1235 users online (187 members and 1048 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternArtist View Post
    Thank you for explaining this. One issue I had with the writing is simply the quality of it -it is not clearly or neatly written for legibility and it appears that the marker they used didn't work well on the material. As far as compromising the evidence goes I was thinking that it could damage semen or blood samples if they were present in that portion of the fabric. I also considered that since the marker contains chemicals their presence could disrupt the testing for other chemicals or matter that could be evidence such as pollen or soil for location evidence or chemicals that could trace back to a suspect's occupation, vehicle or home.

I am not a forensic expert so your knowledge of how these things work is very helpful as I continue to learn. If only a small portion of the garment is necessary for these tests then I can understand that there would still be plenty of material to use. I do have a background in textiles so I guess I have a knee jerk reaction to them being written on with sharpie!
    I guess there's always the possibility of police incompetence, especially on a case like this, but generally they're very careful with the labeling and evidence control.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

LONG ISLAND, DNA matches leg, torso found ashore in March: [NASSAU AND SUFFOLK Edition]
    Frazier, Michael. Newsday, Combined editions; Long Island, N.Y. [Long Island, N.Y]05 Apr 2007: A30.

The leg washed ashore on Nassau County's North Shore last week and a woman's torso found weeks earlier off the coast of Mamaroneck in Westchester County share the same DNA, authorities said yesterday.
    Now police are awaiting scientific test results that will help determine whether a leg found in Suffolk County is also a match.
    Investigators have said they believe the remains are that of one unidentified victim in a grisly case that is being investigated as a homicide...
    The discovery of the legs generated new leads in the case after the torso of a light-skinned black or Hispanic woman was foundMarch 3 on Mamaroneck's shoreline about 25 miles north of Long Island.
    The torso had washed up in a dark blue or black suitcase exclusively sold at Wal-Mart stores, police said. The remains had a red cherry tattoo - two cherries on a green stem - over the right breast and stab wounds, Gaffney said.
    The torso belonged to someone weighing 160 to 200 pounds, 35 to 50 years old, and standing in a range from 5-foot, 4 inches to 5- foot, 6 inches tall, Gaffney said.
    In Suffolk County, a leg washed up on a Lloyd Harbor beach on March 27. A day later, another leg floated onto Cablevision chief James Dolan's private beach in Nassau's Cove Neck. Each leg had pink toenail polish on some toes, police said...

In this source from when her legs were found the weight (160-200) and height (5'4"-5'6") ranges appear to be more feasible and potentially more helpful than the NamUs (Cannot Estimate, Cannot Estimate) or Doe Network weight (180-200) and height (5'7"-6'1") ranges. The age range is also a tad different between NamUs (35-45) and this article + Doe Network (35-50).

"Intelligence, as well, is really a kind of taste: taste in ideas. (One of the facts to be reckoned with is that taste tends to develop very unevenly. It's rare that the same person has good visual taste and good taste in people and taste in ideas.)" -Susan Sontag

I noticed a few discrepancies between the NamUs photo and the Doe Network photo of the camisole. The Doe Network photo makes the camisole look like it has black coloring on the top part. Also the Doe Network describes the camisole as having a label in spanish. NamUs says the label is Coconut Republic, size M. The suitcase pictured on either site also looks different. NamUs shows a Protege suitcase with black zipper. Doe Network shows InGEAR suitcase with brass zipper. Can't find a brand label called Coconut Republic that makes camisoles. InGEAR luggage is sold on amazon and alibaba, as well as Kmart.

The Doe Network: 605UFNY

NamUs - National Unidentified Persons Data System

Just some observations.......

Quote Originally Posted by gtbkloretta View Post
    I noticed a few discrepancies between the NamUs photo and the Doe Network photo of the camisole. The Doe Network photo makes the camisole look like it has black coloring on the top part. Also the Doe Network describes the camisole as having a label in spanish. NamUs says the label is Coconut Republic, size M. The suitcase pictured on either site also looks different. NamUs shows a Protege suitcase with black zipper. Doe Network shows InGEAR suitcase with brass zipper. Can't find a brand label called Coconut Republic that makes camisoles. InGEAR luggage is sold on amazon and alibaba, as well as Kmart.

Excellent observations! There is a Coconut Republic in South Carolina and another clothing store by that name in Brazil https://www.yelp.com/biz/coconut-republic-santos
    At first I thought the one in SC would be more likely but the word "Cinco" is the same in both Spanish and Portuguese.
    "Intelligence, as well, is really a kind of taste: taste in ideas. (One of the facts to be reckoned with is that taste tends to develop very unevenly. It's rare that the same person has good visual taste and good taste in people and taste in ideas.)" -Susan Sontag

This unidentified female is listed on the Doe network. Here is the ID number. 605UFNY Just go to the Doe site and type this in. Many people have tried to match her with missing women, but so far no matches. I'm a member of Doe if you have any questions
    Ellie

The only woman I can find missing around that time who weighs around that much is Lonnett Jackson (although she was only about 5'4"): https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/847/

Missing from Pittsburgh since 4/11/06.

rosesfromangels is online now "The trilling wire in the blood / Sings below inveterate scars." - Eliot
    What cruise ships were in the vicinity around this time? Crew member?
    My posts are opinion and speculation only, and may not be used for any purpose outside of this forum.

I blew up the camisole photo and I think the black-looking stuff on the Namus photo is probably mold, or blood, or something like that. It doesn't appear to be decoration or anything that's part of the garment.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Also the Doe Network describes the camisole as having a label in spanish. NamUs says the label is Coconut Republic, size M.
    Both could be correct -- it looks like Coconut Republic is (or was) a clothing brand in Brazil (more info here in Portuguese). In which case, the rest of the clothing label besides the brand name and the size (laundry instructions, etc.) could have been in Portuguese, which many people often mistake for Spanish. There could be a chance the woman is Brazilian...although she also could have bought the camisole at a second hand store or it could be a hand-me-down from a Brazilian friend.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15