GUILTY IN - Melissa Henderson, 34, found strangled, Lawrenceburg, 17 June 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
She was found dead in her bed back in June, supposedly from natural causes. But Melissa Henderson's family noticed suspicious bruises around her neck at the funeral, and the cops took pictures. Now a forensic pathologist says the 34 year-old Lawrenceburg woman was murdered. Local 12's Deborah Dixon tells us what happens now.

Weeks ago, Melissa Henderson's husband demonstrated how he found his wife dead, on their bed. After a Hamilton County pathologist completed an autopsy, the Dearborn County Coroner announced how she died.

Wes Holt, Dearborn Co, Indiana Coroner: "We came up to conclusions, asphyxiation by strangulation, I'm ruling a homicide."
http://wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=43B3EF06-BD93-4FF5-B4E0-FE58C91088CA

What a strange story. Whatever would make a coroner initially say the death of a 34 year old woman was due to natural causes? Can you just imagine how shocked her family was seeing the bruises and then finding out that she was murdered?

"Investigators believe Melissa Henderson's killer will be identified through crime scene technology. Evidence is being analyzed, evidence the murderer left behind, as the young mother fought so desperately to live."

How much confidence could anyone have when it was the family that discovered that this woman's death was not natural, but a homicide!?!?

Did you see her mother's quote at the bottom of the article?

mysteriew said:
Did you see her mother's quote at the bottom of the article?

No, I missed it ...

Janie Ammons, Melissa's Stepmother: "If it was William, need to show me the proof. I have to protect what I've got left."

:eek: :eek: :eek: I'm sure as heck glad that lady isn't my mother!

Strangulation has clear signs, how could anyone miss these "physical" signs besides the bruising around her neck.

What about bleeding into her eyes.......

I can not believe they missed this !! Maybe the police collected evidence at the scene, due to it being a suspicious death, but then the evidence was placed on the back burner when the coroner ruled it natural causes.

I think that coroner needs to find a new profession !!!

Hopefully this young motehr will get the justice she deserves.

I am surprised the step-motehr is so protective of her son in law. Knowing her step daughter was murdered in her own home and her husband found out she was having an affiar ... It all points to one person ~ him.

Step momma needs to take a good hard look.

Usually when a DB is found, all evidence is collected at the scene before an autopsy is done. Even if it only "looks" like suicide.

Considering the "intellectual challenges" that the coroner has, who knows about LE is this area.

Step-momma needs therapy...........

Jeanna, she was the one having the affair, not the husband.

That does leave the door open - in my opinion - for it to be her lover, and not her husband, but that's unlikely.

I guess that's why they're doing DNA evidence. But really, that would only prove the affair, not the killer . . .

This is a multiple choice exam. If a 34-year old woman is found dead in her bed with bruises around her neck what do you think is the probable cause of death?

1. Suicide
2. Natural Causes
3. Homicide
4. Faking it
5. None of the above

Golfmom - I get the impression from reading the articles, the bruises weren't clear until her funeral.

I read somewhere (I think it was in the Lacresha Murray case) that often the bruises aren't visible for several days - something happens to the skin, and suddenly bruises that weren't visible around the time of death become very visible.

I agree, bruises may not be noticeable but.....there are other clear signs of strangulation.

A cause has to be found, I wonder what "natural" causes this coroner found to conclude that it was "natural", there has to be a cause of death and natural causes is not it. Was it a "natural" hear abnormality, brain, etc.

If a women is having an affair, I would put odds that it is the "spurned" hubby.

I wonder if the reporter took liberties with the quote and misapplied it. Here's another article where the mother was interviewed.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15106420&BRD=2076&PAG=461&dept_id=384100&rfi=6

"Meanwhile, the ruling provides a measure of relief to Henderson’s parents.
“It’s not closure, but at least we know what she died from, and know someone else took her life,” said her mother Janie Ammons, Greendale.
“Me, her father, her sister, Sandi, her daughters, we’re all just devastated. Why would someone take her life? She was a good person. She didn’t deserve this,” said Ammons.
She and her husband, Joe, won’t rest until they find out who killed their daughter, said Ammons. "

CyberLaw said:
I agree, bruises may not be noticeable but.....there are other clear signs of strangulation.

A cause has to be found, I wonder what "natural" causes this coroner found to conclude that it was "natural", there has to be a cause of death and natural causes is not it. Was it a "natural" hear abnormality, brain, etc.

If a women is having an affair, I would put odds that it is the "spurned" hubby.

I certainly would like to know that myself. As it is highly unlikely that a 34 year old woman will just up and die due to natural causes. He should have been on heightened alert, imo.

But of course they will if their air supply is cut off but nothing natural about that.

Some of these coroners really bother me.......so much is riding on them being correct.

IMO

Ocean

“The investigation is continuing, and we are reviewing other evidence. There are definitely people who are of interest,” said Dearborn County Sheriff’s detective John Vance.
“Certain people have come up as people of interest, and we have talked to several people besides her husband,” said Vance.
He would not specify who else is of interest in the investigation.
Sheriff’s detective Barry Bridges and Lawrenceburg Police detective Jeremy Shepherd also are investigating.
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=15106420&BRD=2076&PAG=461&dept_id=384100&rfi=6

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back