761 users online (100 members and 661 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Poland - Missing Woman, (Warsaw Ghetto)Warsaw, 3 April 1946

Search for Missing Woman from 1946 Photograph of the Warsaw Ghetto

The Girl looking at the ruins of the Warsaw Ghetto on April 3, 1946, photo: Reginald Kenny / Bettmann/CORBIS

The search for a mysterious girl photographed in the ruins of the Warsaw Ghetto almost 70 years ago has yielded no results so far. She would be in her eighties right now, and could be anywhere in the world.

Until recently this was not a very well-known picture in Poland. But over the last month thanks to the efforts of a couple people and a Facebook profile, the image has gone viral and is now on the path to becoming one of the most iconic images of destroyed Warsaw. Still, while the Internet was able to establish a lot of important facts, including the exact location of the place, the main goal of the whole effort has not yet been achieved, which is finding the girl in the picture and getting to know her story.

Here's the story behind the most viral image in Poland right now.

http://culture.pl/en/article/search-...-warsaw-ghetto
    My kids are a window to my past, a mirror of today, a door to tomorrow, and a keeper of this proud old dad's heart forever.

I'm of Polish descent myself, and greatly interested in WWII era...I hadn't heard of this one before.

Hmm...if we know who the photographer is, can we zero in on anyone remaining who might have known him during the post-war era? Did he speak of his time there? Or, do we know if he's left any notes or journals anywhere which might provide a clue? How about the rest of the trip? Before or after he photographed the young woman, where was he?

I don't think a whole lot of people in that age group are very active online unfortunately so this might be a tough one to figure it out. Hopefully someone somewhere will recognize her though!