SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
Dylann Roof says he almost backed out because everyone at church was ‘so nice,’ bond set at $1 million
Posted 1:00 PM, June 19, 2015, by CNN Wire, Updated at 02:54pm, June 19, 2015

CHARLESTON, S.C. (June 19, 2015) — Dylann Roof was charged on Friday with nine counts of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime for this week’s shooting at a historically black church in the city.
Dylann Roof Hears Victims' Families Speak at 1st Court Appearance: 'I Forgive You'
Jun 19, 2015, 4:05 PM ET
By EMILY SHAPIRO

Several family members of the nine people killed at Charleston's Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church balanced their grief with forgiveness at Dylann Roof’s first court appearance this afternoon.
“I forgive you,” the daughter of victim Ethel Lance, 70, said through tears to Roof, who appeared at the bond hearing via video-conferencing from jail. "You took something very precious from me and I will never talk to her ever again. I will never be able to hold her again. But I forgive you. And have mercy on your soul."

Charleston church shooter hears victims' kin say, 'I forgive you'
By Ralph Ellis, Greg Botelho and Ed Payne, CNN
Updated 9:16 PM ET, Fri June 19, 2015

CNN)Dylann Roof heard words of forgiveness from families of some of the nine people he's accused of killing.
His response: A blank expression.

Wearing a striped inmate jumpsuit, the 21-year-old appeared Friday afternoon by video feed at a bond hearing in Charleston, South Carolina. He stood motionless while listening to the anguished words of relatives of victims he gunned down Wednesday night at a Bible study at the historic Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Thread #1

Charleston Church Shooting Victims Identified
The Huffington Post | By David Lohr
Posted: 06/18/2015 12:44 pm EDT

Rev. Clementa Pinckney, Tywanza Sanders, Cynthia Hurd, Rev. Sharonda Coleman-Singleton, Myra Thompson, Ethel Lance, Rev. Daniel Simmons, Rev. DePayne Middleton-Doctor and Susie Jackson were shot and killed by a gunman around 9 p.m. Wednesday during a prayer meeting inside the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church.
Lest we forget, this discussion pertains to the murders of nine innocent human beings. Keep that in mind and stay focused.

Thanks.

CH56LqSWwAA62HP.jpg

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

I like the new thread title, Bessie, as well as your usual superb timing in hitting the 'reset' button.

Oh, my, that, in its entirity is a repulsive sentance

CH5xn2HWIAA9myR.jpg

CH5xonmWwAE9jkY.jpg

KaaBoom's Post Quoted (don't know how to carry over a post from an old thread):

The voters of South Carolina CHOSE to elect representatives, who CHOOSE to fly a racist flag over the capital, and who CHOOSE not to pass hate crimes legislation. Many of the rest of us CHOOSE to look down on the state for that reason. So whats the problem? Is CHOICE only for the people of South Carolina?

Not ALL of the voters in South Carolina CHOSE those elected representatives..only enough for them to win the election. My choices for statewide offices are rarely elected, but I have to live with their decisions...in fact, I am usually totally stressed out when the Texas legislature is in session as I'm afraid of what they're going to do next. You certainly have the right to choose to look down on any state for any reason you wish but I also have the right to defend the GOOD people of those states. In that regard, I think it is inflammatory to paint ALL of a group with the same brush without just cause. After all, that seems to be part of why we're in the situation we're in at the moment.

ETA: I'm sorry Bessie. I didn't see your post before I did this. If it helps, I was very focused when typing it. :facepalm:

Roof told police that he "almost didn't go through with it because everyone was so nice to him," sources told NBC News — but he decided he had to "go through with his mission."

A sheriff's spokesman told NBC News that Roof's cell at the detention facility neighbored that of Michael Slager, the white South Carolina officer charged with murder for shooting Walter Scott, an unarmed black man.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ch...go-through-charleston-church-shooting-n378341

I came to this thread because I was heartbroken over the shootings in Charleston and needed someplace to express myself , which I have seemed to of failed at miserably to the exent that a fellow WSer state that they sensed racism in some of my comments. My sister used to work just a couple of blocks from the Emanuel Church and I have passed by there over a 100 times. I have been to the library where Cynthia Hurd worked many times and I can picture her smiling face as plain today as the last time I saw it. While not African American, my great grandmother was Native American Indian and I was blessed with her beautiful golden complexion. I tan very dark and throughout my life I have experienced discrimination because others have thought I was bi-racial or hispanic. I would never ever intentionally say anything to offend anyone. That isn't who I am. I do not dislike anyone because of the color of their skin or their religion or anything having to do with appearance or way of life. I dislike those who intentionally hurt others through their actions and words. And I dislike confrontations, I dislike anger and disagreements. And I really dislike that my words has offended someone to the point they get a sense that I am racist.
I wish you all peace .

Excerpts from a NY Daily News article:

“He said he was planning for about six months to do something crazy,” said Meek, who is white. “He wanted it to be segregated. He wanted it to be white with the white, black with the black. All the races segregated.

“He wanted to do something big, like the Trayvon Martin case,” said Meek, referring to the unarmed black teen gunned down in 2012 in Florida by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman. “He was upset about it. It made him mad.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...church-shooter-gun-birthday-article-1.2262393

SMH...........

I came to this thread because I was heartbroken over the shootings in Charleston and needed someplace to express myself
I wish you all peace .

RSBM -- I think that your main points (forgive the crude edit) have come across loud and clear, and I wouldn't worry about the rest of the stuff. It's just a conversation among anonymous people, and it's easy for things to seem more personal than they are.

This judge was only for the bail hearing he has no other role in this case.

The little thank you button seems to be missing - but I want to say a big thank you for posting this!!

Between January 1, 2009, and December 31, 2013,there were 413 fatalities from mass shootings in the 34 member states of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)

Mass shootings have remained stagnant over 34 years, averaging 20 a year and are not fueld by media attention, says a crime study

"Public discourse is grounded in myth and misunderstanding about the nature of the offense and those who perpetrate it,” ......the facts say that there has been no increase in mass shootings

myths of mass murders that he says are fostered by the media:
  1. Mass shootings are on the rise. He used FBI statistics and found they have long averaged in the 20s per year, rarely going over 25. no link between video games and expanded violence,
  2. ....the study found that most are white and about 30 years old, characteristics that “are fairly prevalent in the general society.”
  3. in 93 recent mass shootings, ....... didn’t have a criminal or mental health record.
  4. l,”Assault weapons were used in 24.6 percent of mass shootings, handguns in 47.9 percent. ..............there is an ample supply of large capacity magazines already in circulation.”

U.S. saw a drop in mass shooting deaths from 93 in 2012 to 68 in 2013.

January 2014 in the U.S., there were at least seven shootings at schools and campuses, two shootings at hospitals and two active shooter events – one at a Maryland mall and the other at a supermarket in Indiana. These 11 incidents resulted in six deaths and 16 injured in 31 days.

http://www.securitymagazine.com/art...17-crime-study-challenges-mass-shooting-myths

It feels like some people are more upset at people sharing their personal experiences in South Carolina and/or the South than they are about the actual shooting.

Between January 1, 2009, and December 31, 2013,there were 413 fatalities from mass shootings in the 34 member states of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)

Mass shootings have remained stagnant over 34 years, averaging 20 a year and are not fueld by media attention, says a crime study

"Public discourse is grounded in myth and misunderstanding about the nature of the offense and those who perpetrate it,” ......the facts say that there has been no increase in mass shootings

myths of mass murders that he says are fostered by the media:
  1. Mass shootings are on the rise. He used FBI statistics and found they have long averaged in the 20s per year, rarely going over 25. no link between video games and expanded violence,
  2. ....the study found that most are white and about 30 years old, characteristics that “are fairly prevalent in the general society.”
  3. in 93 recent mass shootings, ....... didn’t have a criminal or mental health record.
  4. l,”Assault weapons were used in 24.6 percent of mass shootings, handguns in 47.9 percent. ..............there is an ample supply of large capacity magazines already in circulation.”

U.S. saw a drop in mass shooting deaths from 93 in 2012 to 68 in 2013.

January 2014 in the U.S., there were at least seven shootings at schools and campuses, two shootings at hospitals and two active shooter events – one at a Maryland mall and the other at a supermarket in Indiana. These 11 incidents resulted in six deaths and 16 injured in 31 days.

http://www.securitymagazine.com/art...17-crime-study-challenges-mass-shooting-myths

How many are in a mass shooting? At what number of deaths does it trigger rhe term, "Mass".

BtW, this does not give ma a warm fuzzy feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member