Poland Poland - Missing Woman, (Warsaw Ghetto)Warsaw, 3 April 1946

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Search for Missing Woman from 1946 Photograph of the Warsaw Ghetto

The Girl looking at the ruins of the Warsaw Ghetto on April 3, 1946, photo: Reginald Kenny / © Bettmann/CORBIS

The search for a mysterious girl photographed in the ruins of the Warsaw Ghetto almost 70 years ago has yielded no results so far. She would be in her eighties right now, and could be anywhere in the world.

Until recently this was not a very well-known picture in Poland. But over the last month thanks to the efforts of a couple people and a Facebook profile, the image has gone viral and is now on the path to becoming one of the most iconic images of destroyed Warsaw. Still, while the Internet was able to establish a lot of important facts, including the exact location of the place, the main goal of the whole effort has not yet been achieved, which is finding the girl in the picture and getting to know her story.

Here's the story behind the most viral image in Poland right now.

http://culture.pl/en/article/search-for-missing-woman-from-1946-photograph-of-the-warsaw-ghetto

I'm of Polish descent myself, and greatly interested in WWII era...I hadn't heard of this one before.

Hmm...if we know who the photographer is, can we zero in on anyone remaining who might have known him during the post-war era? Did he speak of his time there? Or, do we know if he's left any notes or journals anywhere which might provide a clue? How about the rest of the trip? Before or after he photographed the young woman, where was he?

I don't think a whole lot of people in that age group are very active online unfortunately so this might be a tough one to figure it out. Hopefully someone somewhere will recognize her though!

The shirt has been altered to fit her better, the shoes are a few sizes too big. Single strap to hold up the skirt or some sort of sash? Wait, the second picture in the news article shows both crossed straps.

Hard to tell her age as she probably had too few calories for the last 6 or 8 years. 10 to 12?

Weird that with 2 images by different professional photographers at essentially the same time -- she remains unidentified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back