The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

They are going to need lots and lots of help! :blowkiss:

Thanks DK. I stopped by our local Red Cross today. They are recommending cash donations. If you can't give cash, they would love some of your time to field phone calls and to coordinate how your local RC will be getting the supplies to the victims. They are in disaster mode and would welcome any and all help.

Nancy

They said on the news too, they need money, money and more money!

Cities all across the South are sheltering familes that have evacuated. Many left with only the clothes on their backs. There are calls for clothing, bedding, toilet paper, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, diapers etc. Many of the local churchs are asking for donations of this sort. They are meeting the basic needs untill the Red Cross and Fema can generate their paperwork. Your local Churchs may be taking these items to send to their sister Churchs in the South.

They really need those donations, but unfortunately you have to be careful: every time there is a tragedy like this, there are always vultures trying to profit by getting people to donate money to them, under the guise of a charity - they keep the money for themselves. Make sure you know the charity is valid. Red Cross is good, but a wonderful sounding pitch from a church you don't go to may be a scammer.

LOL if someone is so desperate to scam me for toilet paper they can have it.

Greta was reporting about the devastation, Hurricane Katrina caused. She mentioned some very useful info:

For Help and Donations,
please contact the Red Cross:

1-800-HELP-NOW

For Help to Find Lost Ones:
(Family, Relatives, Friends...)

1-866-GET-INFO

www.Gulfcoastnews.com

A Plea for Help from Governor Dean:

This week millions of Americans fled Hurricane Katrina. Across the South families abandoned their homes and businesses, not knowing what would be there when they returned.

Many stayed behind and suffered devastating loss and injuries -- nearly a hundred have died that we know of, and hundreds of thousands need our help.

America is at its best when we realize that we are one community -- that we're all in this together. That means that each one of us has the responsibility to do what we can to help the relief effort.

The Red Cross is a great place to start:

http://www.redcross.org

They are already moving people and resources into the region to help. Donations will provide clean water, food, and shelter for disaster victims. The Red Cross web site also has important information for victims and their relatives across the country.

Many local Red Cross chapters are organizing volunteers to travel to affected areas -- doctors and nurses to provide medical care, workers to build shelters, first responders to assist in rescue operations.

You can find your local chapter here to learn what you can do:

http://www.redcross.org/where/chapts.asp

We are still learning the full story of the devastation, but there is no time to wait. Please do something now.

Thank you.
Governor Howard Dean, M.D.

And to help the poor Animals effected by Katrina:

Humane Society of the United States
DISASTER STRIKES: HSUS Mobilizes to Save Animals
https://secure.hsus.org/01/katrina_relief/nepz0p_M19RtL?

<P>In response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina
yesterday, The Humane Society of the United States has launched
a massive relief effort to rescue animals and assist their
caregivers in the disaster areas.
<p>

Even as you read this, our highly-trained Disaster Animal
Response Teams are heading to Mississippi to begin a multi-state
animal rescue and recovery effort. Our 38-foot Disaster Response
Unit and other rescue vehicles affiliated with our teams are
fully stocked and on their way.

Our entire relief effort is funded by donations from people like
you, and we desperately need your support. Please make an
emergency contribution to our Disaster Relief Fund today. Your
tax-deductible gift will be used exclusively for our disaster
animal relief work. Click here to make your gift:

Even at this early stage, Katrina promises to be one of the most
devastating hurricanes on record. Please keep the human and
animal victims in your thoughts, and please consider making an
emergency donation today to help our disaster relief teams save
as many stranded and injured animals as possible. My dedicated
corps of professionals and volunteers sends our gratitude as we
get set to enter the disaster zone.

Sincerely,

Laura Bevan
Incident Commander
HSUS National Disaster Animal Response Team
Florida Panhandle Staging Area

P.S. As the leader of our on-the-ground disaster relief efforts,
I can tell you first-hand that the difficult and dangerous task
of saving animals' lives in disaster situations is vital not
only to the animals, but to the people who love them, too. Any
support you can provide for our animal relief work is deeply
appreciated. Click here to make your contribution to the Humane
Society Disaster Relief Fund:

Thx CK for this great info. :) :)
I made a donation to the Red Cross on Sunday before it hit and this devastation was known.
I may make another but I will surley send one to the animal rescue.
GREAT POST CK!

This is a real gut wrencher for me. I was in Homestead helping in the relief efforts the fourth day after hurricane Andrew hit in '92. People walking all over the streets, homeless with nothing but the shirt on their backs. Absolutely no buildings standing. That was more of a wind storm than Katrina, which was both wind, storm surge, and rain.

New Orleans probably will never be the same. If the water keeps rising, and it probably will, the entire French Quarter will be under 10' of water and destroyed. Bodies already floating in the streets, no idea how many people still stuck in their attics with still rising water. No electric anywhere in NO, no potable water unless it is brought in (can't do that yet), no sewer systems, a 50 inch diameter water main broken, levees at Lake Ponchartrain are compromised (broken), no food, 20,000 to 30,000 people in the Superdome and the water is rising and the toilets haven't been able to be flushed for two days, and the people have nothing !!!!!!!!!

I sent in my donations to the Red Cross and Salvation Army a few minutes ago. If it buys a few meals or some water, at least I feel that I have helped.

Dammit all anyway. Hate to see people suffering like that. Thanks for the thread.

AZ Veteran it does not suprise that a vet would be one of the first to step up and make a donation!

YW, Mic and AZ-Veteran.

I just made a donation to the Red Cross and to Human Society Animal Rescue.

This disaster I beyond what I could ever imagine. I'm so sad for all the people who lost their lives or loved ones. And for all the animals who got killed or lost of suffer! So very sad :(

But also for New Orleans. Especially the French Quater. My husband and I spent some time there when we travelled the USA. It will never be the same...

The French Quarter - on of my fav places. I honeymooned there but spent some time there in college also.
The devastation is off the charts and I feel terrible for man and beast in the area.
As soon as the FQ is back up I plan a visit to shpw my support and love!

Thanks CK. It's always important to contribute what we can.

Some former coworkers and I started a little group thru which we provide monies and goods to stricken peoples.
We began this in 1998 during the El Salvador floods, so let me suggest if anyone is thinking of sending something other than money, here are some good suggestions.

Toothpaste and brushes
Sanitary products
Disposable diapers
bar soap and wash cloths
talc and foot powder
plastic baggies (small and large)
mosquito repellent
paper towels and toilet paper
baby bottles and formula

Pet food (all types) check with your local vets

many of your local churches will take these things and send them on. Or contact your local town officials for more information

Thanks CK for the links and everybody else for their postings; ARC is always the best to donate to under such situations IMO. The scale of this tragedy has just begun to unfold...

tybee204 said:
LOL if someone is so desperate to scam me for toilet paper they can have it.
LOL! How true! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

On the Drudge report I read that 5 NAVY SHIPS and 8 MARITIME rescue ships are being sent to the region. This is truly a national disaster. God Bless America!!

I have read that the best start is Red Cross. http://www.redcross.org

They are providing clean water, food and shelter

You can contact your local chapter also to volunteer; if you can't give cash

Salvation Army also. You need to be sure it is a reputable organization, as said above.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back