1042 users online (230 members and 812 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1463
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Land of Ago
    Posts
    15,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve44 View Post
    So what can the family do with this ruling? Do they have to remain passive or can they order a court appointed investigation of her finances and test the inviolability of her trust fund as a possible source for immediate payment?
    We need AZlawyer to aid us in these queries.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by geevee View Post
    We need AZlawyer to aid us in these queries.
    True. Or maybe we'll hear something from Beth Karas or Jeff Gold.
    All of my posts are my opinion only, and reflect my point of view, and not necessarily objective truth.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    24,159

    Lightbulb

    Although it's not enough, it will never be enough to repay the Alexanders for their loss, (and the Chutzpah of Jodi to ask what their donations were- none of her business!), and it will be extremely difficult to collect, at least Jodi now has a judgement against her, and hopefully it'll be taken out of her commissary money and any donations she collects before going to her legal fund.
    Last edited by LinasK; 06-22-2015 at 02:55 PM.
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

    Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

    Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

    I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

    JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie


  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    My Imagination
    Posts
    2,613
    Hmm. If this is to be trusted ja's fundraiser total FOR THIS ACCOUNT ONLY is $73,002.55.

    http://justice4jodi.com/jaa-appellat...mpaign-update/

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,314
    It just would not have been official without a sidebar to start the proceedings.
    And, IMO, JSS still went with the DT in her ruling. The Alexander family would have spent well in excess of $90,000 in travel expenses thanks to all the delays instigated by the DT.
    So, everything normal except for the speed of the decision.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    24,159
    Quote Originally Posted by FelicityLemon View Post
    Hmm. If this is to be trusted ja's fundraiser total FOR THIS ACCOUNT ONLY is $73,002.55.

    http://justice4jodi.com/jaa-appellat...mpaign-update/
    Well, then she certainly has the money to repay them. Gee, how generous of her to offer, NOT!!!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

    Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

    Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

    I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

    JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie


  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,490

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Well, then she certainly has the money to repay them. Gee, how generous of her to offer, NOT!!!
    This 'restitution' granted by JSS is a complete joke. The total amount she awarded was approximately $31,560.00. That works out to $908.00 per year (7 years since Travis' murder) per sibling (5 siblings). I realize that each sibling was given a specific amount based on their own expenses, but basically the judge feels that each sibling deserves less than $1,000.00 for each year that they have been dealing with this nightmare. I hope the Alexander's civil attorney finds every donation and appeal fund that is tied to the inmate and bleeds them completely dry! They can start with the $72K in the appeal fund that Willmott conveniently knows nothing about.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by LinasK View Post
    Although it's not enough, it will never be enough to repay the Alexanders for their loss, (and the Chutzpah of Jodi to ask what their donations were- none of her business!), and it will be extremely difficult to collect, at least Jodi now has a judgement against her, and hopefully it'll be taken out of her commissary money and any donations she collects before going to her legal fund.
    If they asked for 90K as reported, and her attys thought that a bit high without documentation, I can see them being asked to show proof. But whatever they are claiming she cost them, if citizens donated to the Alexanders to help defray the costs of their travels/lodging/lost pay to attend court, I think it is not improper for def. attys to point out that some of their expenses have been covered, if that is in fact the case. And the defense can only know if they ask and are given documentation of donations collected.

    It matters not, really. She can't pay more than a dime here and there. It is a formality more than anything, I believe. It is, however, an important step in the justice process, IMO. People should pay when they wreck havoc that costs other people. And to me, that's the purpose of the next phase, the wrongful death suit or whatever it's called in AZ. This hearing was for restitution, which is basically making one whole after a monetary loss. If they were made whole by other means I am not sure anyone can assume they should be compensated again.

    I am on their side in all this...don't think I'm being mean. I'm just saying there may be laws governing what constitutes a "loss" financially. Loss emotionally, otoh, is something way different. I think Killer should pay through the nose for that.
    Last edited by krkrjx; 06-22-2015 at 05:16 PM.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Land of Ago
    Posts
    15,651
    Finally got to the video of the first of the computer files hearings - I may repeat some info already given during tweets when this was live but I want to post pertinent items from the hearings as I get through the videos:

    Travis' laptop was set on Mountain Standard Time, since AZ doesn't recognize Daylight Saving Time, everything the computer shows was one hour later than actual time in June (Det. Flores woke it out of sleep mode at 10:27 a.m. according to the computer but it was actually 9:27 a.m.).

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    My heart's in Black Rock City
    Posts
    1,929
    I wonder if the $90k could have included a calculation for lost wages. Or is the restitution purely for expenses incurred?

    The Whitney Heichel Memorial Garden
    Bringing "beauty and light into a place where
    there once was so much darkness"
    (Sasquatch, Websleuths member).


    "In joy or sadness flowers are our constant friends.
    ― Kakuzō Okakura, The Book Of Tea


  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6,550
    Quote Originally Posted by La Louve View Post
    I wonder if the $90k could have included a calculation for lost wages. Or is the restitution purely for expenses incurred?
    I have no doubt that they claimed lost wages. Look how many court days there were over a number of years! Even a well-meaning employer would not be in a position to foot the bill for all of that, or even most of it.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Land of Ago
    Posts
    15,651
    Maybe lost wages is what made up the difference between the ~31,000. awarded and the 90,000. asked for.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Great State of Texas
    Posts
    7,614
    http://www.abc15.com/news/region-pho...for-jodi-arias

    15 second clip of
    Willmot saying Jodi is working hard to behave herself so she can get more visitation. Right now she gets one visit weekly, non contact

    Corpus Christi, Texas

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by krkrjx View Post
    If they asked for 90K as reported, and her attys thought that a bit high without documentation, I can see them being asked to show proof. But whatever they are claiming she cost them, if citizens donated to the Alexanders to help defray the costs of their travels/lodging/lost pay to attend court, I think it is not improper for def. attys to point out that some of their expenses have been covered, if that is in fact the case. And the defense can only know if they ask and are given documentation of donations collected.

    It matters not, really. She can't pay more than a dime here and there. It is a formality more than anything, I believe. It is, however, an important step in the justice process, IMO. People should pay when they wreck havoc that costs other people. And to me, that's the purpose of the next phase, the wrongful death suit or whatever it's called in AZ. This hearing was for restitution, which is basically making one whole after a monetary loss. If they were made whole by other means I am not sure anyone can assume they should be compensated again.

    I am on their side in all this...don't think I'm being mean. I'm just saying there may be laws governing what constitutes a "loss" financially. Loss emotionally, otoh, is something way different. I think Killer should pay through the nose for that.
    FWIW, I don't think the DT care one way or another about the money because there is no way the killer or the killer's family will ever pay for anything. That's one reason, again it's just my theory, that the killer's family claims to be victims and filed for bankruptcy. I think the DT is continuing to drag out the time taken by this phase of the case to make more demands which will take more time to study and resolve as an opportunity to get even more $ from the state than they already have. Since they are not involved in the cash cow of the appeal process, this is the last way to wring more money out of the people of AZ. It might help finance the DT while they write a book or a pitch a script or a set up a lecture tour.

    As an added bonus, the DT can continue to belittle and harass the Alexander family through intrusive demands for information which are none of their business. I'm sure that any donations made to the family could have been used to cover legitimate expenses that would not have occurred if the killer had not killed their brother. For instance, medical expenses for counselling and medication alone would have been huge, not to mention needing help to deal with the stress from the slander promulgated by the DT for years as they stretched out the trial. As you say, krkrjx, this could be taken up in the civil suit. And it probably will not result in anything but, with luck and without JSS, a verdict that would prevent the killer or the killer's family from making a dime from the death of Travis Alexander.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,490

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by wendiesan View Post
    FWIW, I don't think the DT care one way or another about the money because there is no way the killer or the killer's family will ever pay for anything. That's one reason, again it's just my theory, that the killer's family claims to be victims and filed for bankruptcy. I think the DT is continuing to drag out the time taken by this phase of the case to make more demands which will take more time to study and resolve as an opportunity to get even more $ from the state than they already have. Since they are not involved in the cash cow of the appeal process, this is the last way to wring more money out of the people of AZ. It might help finance the DT while they write a book or a pitch a script or a set up a lecture tour.

    As an added bonus, the DT can continue to belittle and harass the Alexander family through intrusive demands for information which are none of their business. I'm sure that any donations made to the family could have been used to cover legitimate expenses that would not have occurred if the killer had not killed their brother. For instance, medical expenses for counselling and medication alone would have been huge, not to mention needing help to deal with the stress from the slander promulgated by the DT for years as they stretched out the trial. As you say, krkrjx, this could be taken up in the civil suit. And it probably will not result in anything but, with luck and without JSS, a verdict that would prevent the killer or the killer's family from making a (ANOTHER) dime from the death of Travis Alexander.
    BBM - I added this because the inmate has already raked in thousands of dollars from her supporters and it needs to be stopped!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

Page 5 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #4
    By KateB in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 1253
    Last Post: 02-11-2016, 09:48 PM
  2. Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #3
    By KateB in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 1365
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 11:35 PM
  3. Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #1
    By Harmony 2 in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 1218
    Last Post: 06-21-2015, 12:42 PM
  4. Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 15
    By LambChop in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 946
    Last Post: 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM
  5. Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #6
    By LambChop in forum Travis Alexander Trial - The State vs. Jodi Arias
    Replies: 1155
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 08:15 AM

Tags for this Thread