Found Deceased AZ - Janet Castrejon, 44, Chiricahua National Monument, 19 June 2015

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Janet Castrejon

Authorities on missing woman in Chiracahuas: 'We can't rule out foul play'

After an exhaustive search for a missing and endangered woman in the Chiricahua Mountains with no answers, authorities are now investigating the possibility of foul play.

Janet Castrejon, 44, was reported missing the evening of June 19. She was last seen in a remote section of the Chiricahua National Monument near the Arizona-New Mexico border, an area that is no stranger to human trafficking and drug smuggling, according to the Cochise County Sheriff's Department.

"We're not focusing solely on the fact she may have just walked away," said Carol Capas, spokesperson for Cochise County Sheriff's Department. "We're looking into several possibilities that include the trail areas where smuggling is common. We can't rule out foul play."

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/...in-chiricahua-mtns-we-cant-rule-out-foul-play

I hope she is safe some place...who reported her missing? Was she with other people or off by herself? Camping? I hope she has water...it has been really hot here! over 100 :(

"Partially blind with the mental capacity of a 5 year old" I vote she got lost

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The family is trying to raise awareness. They have set up a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/findjanet The URL www.findjanet.org has been set up to redirect people to the Facebook page. They are asking people to use #findJanet on social media.

The family was camping when she disappeared.

Castrejon is partially blind and has the mental capacity of a 5-year-old. Her condition was caused by a traumatic brain injury sustained in a car accident when she was 18, from which she also suffered permanent memory loss.

She has difficulty speaking, and has no vision in one eye with limited sight in the other.

Castrejon and her parents are residents in Las Cruces, NM, where her father is a prominent family physician.

The three arrived at Rustler Park Campground in the Chiricahuas around 1:30 p.m. on June 19.

A few hours later, Castrejon and her mother left their RV and walked a short distance to the park's self-pay station, Capas said.

After making a payment, Castrejon's mother stopped at a nearby restroom.

Castrejon didn't need to use the facilities, so she told her mother she wanted to go back to the campground to meet her father.

She never made it.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/...in-chiricahua-mtns-we-cant-rule-out-foul-play

Here is another article with some more info. http://www.abqjournal.com/602824/ne...as-cruces-woman-abducted-on-camping-trip.html

A spokeswoman for the Cochise County Sheriff’s Office confirmed Monday that rescue crews suspended the search on Sunday evening. The crews have concluded that Janet Castrejon is no longer in the Rustler Park area, the spokeswoman, Carol Capas, said.

“She does not appear to be in that mountainous area anymore,” Capas said. “We had significant number of resources in this search, and after being out there more than 72 hours, the crews reached the exhaustion phase. We will regroup and assess and stay in contact with the family.”

Capas said authorities have entered Janet Castrejon into the FBI’s National Crime Information Center, which retains information on missing individuals until they are found. In this case, Capas said, authorities cannot issue a Silver or Amber alert because of Janet Castrejon’s age.

...Janet Castrejon’s cousin, XXXXXXXXXX, pastor of the Gurnee Seventh-day Adventist Church in Gurnee, Illinois, earlier told the Adventist Review that she went missing while hiking with her brother. News reports, citing local police, contained similar information.

But the father provided a new timeline of events. He said he, his wife, and daughter arrived in a motor home at the Rustler Park campgrounds around 1:30 p.m. Friday for their third visit to the park. His wife and daughter took a short walk later in the day and his daughter decided to walk back to the motor home alone when her mother stopped in a restroom. She never reached the motor home.

After searching the area and talking with other campers for some time, the parents grew increasingly worried as night fell and contacted their son. He, in turn, called the police.

...People have gotten lost while hiking in the U.S. West before. In November, a group of 15 young Adventists camped overnight in a remote California canyon after getting lost during a weekend hike. They were rescued by helicopter the next day.

http://www.adventistreview.org/chur...ist-woman-goes-missing-during-hike-in-arizona

This is a weird and sad one. Why would she let her daughter find her way back to the camp herself? By these accounts, she was mostly blind, had short term memory loss, and the mental capacity of a child. Just ONE of those disabilities would be enough reason to keep an eye on her... why wasn't she asked by her mother to wait in the bathroom for her??

CCSO searches for woman in Chiricahuas

http://www.willcoxrangenews.com/news/article_98d66c14-19fb-11e5-8572-af3fd54aafa3.html

The search continues for a missing Las Cruces woman who had gone camping with her parents in the Chiricahuas.
Considered a “missing\endangered person,” 44-year-old Janet Castrejon suffers from a traumatic brain injury sustained in a car accident when she was 18-years old, said spokeswoman Carol Capas with the Cochise County Sheriff’s Office.

Very strange the two VERY different accounts of her disappearance. Kinda makes you go hmmmm.....

Very strange the two VERY different accounts of her disappearance. Kinda makes you go hmmmm.....

There are 3 of them....left outside while the mother used the restroom....out walking with the parents and she headed back ALONE....out hiking with the brother and he 'lost' her....I'm with you HMMMMM. Is it possible each thought she was with the other, hence no one knows where she went?

Every time I read about this woman's disappearance my mind takes me back to 2002 and the murder of seven year old Danielle Van Dam by David Westerfield. He had kidnapped Van Dam from her bedroom and killed her at some point inside his RV while roaming around southern California. So...I am curious if there were other RV campers besides the parents at this campground at the time and, if so, were these other campers questioned and their RVs searched by LE for Janet? I believe that I have read all of the MSM concerning this disappearance but could have missed something.

There are 3 of them....left outside while the mother used the restroom....out walking with the parents and she headed back ALONE....out hiking with the brother and he 'lost' her....I'm with you HMMMMM. Is it possible each thought she was with the other, hence no one knows where she went?

This article explains where the story of her being out hiking with her brother came from: http://www.adventistreview.org/chur...ist-woman-goes-missing-during-hike-in-arizona

Janet Castrejon’s cousin, Edye Campos, pastor of the Gurnee Seventh-day Adventist Church in Gurnee, Illinois, earlier told the Adventist Review that she went missing while hiking with her brother. News reports, citing local police, contained similar information.

But the father provided a new timeline of events. He said he, his wife, and daughter arrived in a motor home at the Rustler Park campgrounds around 1:30 p.m. Friday for their third visit to the park. His wife and daughter took a short walk later in the day and his daughter decided to walk back to the motor home alone when her mother stopped in a restroom. She never reached the motor home.

Her parents later called her brother, who called police.

The family has set up a donation page to generate money for a reward. They have earned almost $10,000 already. :thinking:

Oh man. I'm not liking this at all.
I don't know why but I'm thinking she never got there. I have nothing to base it on, just a hunch.
I would love to be wrong.

Do you suppose the parents changed the story to protect the brother?

I honestly think she got lost and is lying somewhere, sadly, deceased.

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but if her family wished to have her gone, they would not have waited so many years. The poor girl sustained her injuries when she was 18. There is no indication that her family has done anything other than care for her until this happened.

Maybe I am naive, but I really think this is an accident. A horrible, horrible, accident.

BTW the story changing - IDK, I've only been here a couple of years, and I've seen a lot of reporting getting stories mixed up, especialy in the initial stage. The rush to be first often leads to misleading info IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back