Britain's 'Home Economist', Marguerite Patten, dies age 99

zwiebel

Reaction score
Nowadays Marguerite Patten would be called a celebrity chef. However, Britain's Ministry of Food 'Kitchen Front' chef, who kept the country going during WW2 with her recipes for using powdered eggs and spam, insisted she would be a 'home economist' until the day she died. She made her first TV appearance in 1947 and went on to become a bestselling author of recipe books.

She has passed away Thursday from 'an illness stoically borne', family say. She had a stroke in 2011 that left her unable to speak, and since then her daughter Judith - who is not a good cook - has baked her an egg custard every day, of varying quality. Just hours before Marguerite died, Judith came up with a very good pureed raspberry and baked apple dish though and says she is delighted her mother has now passed beyond the past four, difficult years - which her mother 'hated'.

Marguerite Patten epitomizes the British wartime stiff upper lip in a way, and I have to say a couple of her recipes have passed down in my own family and I still enjoy them - if I can get someone to cook them. Even Marguerite couldn't help me to learn the art of good cooking.

Rest in peace. I can't post photos right now, but there are some classics.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/10/cookery-writer-marguerite-patten-dies-aged-99

I LOVE egg custard. But only the English stuff. Not the fancy French nonsense or the bland German whatever. Does it exist in the US?

So glad I'm not the only one who noted her passing, wf. Off to look up potato floddies now. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back