NC - 6 Shark Attacks in North Carolina waters, June 2015

I was there a week and a half ago on Oak Island.We have property in the area of the attack.My husband is the swimmer but we know enough to not swim at dawn or dusk or swim near a pier or anyone fishing.The water In that area is very murky but it is unusual for this area to have any kind of attack let alone back to back.There is a lot of fishing from the pier and fishing from the beach at dusk.You often see fishermen pulling in sharks that they hooked from the pier that are feeding on bait fish.
We went to St.Augustine,Fl. Last year and was on the pier at dusk watching a shark swim up and down the pier feeding and of course there were surfers next to the pier well the shark ended up swimming right behind a young surfer that strayed very close to the pier and was maybe 20 feet behind him.My husband yelled "shark" and pointed the kid high tailed to the shore and sat for awhile.Now the shark was not after the surfer but could have mistaken him for food.The next day we went to the pier at dusk and saw the shark swimming up and down the pier again.
The attack that happened on Oak Island away from the pier could have been near fishing from the shore because at the end of the day there I see these guys with their carts and rods hitting the beach to fish at sunset.I am not sure my husband will be back in that water,I never liked it because the water is so dark,give me the clear blue waters of Panama City were I can see what I am swimming with.
I heard the victims are from surrounding area and not tourist,I pray they will adapt to this new situation,how traumatic.OAKI .

My daughter, my grandchildren and I will be at the Outer Banks for a week starting on July 4th. We are busily discussing how to keep from being eaten/attacked by sharks. Any suggestions, except the ones listed above? Like, is there a shark repellent?

IMO,and that is all it is, there has to be something in the water attracting the shark(s) to this area besides people. Any answers to Trident's question above? Something to repel sharks via door, most cements? Something to repel whatever food is attracting the shark(s) to this area?

I was there a week and a half ago on Oak Island.We have property in the area of the attack.My husband is the swimmer but we know enough to not swim at dawn or dusk or swim near a pier or anyone fishing.The water In that area is very murky but it is unusual for this area to have any kind of attack let alone back to back.There is a lot of fishing from the pier and fishing from the beach at dusk.You often see fishermen pulling in sharks that they hooked from the pier that are feeding on bait fish.
We went to St.Augustine,Fl. Last year and was on the pier at dusk watching a shark swim up and down the pier feeding and of course there were surfers next to the pier well the shark ended up swimming right behind a young surfer that strayed very close to the pier and was maybe 20 feet behind him.My husband yelled "shark" and pointed the kid high tailed to the shore and sat for awhile.Now the shark was not after the surfer but could have mistaken him for food.The next day we went to the pier at dusk and saw the shark swimming up and down the pier again.
The attack that happened on Oak Island away from the pier could have been near fishing from the shore because at the end of the day there I see these guys with their carts and rods hitting the beach to fish at sunset.I am not sure my husband will be back in that water,I never liked it because the water is so dark,give me the clear blue waters of Panama City were I can see what I am swimming with.
I heard the victims are from surrounding area and not tourist,I pray they will adapt to this new situation,how traumatic.OAKI .

Thank you for this informative info. It is appreciated since you know the locality.

This is JMO on ocean swimming.
When I was young I had no problem swiming in the ocean and would go way out deep. I loved it.

As I got older and learned what kinds of creatures live in the ocean I have to admit I dont go out very far at all now. I usually just walk in to my knees and I wear good water shoes even then. Sometimes I may do some very close to beach body surfing but thats about it.

I just dont want to risk it anymore. My feeling is that the creatures live there and I dont so of course they are going to try to eat to stay alive. When they get hungry they have to eat and they dont know better. Its not like the sharks are saying....Theres a mean old human, lets get him. LOL

I miss swimming in the ocean as I used to truly enjoy it. And I still dont mind going in the water so long as i stay very close to beach. If I ever get to visit Hawaii then I may risk it again deeper as I would love to body surf some nice waves there.

Its a calculated risk and each person has to make their own choice how much risk they want to take on to enjoy the ocean swimming.

My best advice for staying safe is to always wear those water shoes. They are great. The flexible tight ones that snug your feet and have rubber hard soles.

Instead of sharks, I actually get more worried about stepping on a horshoe crab or a stingray.
Those shoes are helpful.

The other thing to stay safe is to keep a good eye out on the water around you as much as possible. Always be looking and watching for fins or shadows in water. If you spot anything at all, go the other way. LOL

And like was suggested avoid very early in morning and close to dark. Those are the 2 times feeding of fish is more likely. All fisherman know that the best "bite" is those 2 times. So try to swim mainly during the middle of the day.

The other thing I like to do is stay near other people. Safety in numbers is true and it works. It also gives you some odds that if a shark does come in others will see it and let you know. More eyes to help look for things.
If you ever watch a herd of wild animals feed, there is always 1 or 2 watching while others eat. Animals us the safety in numbers thing a lot.

Another good tip is like was already mentioned too. Avoid swimming near where someone is fishing. They are throwing bait in the water with their fishing poles so the last thing you want to do is swim near that.

As far as what color to wear I am not sure what is best. Its either be flashy or dont be flashy. Maybe being neutral colors is best. You really dont want to stand out and you dont want to be black like a seal. So being Neutral is best.

Hope some of this helps others.

My daughter, my grandchildren and I will be at the Outer Banks for a week starting on July 4th. We are busily discussing how to keep from being eaten/attacked by sharks. Any suggestions, except the ones listed above? Like, is there a shark repellent?

I posted as many tips as I could think of in my last post above this. Hope it helps some.

Have fun and try not to get too worried before you go. You will have fun. Going to a beach is always fun and relaxing.

I live on long island NY, boy our water is NOT clear, so I haven't gone in over my ankles in 20 years. There was even a great white sighting already this summer here. But when I'm in vacation in the caribbean and I can see down clear to my toes, then I take a chance. But everywhere else: No see, no swim!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We saw a huge bull shark when snorkeling off Key West with a large group of others but the water is crystal clear. The shark was in the "middle" of us. Amongst us. Working the reefs. Those sharks don't play around.
Some of us got on the boat very quickly. The people who owned the catamaran strongly yelled for the others to join us. They had also sited a barracuda and feared blood in the water.
Don't wear shiny jewelry and no ankle bracelets.
I would also get out of the water if I heard a helicopter, but NatGeo believes they attract sharks and other groups of scientists don't.
Here's Ngeo's info:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/about-this-show/can-sharks-hear-humming/
>relevant on helis from link< [Rescue vehicles like Coast Guard helicopters emit similar low-frequency sound waves, so flying them in after a shipwreck might call unwanted attention to any submerged survivors.]

Has the actual specie of shark been identified in these recent attacks?
jmo

IIRC, the one that attacked the two people on Oak Island was a young Bull Shark? There have been multiple shark sightings off the Delaware Beaches which is strange as we usually don't have sharks that come that close.

No way am I going in the ocean past my waist. I haven't felt safe in the water since I saw the movie Jaws lol.

Thanks. I highly suspected a bull shark. Since that incident in the Keys I haven't gone in over my waist either. After all it's the person who is in the shark's territory.
I don't really care what the experts say I will always be convinced that once a shark eats human flesh they will come back for more. I know. I know. They "test it out and don't like it so they don't usually eat the entire human". Logical and scientific. But they don't have to take much of any human to make a biiiigggg difference. Ouch:scared:
Who could ever forget reading about the Matawan New Jersey attacks of 1916?
jmo

Lots of good advice here, thanks. We've more or less decided grandma (me) goes in first to test the water, lol, and if push comes to shove the family will have a good story to pass down about the time grandma got attacked by a shark. Fortunately the house we're renting has a pool.

I was thinking about what you could do if you spot one. But that's the thing, most people don't see it coming. They attack from below don't they? Or underneath. I doubt its like in the cartoons where you see the fin coming (Queue the theme music)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We saw a huge bull shark when snorkeling off Key West with a large group of others but the water is crystal clear. The shark was in the "middle" of us. Amongst us. Working the reefs. Those sharks don't play around.
Some of us got on the boat very quickly. The people who owned the catamaran strongly yelled for the others to join us. They had also sited a barracuda and feared blood in the water.
Don't wear shiny jewelry and no ankle bracelets.
I would also get out of the water if I heard a helicopter, but NatGeo believes they attract sharks and other groups of scientists don't.
Here's Ngeo's info:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/about-this-show/can-sharks-hear-humming/
>relevant on helis from link< [Rescue vehicles like Coast Guard helicopters emit similar low-frequency sound waves, so flying them in after a shipwreck might call unwanted attention to any submerged survivors.]

Has the actual specie of shark been identified in these recent attacks?
jmo

Wow didn't know this about helicopters. That's unnerving as I go to VA beach where the constantly fly military helicopters down the beach lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trident.....if I don't come to my senses, I'll be at the Outer Banks same time as you...near Frisco.

I had read about the attacks further south (Oak City? or whatever), but am definitely freaked to just now hear of 2 serious attacks on Hatteras Island. Yikes. I've been going there for the past 40 plus years, and don't remember ever having to worry about shark attacks.

Usually when I go in the ocean I swim WAY out. No way that seems like a good plan this year. But...at least one attack was in waist deep water? Yikes again. As I'm sure you know, there is about 0% visibility in OBX surf, especially when the surf is up.

It sounds like there's no "safe" depth; you either gotta stick your toes in and flee back to your towels/umbrella, or hope for the best, go in, and enjoy.

The tip about staying near a bunch of people sounds right, as does keeping within hearing distance of a lifeguard's whistle.

And seriously- don't go in the water if you have any kind of open wound, even a little itty bitty scrape.

OBX attacks:

1st.....1/2 mile from fishing pier, approx 11:30-11:45 AM
2nd....open water (no nearby structures), approx 4:30 PM

So not early morning or near dusk. Right smack in the middle of the day and late afternoon. :(

We get in the ocean pretty regularly. I've never gotten in water that wasn't clear, since we usually vacation near Destin, Miramar, or 30A. Morning, to me, is anything before noon, in which I do not recommend getting in the water. Also, I would think anytime after 4 would become afternoon, and we try to be out of the water by then. How are the sand bars in NC? I've always heard never to go past the sandbar. In South Walton county, there's a 2nd sand bar, and I see lots of idiots, I mean, shark bait, swimming out to it. It might still only be waist deep water, but the chances of getting bitten rise exponentially. We've seen lots of sting rays, bull and sand sharks, dolphins, and most recently....a manatee. I'm honestly more fearful of rip currents than I am sharks, though. The ocean is one of God's most beautiful, and dangerous, creations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back