Australia - 'Black is ugly', 3-year-old at Disney event told

zwiebel

Reaction score
Three-year-old Samara Muir was told 'black is ugly' as she stood in line at a Disney event in Melbourne, Australia, dressed as Queen Elsa from 'Frozen', her mom says.

Ballat resident Rachel Muir says a woman in front of her questioned why Samara was dressed up, as 'Queen Elsa isn't black'. One of the two children with her then said, 'You're black and black is ugly'.

Rachel Muir made an official complaint to management of the shopping center hosting the event after the incident, then went home and vented on Facebook. The news was quickly shared and now little Samara has been invited to appear in 'Disney on Ice', and in a rap video!

Samara and her mom are Native Aboriginal Australians.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/3144181/you-could-never-be-elsa-little-girl-in-racist-attack/

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/pre...ubjected-to-racial-abuse-20150622-ghu262.html

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-22-10-43-24-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-22-10-43-24-1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 261
I wonder if that shopping center has surveillance cameras that could identify the woman who was abusive?

Hard to accept other parents in that line didn't offer support with a 3-year-old reduced to tears in front of them. :( Maybe they didn't see/hear?

How horrible [emoji30][emoji20] can't believe people can be so ignorant and just plain mean.

Hope she enjoys Disney on ice and appearing in the rap video.

Were there any witnesses to this apart from the mother?

Three-year-old Samara Muir was told 'black is ugly' as she stood in line at a Disney event in Melbourne, Australia, dressed as Queen Elsa from 'Frozen', her mom says.

Ballat resident Rachel Muir says a woman in front of her questioned why Samara was dressed up, as 'Queen Elsa isn't black'. One of the two children with her then said, 'You're black and black is ugly'.

Rachel Muir made an official complaint to management of the shopping center hosting the event after the incident, then went home and vented on Facebook. The news was quickly shared and now little Samara has been invited to appear in 'Disney on Ice', and in a rap video!

Samara and her mom are Native Aboriginal Australians.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/3144181/you-could-never-be-elsa-little-girl-in-racist-attack/

http://www.essentialkids.com.au/pre...ubjected-to-racial-abuse-20150622-ghu262.html

She's beautiful.

Hard to accept other parents in that line didn't offer support with a 3-year-old reduced to tears in front of them. :( Maybe they didn't see/hear?

I agree. What I've seen repeatedly from Australia is very vocal people defending minorities in very public ways against racists. I can't imagine other adults wouldn't step in?

The kid is adorable. I do wonder if this isn't a ploy to make some money. ********s have gone crazy lately.

Why are people so cynical that a mother would make this up about her little girl? Is the implication is that "these people" have no morals when it comes to making a buck? I think it's far more believable that Samara encountered an ignorant racist women on her trip to Melbourne. I doubt it will be the last time it happens to her either.

Australia has huge huge huge racial issues.

Why are people so cynical that a mother would make this up about her little girl? Is the implication is that "these people" have no morals when it comes to making a buck? I think it's far more believable that Samara encountered an ignorant racist women on her trip to her Melbourne. I doubt it will be the last time it happens to her either.

It happened many times, and yes, it involved toddlers.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...d-granddaughter-hoax-report-article-1.1841151

So far nobody corroborated the story. I will remain suspicious.

it happens a lot in oz. i am a mixed race southamerican living in inner city sydney and i have been called an "abo" or "coon" which are very racists terms used to describe australian aborigines. at first i couldn't work it out until it was explained to me.
my partner (latvian) was called a white wog at school. i also have greek, lebanese and italian friends who had similar experiences
so yup, as much as aussies would like to think they are tolerant racism and harassment do happen
funnily enough, i never get racial abuse for being latina but i certainly get it for looking aboriginal

Wow, if things happened as mom describes it makes me horribly sad and disappointed. To imagine an adult and the children with that adult speaking to anyone, let alone a child and saying such things is heartbreaking and says nothing about the receiver of such comments and only speaks to the speakers and who they are, who they will continue to be.

I hope this little gal still managed to enjoy the event and remains confident that she is a beautiful little princess, despite what any stranger had to say.

When this showed up on my feed it hurt my heart for this child. As a mother, I simply hurt for her.

I am just shocked. I cannot believe a child in this day and age, nor their parents, would think or verbalize such a thought.

I hate to say this, but I am skeptical. Only because the wording supposedly used by children does not sound "childlike", but more like the hate speech of an adult.

it happens a lot in oz. i am a mixed race southamerican living in inner city sydney and i have been called an "abo" or "coon" which are very racists terms used to describe australian aborigines. at first i couldn't work it out until it was explained to me.
my partner (latvian) was called a white wog at school. i also have greek, lebanese and italian friends who had similar experiences
so yup, as much as aussies would like to think they are tolerant racism and harassment do happen
funnily enough, i never get racial abuse for being latina but i certainly get it for looking aboriginal

Okay. Thank you for the Oz perspective. I know the US gets a low mark on race relations, but this sort of thing seemed rather shocking even for us.

I was reading this story from US perspective, and I am so very sorry you have experienced such hate. You have removed my skepticism. I hope I did not offend by questioning.

Australia has huge huge huge racial issues.

I love WS in that I learn things all of the time.

I always hear how the US is so racist. I would never have thought that about AU. But having read from Aussies and folks who travel more than I, I join those who are saddened and angered by this little girl's treatment. :(

While there are lots of Australians who aren't racist there are far too many who are and it makes me so angry.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back