"Eight Is Enough" dad, Dick Van Patten, dead at 86

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Dick Van Patten, 'Eight Is Enough' father, dies at 86

By Todd Leopold, CNN

Updated 1:02 PM ET, Tue June 23, 2015

(CNN)—Dick Van Patten, the seemingly ubiquitous actor perhaps best known for his starring role as the father on the 1970s series "Eight Is Enough," has died. He was 86.

Budd Burton Moss, Van Patten's longtime agent, confirmed his death.

"He had been ill for a long time," Moss said.

The actor died Tuesday morning at a Santa Monica, California, hospital, according to The Hollywood Reporter...

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/entertainment/feat-dick-van-patten-dies-obit/index.html[/video]

Sad to report that 86 year old T.V. star and dog food maker Dick Van Patten passed away.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/23/us-people-dickvanpatten-idUSKBN0P31WJ20150623

Also included in his many accomplishments Dick Van Patten saved my life once.

2005 or 2006 can't remember which year anyway, I'm in San Diego with the family for a vacation.

I came out of my hotel one day ( I was on my way to meet a friend for lunch) and who should pull up a beautiful town car but Dick Van Patten.

Van Patten pulls up in the semi-circle most hotels have for patrons to check in then go park.

in 2003 he had been in a movie called Dickie Roberts Childhood star. Van Patten was really funny even though he had a small part.

I started to have an internal battle with myself, "should I say hi? Naw he doesn't want to be bugged BUT MAYBE he would like a kind word from a drooling groupie of a fan like myself wouldn't he? NO WAY. Don't make a fool of yourself, keep walking, KEEP WALKING, KEEP WALKING, OH DAMN HERE I GO MAKING A FOOL OF MYSELF".

"Hi Mr. Van Patten, I've watched you over the years and just recently saw you in Dickie Roberts. Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed you in the move and in 8 is Enough" I said while mentally evaluating whether I am drooling or I just have that white gunk in the corners of my lips. Whew. safe. It hasn't turned into drool yet.

Van Patten smiles broadly and says, "Thank you Sweetheart HEY WATCH OUT". He grabs my arm and pulls.

Dick Van Patten pulled me out of the pathway of a moving car. He did. Dick Van Patten saved my life.

In the interest of reporting nothing but the truth I should tell you the car was going approximately 0.1 miles an hour.

However, if you would like to re-tell the story feel free to leave out the speed of the car. Makes for a much better story.

Dick Van Patten was a very nice man and a good actor. He made me laugh and for that reason I will miss him.

Tricia

He will be missed, and it's wonderful that you have a very special personal memory of your very own, Tricia.

Dick has already told St. Peter the story. St. Peter whistled and exclaimed "Good Lord, great work man. Wow ... 100 miles an hour !!!" ;)

Rest in Peace, Mr. Van Patten :rose:

CINmURTUcAAbP1o.jpg

People magazine ‏@people 33s34 seconds ago

Remembering Dick Van Patten's through his best pop culture moments http://peoplem.ag/7GI6tL3

what great memories i have of watching mr. van patten.......

thank you sir..........rest in peace :rose:

The New York Times ‏@nytimes 56s56 seconds ago

The NYT obituary for Dick Van Patten, who played the father on "Eight Is Enough" http://nyti.ms/1BzebSr

Sorry to lose Mr. Van Patten... enjoyed his work. One of my fav. oldies was he and Kurt Russell in Disney's "The Strongest man in the World ". :(

Awww. I'm so saddened. I grew up watching "Eight is Enough" and always wished I had a dad like him. I hate seeing all these actors I grew up with dying.

RIP Dick Van Patten!
I enjoyed Eight is Enough.
He was a great actor and spokesperson.
He will be missed!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members