5801 Eagle Drive for sale

armywife210

Reaction score
I just wanted to let y'all know that the former Routier home is now up for sale. I was searching Rowlett for homes on realtor.com and it popped up in front of me. It has a lot of pictures of the home, and you can also go to 5801eagledrive.com The current owner has put that webpage up, and it has a ton of pictures, in and out, of the home. There have been some changes to the homes interior (and exterior, but only slightly) but it made me better understand how the house looked inside and outside. The fountain is gone in front, and the hot tub house has been taken down and what remains appears to be a little deck patio thing.

Wow, all of that for only $197,900!

Seems 10 years didn't really change the value of the property.

I can see what you mean about checking out the link it does put things into a better perspective.

Thanks for sharing,

S

Thanks for posting this. Those pictures show the rooms and layout better than the books. Strange to see it w/o blood. I must admit, some of those pictures actually made me feel sick. Seeing the rooms in a different perspective than a crime scene makes me remember it was a home and those boys lived there, not just died there.

Thanks, Army, for posting this. Someone has taken great pains to beautify the home and take it from garish to glorious!

There is more info re the home (from the Dallas tax site) here:

http://www.dallascad.org/AcctDetailRes.aspx?ID=440014100H0010000

Rather surprisingly, it only has a $161,000 evaluation for the tax rolls. And in 1999, it was only appraising for $112,000. It's also had at least 2 owners since the Routiers (it only goes back as far as 1999, and I'm not exactly sure when Darin sold it, or it was foreclosed).

Is this recent? the price for the house is really low compared to what I would expect.

It basically means me and my husband own a mansion and there would be big bucks for basic crap.

Wow. That is just eerie. Looking at those photos was a very strange experience. Particularly the ones of the kitchen and the roman room.

Do you think they would have to disclose to potential buyers the history of the house? I certainly couldn't stand to live there. *Shudder*

HeartofTexas said:
Thanks, Army, for posting this. Someone has taken great pains to beautify the home and take it from garish to glorious!

There is more info re the home (from the Dallas tax site) here:

http://www.dallascad.org/AcctDetailRes.aspx?ID=440014100H0010000

Rather surprisingly, it only has a $161,000 evaluation for the tax rolls. And in 1999, it was only appraising for $112,000. It's also had at least 2 owners since the Routiers (it only goes back as far as 1999, and I'm not exactly sure when Darin sold it, or it was foreclosed).
I agree. That is a really nice looking home. What are the details concerning Darin? Did he sell it? Where is he living? Is his youngest child still living with him?

nanandjim said:
I agree. That is a really nice looking home. What are the details concerning Darin? Did he sell it? Where is he living? Is his youngest child still living with him?

I believe the house was repossessed.
It certainly looks a hell of a lot better than it did when they lived there. Much nicer funiture/decor.
Drake is living with him from what I've heard, but I'm not sure what city they live in - I believe near his folks.

Dani, when I sold my mother's home, I had to disclose on the real estage agreement that she had died in her home (of natural causes). I'm not sure if that has to continue with each successive buyer/seller or not. And because of the notoriety of this case, I would imagine any real estate agent with good sense would tell any prospective buyer because it would only be a matter of days, if not hours, before a neighbor told them. Unless someone moved from out of state, I can't imagine anyone not knowing the two boys died there.

Is the housing market depressed in TX? I paid that for my house 3.5 years ago in VT, and it is only ~1600 sq.ft. Or...are the houses overpriced in the Northeast??? :waitasec:

bensmom98 said:
Is the housing market depressed in TX? I paid that for my house 3.5 years ago in VT, and it is only ~1600 sq.ft. Or...are the houses overpriced in the Northeast??? :waitasec:

The prices for houses flucuate greatly even in the same area. There's a lake not too far from the Routier house and some of the lots alone go for $100,000. I live not too far from there in another city and the houses in my area go from between $350,000 to $6 million just within a few miles of one another. However, there's also an older neighborhood where the houses are probably priced closer to the Routier home.

sue1017 said:
Wow, all of that for only $197,900!

Seems 10 years didn't really change the value of the property.

S
I think Darlie and Darin only paid $132,000 for it three or four years before the murders. You'd have to pull up some comps on other houses in the subdivision that have sold in the last 6 months to come up with a fair market value and determine what the asking price really means. It may just be what the seller is willing to let it go for, with little to do with market value.

I wonder why they are selling.

Property Info$197,900
3 Bed
2.5 Bath
2,970 Sq. Ft.

This is posted on realty.com by the listing agent, which should be pretty accurate.

Also, that family room really was smaller than I thought. I always thought the general area where the bodies, sofas, etc were was congested and smaller than most thought. However, I thought it was due to the way Darlie had arranged the furniture than the limitations of the room itsefl.

Great shot of the kitchen counters.

Jeana (DP) said:
The prices for houses flucuate greatly even in the same area. There's a lake not too far from the Routier house and some of the lots alone go for $100,000. I live not too far from there in another city and the houses in my area go from between $350,000 to $6 million just within a few miles of one another. However, there's also an older neighborhood where the houses are probably priced closer to the Routier home.
Lakefront properties are always much higher than inland properties. I would not call Dalrock Heights an upscale subdivision. It is probably right on the median prices for the area.

bensmom98 said:
Housing trends vary from state to state, then vary again within certain areas. The price of the lot determines much in the final price of a new home. If you are in an upscale area, it is going to cost more for less. If you are in a rural areas, you get more for the buck. If you in the suburbs, you tend to get more for the buck compared to the city or less compared to the country. Exceptions are those famous highrises that do the exact opposite.

Best way to figure out how you compare is to find three houses sold in your area (neighborhood) within the last 6 months with square footage within 100 square feet of yours, and average it. Deduct a little for the extras they have and add a little for the extas you have as it applies. (Remember you don't get extra credit for everything and desireability is worth something. Updates may or may not increase your value.)

Then pick three houses in the area you want to compare to and do the same. That will give you a good idea how you compare. Also, only use the selling price. Asking price is irrelevant, so don't try to compare homes currently on the market. You need homes that have sold as close to the last six months as you can get.

As for what parts of the country are overpriced, that is a tough one. Some say California is overpriced, but who is going to price it down? I think they would lynch anyone who tried. People used to come to Tennessee and say our home were overpriced compared to their home state. Unfortunately,there is no way that I know of to judge which state or area is correct in its pricing. You just got to go with the flow.

There has been a huge housing boom on both coasts in recent years. Many homes have doubled in value in only 5 years, and some in less time than that. It's my understanding that they do expect the housing market on both coasts to begin a downward spiral very soon. Texas housing is much less than in many areas of the country and many regular families can afford to buy a McMansion in Dallas suburbs. There isn't much land involved, however, with most homes sitting on less than 1/5 of an acre.

If Darlie and Darin paid $132,000 for the house in 1993 (the year it was built), and it was only valued at $112,000 in 1999, then I would say the house lost considerable value due to the murders. The current owner can ask $199,000 for it, but if it's on the tax books at $162,000, then I doubt they'll get their full asking price. They might get between $185,000 and $190,000 however. It's also possible the tax books are way out of date and maybe they'll get their full asking price.

bensmom98 said:
I live in southern oklahoma, and prices here on houses are pretty good too. I own a brand new 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath in the same type of neighborhood. In fact, my home looks much like this one. I payed 194,000 for it. Honestly, housing value here would be lower yet if it weren't for the Army base 10 minutes from my house (which is why we bought here). With the additional units being added to Ft Sill, here, the value is higher than it would be.

Also, that family room really was smaller than I thought. I always thought the general area where the bodies, sofas, etc were was congested and smaller than most thought. However, I thought it was due to the way Darlie had arranged the furniture than the limitations of the room itself

Oh I know Goody! I was very shocked! I always figured Darlie had squished too much furniture into that room. The bigger, the better, right? Hmmm, that gives us another clue. You know how some people say Darin just couldn't see Damon at first. They say that's why he didn't help him.Psh...that room was so small he could have seen an ant. You(I think) and I say he didn't help Damon because he didn't want to help him. My theory(and yours?) becomes even more believable when you see how tight of a space was involved. I always thought Devon was much further away than Damon was from "mommy" but he wasn't. There was no room to be.

QUOTE=HeartofTexas]

There has been a huge housing boom on both coasts in recent years. Many homes have doubled in value in only 5 years, and some in less time than that. It's my understanding that they do expect the housing market on both coasts to begin a downward spiral very soon. Texas housing is much less than in many areas of the country and many regular families can afford to buy a McMansion in Dallas suburbs. There isn't much land involved, however, with most homes sitting on less than 1/5 of an acre
I have a friend from my hometown who moved to Garland, bought a brand new house in '96 and made alot of money when they sold it in '03. Bought a bigger and nicer new house in Garland in '04, sold that one in '05 and made a profit then too.
If Darlie and Darin paid $132,000 for the house in 1993 (the year it was built), and it was only valued at $112,000 in 1999, then I would say the house lost considerable value due to the murders. The current owner can ask $199,000 for it, but if it's on the tax books at $162,000, then I doubt they'll get their full asking price. They might get between $185,000 and $190,000 however. It's also possible the tax books are way out of date and maybe they'll get their full asking price
That's what I think too. Especially since it looks so nice, it should fetch alot more than under $200 grand. I'm sure many people think the house is haunted. For those who don't believe that, they know there will be gawkers. Carloads of teens driving by in the night as well as curious tourists, like the people on WB! I wouldn't what to deal with that.

HeartofTexas said:
There has been a huge housing boom on both coasts in recent years. Many homes have doubled in value in only 5 years, and some in less time than that. It's my understanding that they do expect the housing market on both coasts to begin a downward spiral very soon. Texas housing is much less than in many areas of the country and many regular families can afford to buy a McMansion in Dallas suburbs. There isn't much land involved, however, with most homes sitting on less than 1/5 of an acre. .
Same thing here. Lots of McMansions! hahahah. Haven't heard that term before but it is a good one.

HeartofTexas said:
If Darlie and Darin paid $132,000 for the house in 1993 (the year it was built), and it was only valued at $112,000 in 1999, then I would say the house lost considerable value due to the murders. The current owner can ask $199,000 for it, but if it's on the tax books at $162,000, then I doubt they'll get their full asking price. They might get between $185,000 and $190,000 however. It's also possible the tax books are way out of date and maybe they'll get their full asking price.
Tax appaisals do not drive market price. They might even be higher than what a house will sell for on the open market sometimes. (I used to urge homeowners to get them reduced to save them a few bucks when that happens.) Never go by the tax appraisal when trying to value your home. Go by the home sales in your neighborhood (don't compare a house built in 1958 to one built in 2001 either. Keep them within acceptable ranges)

It is not unusual for a builder to sell a new home for more than the tax accessor appraises it. It is also not unusual for new homes not to increase in value within the first two years. In recent years though, we have had some manipulation by the powers that be to prevent that, but it is not a good thing. Sooner or later someone is bound to get bit.

Only time will tell on Darlie's old house. Let us know when it sells and what the selling price was. It was foreclosed on when they had it, and I imagine with the kitchen sink ripped out and carpets ripped out, etc, that the value did sink for awhile. Don't know how much hands on appraising the TX tax appraiser does. Here 99% of it is done by computer according to grids without any visual to the property except an occassional driveby.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyberanalyst0303
Back