GUILTY LA - Clemmie Hutchins, 82, raped & murdered, Opelousas, 16 July 2005

concernedperson

Former Member
Reaction score
Last month, an 82 year old woman was found dead in her Opelousas home. The St.Landry Parish coroner said she died of natural causes. But now, he says he's having second thoughts. Police now say the woman was murdered.

But, they (the family) tell TV10 that after the parish coroner refused to do an autopsy, they hired an independent forensic pathologist. Eyewitness news obtained a copy of that report, which points to murder.

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3768665

Family members of a woman found dead in her home last month say it's about time investigators officially called her death a murder.

District Attorney Earl Taylor says he's formed a task force to look deeper into the case.

Thursday, we reported parish coroner, Dr. Russell Pavich has ruled that 82-year-old Clemmie Hutchins Meche was murdered.

Family members say Meche was found in her Cherry Street, Opelousas home in mid-July partially nude and covered in blood.

At the time, the responding parish deputy coroner said the 82-year-old died of natural causes.
http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3772768

So this women was found "nude" and covered in blood and this parish coroner(whatever that is) ruled death by natural causes.

What???????.

Does a homocide cost the "parish" money rather then "writing" off a person cause of death as natural.

CyberLaw said:
So this women was found "nude" and covered in blood and this parish coroner(whatever that is) ruled death by natural causes.

What???????.

Does a homocide cost the "parish" money rather then "writing" off a person cause of death as natural.

I had posted another article about this on another thread. Very interesting to see the lack of response in some areas. I was shocked that they found her laying on the floor in a pool of blood covered. Her purse was gone and the medicine cabinets had been gone through. And they still had linkage blindness!!

In Louisiana, the coroner is an elected official vs. say a medical examiner. I would imagine that costs were a factor.....

So does the person have to be qualified to be a medical examiner or can an "elected official" be the guy that runs the local bar and then runs for medical examiner.

Would his platform be: Well I watch CSI and Quincy so I am qualified.

Remind me never to have anything fatal happen to me in Louisana......after all Natural causes seems to be the "big thing" there.

There has to be a "cause" for natural causes.........which to me is: Well a heart attack caused his/her death, therefore that is the reason for NATURAL CAUSES.

Unbelievable......now they are going to create a task force to "ensure" the family feels that everything that can be done will be done.

I would want a place on this task force to ENSURE that they know what they are doing...........

CyberLaw said:
So does the person have to be qualified to be a medical examiner or can an "elected official" be the guy that runs the local bar and then runs for medical examiner.

Would his platform be: Well I watch CSI and Quincy so I am qualified.

Remind me never to have anything fatal happen to me in Louisana......after all Natural causes seems to be the "big thing" there.

There has to be a "cause" for natural causes.........which to me is: Well a heart attack caused his/her death, therefore that is the reason for NATURAL CAUSES.

Unbelievable......now they are going to create a task force to "ensure" the family feels that everything that can be done will be done.

I would want a place on this task force to ENSURE that they know what they are doing...........

Your post cracks me up. Remember the Baton Rouge Serial Killer Task Force? The worst bumbling in the history of "Task Forces" everywhere. An investigator in the DA's office really put the clues together right under the noses of local LE....the perp Derrick Todd Lee took off after being swabbed for DNA. Ends up he was caught in Georgia by the US Marshall's Service then those Task Force yahoos went on national TV crying and patting themselves on the back for what a good job they did. It was so embarrassing to watch.

The coroner in La. has a lot of power...to just make something go away is one thing. No, they don't have to qualified to be a medical examiner. They are md's but local and more trained in general practice than forensic pathology.

In some states the coroner doesn't even have to have a medical degree. In the smaller counties it is a part time, elected office, not well paid, not glamourus at all. In a county near me, until he retired a few years back- the coroner was the local vet.
In our area a suspicious death that has been been determined to need an autopsy- is sent to the nearest city to have the autopsy done. Being a rural area a forensic surgeon is not needed very often (costs too much). Eyeopening isn't it.

mysteriew said:
In some states the coroner doesn't even have to have a medical degree. In the smaller counties it is a part time, elected office, not well paid, not glamourus at all. In a county near me, until he retired a few years back- the coroner was the local vet.
In our area a suspicious death that has been been determined to need an autopsy- is sent to the nearest city to have the autopsy done. Being a rural area a forensic surgeon is not needed very often (costs too much). Eyeopening isn't it.

Actually, I think it is pretty importent that a coroner wouldn't even be an md. That leaves too much on the table (no pun intended). The Lynn Turner case in Georgia comes to mind. Both her husband and boyfriend death's were considered natural causes until further investigation came into play. Both died of anti-freeze poisoning...harder to trace and it gives symptoms of other illnesses. Even though it costs more I think every citizen deserves a proper cause and manner of death on the certificate. And every family needs to know what happened to their loved ones.

I guess "living" in the big city I am spoiled that people who are qualified actually get the job because they KNOW HOW to do the job. Silly me...........

Hey I guess, Louisana can be the "get away with murder" state.

A VET, OMG,

Cost should(but I know is) a factor, if you call a death natural, end of story, no one needs to expend any more work(or $).

In 2005..........I am staying away from some of these Southern States.

CyberLaw said:
I guess "living" in the big city I am spoiled that people who are qualified actually get the job because they KNOW HOW to do the job. Silly me...........

Hey I guess, Louisana can be the "get away with murder" state.

A VET, OMG,

Cost should(but I know is) a factor, if you call a death natural, end of story, no one needs to expend any more work(or $).

In 2005..........I am staying away from some of these Southern States.

I have been known long to cause people to look at Louisiana. So many crimes and so much murder and sexual abuse. It doesn't ever really register on a national scale probably because as soon as it hits the news it goes away. Very little follow up.I know Georgia is better equipped and more melded as far as the population goes.People here expect the government to do something and they are pretty tough prosecutors here. So, I feel OK with Georgia.

Louisiana is a different story all together. I could put together more crime history than you would believe but there isn't a lot of interest. It is kind of like Aruba....if it happens in Louisiana it stays in Louisiana. Please WS's from there don't get mad at me as I am from there too. I have seen a lot and been exposed to a lot. I know at least 2 governors, I have dated one of their brothers and have relatives in the judicial system. Plus, I have seen more coverups than I ever hope to see again. OK, I am off my soapbox.

concernedperson said:
Louisiana is a different story all together. I could put together more crime history than you would believe but there isn't a lot of interest. It is kind of like Aruba....if it happens in Louisiana it stays in Louisiana. Please WS's from there don't get mad at me as I am from there too. I have seen a lot and been exposed to a lot. I know at least 2 governors, I have dated one of their brothers and have relatives in the judicial system. Plus, I have seen more coverups than I ever hope to see again. OK, I am off my soapbox.

It's funny that in the Riley Fox forum we've gone around and around for months about the effect of politics on death penalty cases in the state of Illinois. It's hard for those who aren't familar with Illinois cases specifically to understand and like you said, there isn't a lot of interest. But, if I was to site one example worse ... uhhhh ... it would be Louisiana.

I'm currently following a civil suit against the City of Chicago where two boys (7&8) were framed for the murder of Ryan Harris, 11. The investigators, lied, changed evidence, and in general mucked up these boys lives. The initial claim was that they tried to steal her bike. Turns out she was raped and semen was left behind ... exonerating the boys. I can't believe this case hasn't even made a blip on the national front.

And here's the reason why!

http://www.dailyworld.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050826/NEWS01/508260313/1002

Meche was found July 19 laying on the floor, mostly nude with a pool of blood and blood-stained bedding nearby, and with scrapes and bruises on her face and around her thighs.

The St. Landry coroner's office ruled the death to be of natural causes and, after the family questioned the ruling, refused to order an autopsy unless the family agreed to pay for it. The family enlisted the help of Dr. Emil Laga, a pathologist in New Iberia, to perform the autopsy, which cost them $3,500.

So basically the coroncer goes the easy and cheap way and says this is natural causes. End of story. This is manipulaiton at its best.

So obviously it might work this way. I am going to give the guy a bit of intellegence.

I am going to determine the cause of death as natural. (Cheap)

What??????. Says the family. Look at the "scene" of her death it was IN NO way natural.

But that is what I think. l I am going to rule it natural......

But we want an autopsy...........look at the condition that she was in. It is obvious(at least to anyone with half a brain)that it was not natural.

Well I am not going to agree to an autopsy......it was natural.

So how can we get a REAL autopsy??????

Well I I will agree to order one, if YOU agree to pay for it. Otherwise I classify it as natural.

O.K., we will pay......

Good. Write the cheque.

I guess the people in Lousiana are not concerned about public safety, justice, closure for the victims family or even bringing the person responsible to accountability.

Good ole boys...........

I don''t even know what a parish is. Is Lousiana a poorer state??????? Less of a tax base.

Would the coroner get into trouble if he actually did or ordered autopsies on more people then he is allowed to within a budget????

Do people in Lousiana know how to speall RIGHT, WRONG and ethics???

What if the family KNOWS this is not natural, it is deemed natural and they DON'T have the $ to pay for an autopsy.

I am so confused.....

Oh, it gets better ... they were supposed to be reimbursed for the cost of the autopsy, guess what? They haven't seen one slim dime.

CyberLaw said:
Amy speculation as to why Lousiana is like this??????

Good old boy network, alive and well in Louisiana. It's a coveryourazz state, and it goes furture into "i'll cover your azz for ya, buddy, and you cover mine."

Our law enforcement agencies are notorious for holding information tight to their chests, and not sharing info with surrounding parishes.

We've got cops who've killed, raped, threatened, ect. in NO and BR, and it takes something a little stronger than dynamite to get them off the force.

Combine that with a media that NEVER will ask a tough question, and you got Louisiana.

concernedperson said:
I have been known long to cause people to look at Louisiana. So many crimes and so much murder and sexual abuse. It doesn't ever really register on a national scale probably because as soon as it hits the news it goes away. Very little follow up.I know Georgia is better equipped and more melded as far as the population goes.People here expect the government to do something and they are pretty tough prosecutors here. So, I feel OK with Georgia.

Me too Georgia has really come a long way and most PD and government agencies like the GBI, MEs are top notched and very knowledgeable.

The coroner in my town would certainly have declared this a murder shortly after viewing the crime scene and the body.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Now I love the people of LA but dont think they have advanced much from what they have always done.

I have a friend now retired that was a Detective in New Orleans, she retired early because of the constant corruption and threats made to her and her family. She said you could trust no one and what you knew if you breathed a word could get you an unexpected death sentence. Some in LA dont play around.

IMO

Ocean

fran said:
Good grief! Remind me to stay out of Louisiana. Oh my gosh. :doh:

JMHO
fran

It reminds me of Aruba.........where the government's favorite weapon is "lets cover our own azzes"...citizens be damned.

IMO

Ocean

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998