UK - Britain's heaviest man dies age 33

zwiebel

Reaction score
Carl Thompson, who at 65 stone (910lbs) was reportedly Britain's heaviest man, has died at his home in Dover, Kent, at the age of 33.

Thompson had been bed-bound for the past year and said his doctor warned him he needed to lose over half his bodyweight or die. He is thought to have suffered five heart attacks in the past.

His body has been removed from his home in an operation lasting several hours.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/22/britains-heaviest-man-dies-aged-33?CMP=twt_gu

The Daily Mail has another article, repeating the information about the heart attacks and the takeaway owner who delivered food the night before Paul died. However, I just heard an interview via BBC Radio with Paul's friend, Rosie McMonagle (sp?) who says:

Paul was not upset at all at being called Britain's fattest man and had asked her if she knew about his title.

He was very upset about the suggestions of five heart attacks and insisted that was not true.

There was no evidence of a takeaway in the house and she sincerely believes Paul had turned the corner and drastically cut his food intake. He could do nothing for himself and wanted change. He was convent educated and already overweight as he entered adulthood, but his weight ballooned even more after his mother's death in 2012.

Rosie said Paul loved food and would even rate the meals she cooked him. Sausage, fried onions, mash and peas always received 10 out of 10.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-fattest-man-33-dies-ballooning-65-stone.html

H

This is so sad. I didn't even realize you could live at all weighing 900 + pounds.

RIP Paul

Poor man. :(
I can't imagine how hard it must have been to live at that weight -- even to just move around...things we take for granted: using the bathroom; brushing our teeth; going out to get the mail; grocery shopping. I'm sure, at some point, you become so overwhelmed with your situation, that you feel it can never change.

Someone brought him all that food knowing it would kill him. :/

Someone brought him all that food knowing it would kill him. :/

I've watched enough of "My 600-pound Life" to see how manipulative many of these bed-ridden people can be, when it comes to those who bring them food.

You would think it would be easy...just don't buy/cook it, and they won't have it. But it never seems to work out that way.

I've watched enough of "My 600-pound Life" to see how manipulative many of these bed-ridden people can be, when it comes to those who bring them food.

You would think it would be easy...just don't buy/cook it, and they won't have it. But it never seems to work out that way.

I only recently discovered this program. Eye-opening indeed. I <3 the doctor and how he calls out the enablers. We had this discussion at work the other night. i agree with the doctor that no one gets above 500# without 'help'.

How very sad. His life must have been very difficult. Probably food was the only thing left that he could enjoy since he was stuck in his bed.

How very sad. His life must have been very difficult. Probably food was the only thing left that he could enjoy since he was stuck in his bed.

I can think of a few things that I could enjoy from my bed that don't involve food. :/

In a different, '60s sense, Britain's heaviest man is either Pete Townshend or Ray Davies, both still living.

Killed by what he loved most. Can't say I am not a tiny bit jealous.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back