a summer place near here so I'm a little freaked out.

:eek:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/n...rs-escape-from-a-prison-in-new-york.html?_r=0

"Mr. Matt was returned to state prison in 1993 after an attempted burglary and served roughly three years before he was released in February 1997, state records show.

By December of that year, he had been rearrested and charged with murder in the killing of William Rickerson, who was beaten to death and dismembered, in Tonawanda, N.Y. He was convicted in 2008."

rbbm.

Gina, be careful! If you are able, please keep us updated with any local news.

This seems straight out of The Shawshank Redemption. Minus the lovable, affable murderers that were in the movie, of course.

Yikes, one of them is a cop killer and the other tortured and dismembered a 76-year-old man. Those two don't have anything to lose at this point.

Power tools? Were they really quiet power tools, the kind that silently slice through metal pipes? The wardens inspect their cells all the time, they can find an errant toothpick! (I watch Lockup.) How did they hide power tools? Inside the hole later on I'm sure, but until the hole was deep enough what did they do?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/convicted-killers-escape-n-y-prison-article-1.2248902

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv