Updated June 18 2015 -Ad Discussion/Information to fix problems on Websleuths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I can assure you that Dave is working long hours every day to make sure your experience on WS is a smooth one.

From now on we need to stick to the facts. As Joe Friday would say, "just the facts Ma'am"

If you want to complain then email me triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com If you would rather complain to me by phone let me know and I'll give you my phone number. I will talk to you anytime of day or night, anywhere in the world.

By eliminating the general complaining we can move forward and fix your problem. I don't mind you complaining at all (which is why I am more than happy to talk to you by email or phone) but I need to keep this forum streamlined to we can figure out the issues at hand and fix them as quickly as possible.

Please post the exact problem.

By posting, "I'm getting pop-ups" or "I'm have a terrible user experience" does no good whatsoever.

We are all about fixing the problem.

From now on we need you to post about problems AND give Dave the information he needs to fix it.

Some examples:

*What are the names on the advertisements causing problems

*Tell us EXACTLY what happened, don't just say, "an audio ad won't stop playing." We need details please.

*Tell us everything you can about the ad.

Later in this post Dave will give you instructions on how to capture the ad code so he can get with the ad agency and remove any bad ads that might have come through.

We have removed the ad in the first post of each page. Dave will explain more later but suffice to say we were not seeing the video ad issue being fixed so we dropped the ads in the first post.

From now on if you have an issue please post it here but PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS FORUM TO COMPLAIN IN GENERAL

It does us no good whatsoever if you complain but don't attempt to give us enough info to fix it.

As owner I can assure you we are working hard to make sure things run smoothly for you on Websleuths. Please cooperate with us and keep this forum free of complaints without information for us to fix the problem.

Remember, if you do want to complain for whatever reason please email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com I want to read/hear your thoughts about technical issues so please do not hesitate to email me.

In closing all the video ads have been removed from the first post in each thread. This was done a couple of weeks ago. You should not have any more video ads hijacking your computer.

The Zales ad issue should be long gone as well.

We have no pop ups on Websleuths. We do not allow our advertisers to place pop ups. Remember, many times a pop up is placed on your computer from another site you visited on the Internet.

I'll turn the forum over to Dave:

Hi folks,

I am sure you have all noticed a bit of musical chairs when it comes to the ads at Websleuths. Tricia and I want to let you know exactly where things are at, where they are going and why it may seem a little crazy at times(besides the fact we are crazy).

First I want you to know that steps are being taken to reduce the number of ads per page. Most all of the time Tricia and I spend in conversations, if not based around what we can do to reduce the ads, it is still on the topic of providing a better experience for you. In order to achieve our goal we must spend time testing old ad providers as well as our new partners. At times this testing expands the possibility of bad ads getting thru. If you do see ads for alcohol or various more mature topics we need to stop it as soon as we can. Tricia and I take this very seriously, if we have to kick an entire network to the curb to stop adult ads or the more intrusive type of advertising we will do so. Already we have removed the paid adverts from the first post, though it was one of the most productive. This particular ad spot became prone to auto-audio and auto-play video ads. It was an issue regardless of which ad partner, an issue that was big enough to make us drop it.

Below I have posted how you can identify ads that may be offensive or overly intrusive. Please know that without this information there is nothing I can do. Without the info, I can read your post, then I am off to mix a margarita.

Now a personal message.
I understand those that use an , I really do. Websleuths is able to exist for one reason and one reason only, it is ad supported. Without ads, how else are the things that keep Websleuths alive get paid? How about a deal? I keep working my behind off to make Websleuths more money with less ads, you white list Websleuths in your ? Sound fair? I am already living up to my end of the deal, we are already down 1 ad and in some cases more.

I know you all are going to be thrilled with end result, so jump aboard the bandwagon. The road will have some bumps but you will enjoy the destination.

Here is how you can help identify the bad guys

Grabbing the needed code from your browser

Move your mouse to just before the problem ad, as close as you can get it. Right click, select inspect element. This will open a frame on your browser filled with code.

View attachment 76302

You will notice one line of code is highlighted. First thing you want to do is expand the top section of code. Drag your mouse in the code frame from top to bottom, you will see the mouse pointer turn to a double vertical arrow where you can now drag it down. You may also find the spot in the left of the frame that allows it to expand horizontally in the same manner.

View attachment 76305

Now we can see a bigger section of the code we can examine it. Scroll the frame so that the highlighted line that we identified above is towards the top so that once we open that little arrow before the code, it has room to expand. Now start clicking all the arrows so that you can see as much of the code as possible.

View attachment 76306

You now have the information I need. The key is to have the code box big enough and the arrows opened to make as much of the code as possible visible to me.

At this point you may take and post a screenshot, it may take 2 or you may copy the code and paste it between [ code] [ /code] tags ( without the empty space after [ ). (added June 18)The first and last line of code should both be <div style="clear:both;"></div>. I need EVERYTHING between these lines.

One last thing for me to touch on. Some of you who are using Internet Explorer may see blanks spaces which make it appear there are more ads than there really are. This is an issue I am also working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304