Tunisia - GUILTY - 38 killed in resort shooting, Port El Kantaoui, 26 June 2015 *Arrests*

zwiebel

Reaction score
The Tunisian Ministry of the Interior have confirmed 19 sunbathers on a Tunisian beach and in a tourist hotel are dead after gunmen armed with Kalashnikovs opened fire. There are also injured.

The Imperial Marhaba hotel in Sousse is a popular destination for vacationers from many European countries.

http://rt.com/news/269959-tunisia-hotel-attack-gunfire/

[video=twitter;614406592658849792]https://twitter.com/fgerschel/status/614406592658849792[/video]

[video=twitter;614409573181587456]https://twitter.com/ahmedhamza87/status/614409573181587456[/video]

I can't see any numbers for people to call yet. Big companies like Thompson organize holidays there.

Those poor relatives of the victims ! Until now, it was probably thought a safe place to vacation at.
This Isis is like a spreading cancer.
:moo:

Those poor relatives of the victims ! Until now, it was probably thought a safe place to vacation at.
This Isis is like a spreading cancer.
:moo:

We'd have been better off letting vicious dictators like Saddam Hussein stay put to keep these scum down. That's why destabilising the region with an invasion was so counter-productive. Trouble is, we have now allowed a monster to be spawned which threatens all of us. I think at some point we are going to have to go in there with boots on the ground and destroy their evil so-called Caliphate. The longer we leave it, the more dangerous they become.

Insofar as the beach attacks are concerned, a work colleague of mine and his girlfriend who is also a work colleague, are currently midway through a two week holiday in Tunisia. We have yet to hear any concrete news of British victims, and I have no idea exactly which part of Tunisia my work colleagues are in. Have left a message on his FB page. Obviously, I'd like to know they are ok.

Just been confirmed in the news that there are Britons amongst the victims. My hopes are for my workmate right now, and my deepest sympathies for all the victims and their loved ones.

Apologies. Have heard from my work colleague, and it is with some relief that I realise I got it wrong. He is actually in Egypt and not Tunisia.

The death toll is now up to 37, with Brits, Irish, Germans, and Belgians known to be among the dead

What I don't understand is who in their right mind goes to Tunisia for a beach vacation? Don't these people read newspapers? Just a few months ago cruise passenger's were killed by ISIS when they were on a shore excursion in Tunis. Ditto the European tourists who still travel to Egypt by the plane loads. These places were once safe for Westerners but not any more in fact as a westerner I would be leery about travelling to Turkey for fear that ISIS agents would kidnap me.

When I heard about this jihadist massacre of European sun-worshipers in Tunisia I was reminded of an article I saw a few days ago from Morocco where the locals are asking tourists not to wear bikini's during Ramadan. Even "moderate" countries like Morocco are becoming more and more radicalized. European tourists are deluding themselves if they think they can be safe in these places.

50a62841-8f20-40ae-9d93-b49e94a26e8e_16x9_600x338.jpg

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/var...fers-call-for-bikini-lull-during-Ramadan.html

Why is this not all over the news? I mean, ok, gay people can get married, but I have to dig to get more information about the killings in Tunisia and France.

On a side note, only 4 years ago two pairs of my friends went to Tunisia on their honeymoon.

We'd have been better off letting vicious dictators like Saddam Hussein stay put to keep these scum down. That's why destabilising the region with an invasion was so counter-productive. Trouble is, we have now allowed a monster to be spawned which threatens all of us. I think at some point we are going to have to go in there with boots on the ground and destroy their evil so-called Caliphate. The longer we leave it, the more dangerous they become.

Insofar as the beach attacks are concerned, a work colleague of mine and his girlfriend who is also a work colleague, are currently midway through a two week holiday in Tunisia. We have yet to hear any concrete news of British victims, and I have no idea exactly which part of Tunisia my work colleagues are in. Have left a message on his FB page. Obviously, I'd like to know they are ok.

Just been confirmed in the news that there are Britons amongst the victims. My hopes are for my workmate right now, and my deepest sympathies for all the victims and their loved ones.

What destabilized the region was not staying until the job was done as in WWII. It is not pc to win a war anymore.

I agree. It was a huge mistake on the part of Western leaders to lend our Air Forces to provide air support to Al Qaeda rebel forces in Libya. I don't know if our leaders were just being stupid or if this is part of a master plan to wreak havoc across that region of the world. This has really backfired. Today ISIS controls large parts of Libya (in addition to Syria and Iraq!) and Libya is the departure port for flotilla's of "refugees" arriving in Italy (Qaddafi warned that this would happen!) . In just the last few months 40,000 potential jihadists have arrived by boat in Italy and they are being dispersed across Europe. Jihadist attacks on Europeans like the attack in Grenoble France and in Tunisia will soon become common place sadly.

What destabilized the region was not staying until the job was done as in WWII. It is not pc to win a war anymore.

Saddam Hussein was an evil man, but we in the west choose other evil men as allies, eg that dude in Uzbekistan whose regime is prone to boiling it's own political dissidents alive. Saddam Hussein - although capable of local land grabs if he thought he could get away with it - was not our enemy. He wasn't running AlQuaida, nor sending terrorists around the world to attack us. As a secular regime, he regarded AlQauida as enemies too. And he kept those who potentially were our enemies down - because they were his enemies too.

Invading Iraq was our biggest mistake, and no amount of hanging around there afterwards was ever going to undo that. It took the barbarity and cruelty of Saddam to keep our enemies down. We in the west could never behave quite so badly, and certainly not indefinitely, without enormous reputational damage and negative political costs.

There is nothing wrong with winning a war, but our societies need to excercise much more wisdom in terms of choosing which wars to fight.

Anyway, don't think I'll say anymore after this, because this subject is potentially way too political.

Chilling new details of Tunisia beach massacre: Killer joked as he selected his sunbathing victims before opening fire with an AK47, killing 37 - including five Britons - and seriously wounding 36

Gunmen have carried out a terrorist attack at holiday destination of Sousse
One of the assailants was shot dead by police while another was arrested
A British man injured in the onslaught used his body to save his fiancee
An English teenager survived but saw his parents and grandmother killed

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tside-hotel-packed-Britons.html#ixzz3eF2S4TiF
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Re BBM

I agree with that for sure. He was making direct threats at the time, but they were just like the 100s of threats of the North Korea dictator and nothing ever happens (yet).

IMO
I think one thing our leaders need to learn is in some societies they rely on a dictator rather than democracy. For hundreds and hundreds of years they have become accustomed to be ruled by a dictator and their societies are molded in that way. Even if some dictators like Hussain are evil, it is all they know and they functioned around that.

Unless someone wants to rule their country for them, you cant just take out their leadership and expect it to be able to function well. And you surely cannot expect to be able to turn a dictator society over to a democratic one overnight unless you want to rule the country for them.

Look what happened when some of them get the right to vote for the first time. I cannot remember the specific example but I recall they voted in someone who was totally unexpected and not considered to be a democratic type person. Basically voting in an evil dictator.

There are no easy answers but I do hope these lessons are being learned and I do hope a worldwide coalition can stop the ISIS. They are barbaric and out of control. The world needs to wake up and put a stop to it.

No group should be allowed to kill, maim, torture people anywhere and that is exactly what ISIS is doing everywhere in multiple countries. They need stopped immediately. The sooner the better. It should be a worldwide coalition because I dont understand why any country would want to allow these monstrocities to happen.

This article interviews one of the victims who was injured:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...right-at-me-i-thought-i-was-dead-says-tourist

The picture of the staff cleaning the steps at the front of the Imperial Marhaba Hotel is just chilling.

On the subject of why people go to countries like Egypt and Tunisia, not everyone in those countries is a Jihadist and they rely very heavily on tourism. If the rest of the world simply abandons them then that will be exactly what IS wants.

Tunisians are turning out to donate blood to help injured victims.

I read a post from someone on another forum who has a Tunisian friend who works in the resort. He said that staff have been in tears about this.

To be honest, I do not believe staying away from north Africa will exempt Europeans from attacks. Sadly I think these kinds of attacks are going to be an increasing occurrence in all of the major European countries and those who think simply not going to tourist resorts in those countries will keep them safe are probably deluding themselves.

My (admittedly political) question would be why on earth the rest of the world has stood by over decades and allowed Saudi Arabia to export its poisonous version of Islam (Wahhabism) to such devastating effect and to the point where it seems debatable whether it is now containable.

At Least Eight Britons Killed In Tunisia Attack

Most of the victims of a terrorist attack targeting tourists in Tunisia are British, officials said, as Islamic State claimed responsibility for the massacre.

The Tunisian Health Ministry said eight Britons, one German and one Belgian had been identified among the victims.

The new toll came as David Cameron said the British public needs to be prepared for the fact that "many of those killed" in the "savage" shooting were British.

Defence Secretary Michael Fallon told Sky News: "Sadly, we believe the majority are British of those who have been killed or injured.

"There are some victims who still have to be identified but the number, I'm sad to say, is going to increase."

I thought this would have gotten a bigger response on WS, I was shocked yesterday I couldn't even find a thread about it. I was looking on my phone though and looking in the wrong place...

Tunisia hotel attack: Live updates as authorities reveal 'majority' of victims are British

The 'majority' of people who died in yesterday's horrific terror attack in Tunisia were British, the country's PM has said. Latest developments today include:

• Eyewitnesses have revealed the gunman 'deliberately targeted' Brits during his rampage
  • Thomson has cancelled all Tunisian holidays for the next week as thousands of British tourists head home
  • In the wake of attacks on 3 continents yesterday, off-duty police officers in the UK have been told not to wear their uniform in public
  • An ISIS plot to target an Armed Forces Day Parade in south London has reportedly been foiled
  • If you are concerned about relatives in Tunisia, you can call the Foreign Office helpline on 0207 008 0000

My (admittedly political) question would be why on earth the rest of the world has stood by over decades and allowed Saudi Arabia to export its poisonous version of Islam (Wahhabism) to such devastating effect and to the point where it seems debatable whether it is now containable.

The answer to that basically boils down to economic self-interest. Saudi Arabia sits on such vast oil resourses, that even making these temporarily unavailable through conflict - with the risk of Saudi extremists blowing the oil wells up and putting them out of action for months - would have an utterly devastating impact upon oil prices and availabilty. We'd probably be plunged into a depression much worse even thah that of the 1930s.

Furthermore, whatever the dismal failings of the Saudi regime, it has generally cooperated with the west internationally, and it is highly likely that were that regime to be toppled, it would be replaced by extremist nutjobs very similar to ISIS. So we back the current regime as the lesser evil and only viable option to the nutjobs running the show.

But we should be using our economic leverage much more effectively to have the Saudis themselves crack down on the Wahabists. Wealthy Saudis - Bin Laden himself came from a wealthy Saudi family and used that wealth to build up AlQuaida - are funding schools all over the Middle East which are propagating Islamic extremism, also helping to fund ISIS and Islamic extremist terrorists all over the place. Trying to put a stop to this would be advisable.

And yes, the power of the so-called Caliphate will grow if we do nothing to stop it. Sooner or later it will mastermind an atrocity somewhere on the scale of 9/11. And sooner or later it will find the means to hit out at innocent Americans, too. Ignoring ISIS will not keep America safe, still less Europe. It just lets the danger grow greater.

I thought this would have gotten a bigger response on WS...

The majority of this forum's membership are Americans, and these terrorist attacks appear to have been under-reported in the US media. Right now the aftermath of the Charleston massacre and the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage - understandably big news in America - appear to have crowded out reporting of the terrorist attacks, all the more so since there appear to have been no American victims this time.

I was chatting to an American friend in Pittsburgh this morning, and was surprised to learn that she hadn't even heard about the terrorist attacks in the media. I had to tell her myself what had happened.

I know that Americans are neither ignorant about, nor usually uninterested in, such things happening elsewhere. But they do need to be able to rely on their media to keep them informed.

I simply don't understand why so much of the American media seems to regard this as so comparatively unnewsworthy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back