CA - Balcony collapse kills 5, injures 8 in Berkeley

zwiebel

Reaction score
Awful to hear. Most of them were J1 students from universities in Ireland who spend the summer in the us. Heartbreaking

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I just saw news coverage about this.....this is so awful. The group apparently had just moved some balcony furniture/tables out of the way so there would be more room to stand when the collapse occurred. I can't even imagine.....what a horrible thing to happen.

Oh no! Just awful.
My heart goes out to all affected.
:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A helpline has been set up for families worried about their loved ones. Reports are saying now that all the injured are Irish too.

The building was only constructed in 2006, the LA Times says. But you can see from the photos how the floor of the balcony just seems to have fallen away, leaving the railings on top of the balcony below. There's no way that should have happened. There's got to be some kind of structural fault, in my opinion.

The Irish consul general in San Francisco is helping those affected and there is an Irish helpline (+353 1 418 0200).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33150308?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Too many people on a poorly constructed balcony. Modern construction is garbage.

Too many people on a poorly constructed balcony. Modern construction is garbage.

Apparently so. The building inspector said that by code, the balcony should have been able to hold them and more. So, either it was poorly constructed and still passed inspection, or something else happened to weaken it. Its not even 10 years old, so you wouldnt think weather elements would degrade it much. High balconies spook me anyway.

So very sad......

Pictured: The five Irish students and one American tragically killed after a balcony collapsed at Berkeley apartment during a 21st birthday party

Among the dead were three women and three man all in their early 20s

Many of the injured have critical, life-threatening wounds following the fourth-floor balcony collapse in the early hours of Tuesday

The Irish Minister for Foreign Affairs, Charles Flanagan confirmed that five of the dead were Irish

The sixth person was a 22-year-old Irish-American from San Francisco

Department of Foreign Affairs said the people who died were in the U.S. on J1 working visas

There were 12-14 people on the balcony when it collapsed during the party, according to reports

A 'neighbor called the police about a large party in the apartment

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rtment-21st-birthday-party.html#ixzz3dH3v6l61

I thought they used earthquake codes out there. When I saw the pics, it looked like an older building to me. But 2006?! Unacceptable!

I thought they used earthquake codes out there. When I saw the pics, it looked like an older building to me. But 2006?! Unacceptable!

It's typical five story wood frame construction that is common in California these days. Notice how they put heavy steal railings on the sides to make it "appear" that it is better constructed then it is. It's ridiculous what they let developers get away with. The construction is cheap, and they sell it if for crazy amounts of money.

Urine on the carpets and broken fire doors: Inside the 'hellhole' apartment block where six people fell to their death after a balcony collapsed

Residents at the apartment block where a balcony collapsed killing six people on Tuesday have written scathing reviews about the poor conditions

One resident of Library Gardens in Berkeley, California, posted horrific pictures last week of broken fire doors and urine on the carpets

'Building owner is greedy and cares about no one,' wrote Yelp.com Chan N. 'This place is a huge rip off in just about every way'

The managers of the building have issued a statement expressing their sorrow for the tragic death of the young students

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ll-death-balcony-collapsed.html#ixzz3dIiIrwBX
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I wonder what the safety reasons were.:facepalm: Somebody is going to get sued.

gEarfvY.jpg

Of all the things parents worry about when their kids are far away, this is not something anyone could have imagined happening.

Berkeley, Calif., balcony that collapsed was supposed to be decorative: report

"The Berkeley, Calif., apartment balcony that collapsed Tuesday morning, killing five Irish students and one American, was supposed to be decorative, according to a report."

"This was meant just to be a place where someone could stand out for bit, get a breath of fresh air. Not for something like 13 people," Carrie Olson, a former member of the city design committee that approved the building in 2001, told the San Francisco Chronicle."

"But the students may not have known that fact when they gathered for a 21st birthday party -- landlords are not required to post weight limits, structural engineer Joshua Kardon told the newspaper."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...y-balcony-decorative-report-article-1.2260785

"Supposed to be decorative" - what the heck kind of an excuse is that? If you build a balcony with room enough for 13 people to stand on, it should be built to sustain the weight of 13 people, or there should be notices up warning people that its for decorative purposes only.

Outrageous.

My heart goes out to all the families involved. And I hope they sue.

Thats all very interesting about the "for decorative purposes only" thing. I wonder if that's true? I agree with you Cappucino, if you are going to build a balcony that is capable of holding that many people and APPEARS to be sturdy, you have to make it strong enough to support that many people, plus some, OR clearly post a weight limit (even that may not be sufficient).

"Supposed to be decorative" - what the heck kind of an excuse is that? If you build a balcony with room enough for 13 people to stand on, it should be built to sustain the weight of 13 people, or there should be notices up warning people that its for decorative purposes only.

Outrageous.

My heart goes out to all the families involved. And I hope they sue.

Exactly, if it was decorative, then the doors should have been permanently sealed. People should not be on something that is for decorative purposes. This was not decorative. They are just trying to cover their asses. This is just cheap shoddy construction designed to maximize developers profits.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back