UK - Woman loses bid to give birth to own grandchild using dead daughter's eggs

zwiebel

Reaction score
In a years'-long case that would have made legal history if it succeeded, a 59-year-old woman in the UK has lost her bid to use the eggs of her daughter - who died of bowel cancer in 2011, aged 28 - to give birth to her own grandchild. A New York clinic had agreed to fertilize the eggs with donor sperm, if the woman, Mrs M, was allowed to take them out of England.

A judge has ruled against her however, saying there is no clear indication this was her daughter's wish, as she failed to complete any written consent. He has also refused any appeal, but made a point of stating the judgement was not based on any moral argument, or Mrs M's advanced age.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...hters-frozen-eggs-to-give-birth-to-grandchild

I am kind of relieved for the potential grandchild. I think it would have been difficult/awkward/bittersweet for a child to find out they were born because the grandmother wanted a grandchild. And not out of the love between a union of two people. Just would be hard, imo. \\

I feel badly for the woman and feel for her that she will never have grandbabies. We just had our first one born last month and and I can see why she would try and make it happen. But for the child's sake, maybe it is better that it does not. IDK

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back