Indonesian Air Force C-130 transport crashes into crowded Medan Sumatra neighborhood

KEVINinTO

Former Member
Reaction score
DEVELOPING STORY

An Indonesian Air Force C-130 Hercules transport has crashed into a crowded neighborhood in Medan Sumatra. Reports are the aircraft had 12 crew on board and it crashed into a hotel and residences. No official word on casualties but it is feared the death toll will be very high. Early pictures and video from the crash site show a scene of major devastation with cars on fire etc.

http://rt.com/news/270601-plane-crash-medan-indonesia/

LIVE video stream from local TV station (WARNING may contain raw unedited video)

http://www.tvonenews.tv/streaming

EDIT: Just a word of caution about this live stream. I am watching it now and they have shown mutilated bodies on live television. Indonesian TV is not like Western TV where graphic images like this are edited out.

proxy.jpg

CIu0QArVAAA4TUM.jpg

CIu0PzcVAAEHwfL.jpg

Thanks for posting this, Kevin. What a horrific mess. There must be countless casualties, I'm afraid. Terrible.

UPDATE: According to RT.com at least 38 killed in this crash (death toll expected to rise)

Picture capturing concerned onlookers
CIue5DPUcAEOyR2.jpg

Toll is expected to rise as Reuters reports 100 aboard the c-130

Reuters / Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Security forces and rescue teams examine the wreckage of an Indonesian military C-130 Hercules transport plane after it crashed into a residential area in the North Sumatra city of Medan, Indonesia, June 30, 2015. At least 55 people were killed when a military transport plane crashed into a residential area shortly after take-off in northern Indonesia on Tuesday, but the toll looked set to rise after it emerged that more than 100 people had been on board. REUTERS/Roni Bintang

http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/military-plane-crashes-in-indonesia?articleId=USRTX1IEYG

I had heard the pilot called engine trouble but these things have 4 engines and are known for being over-powered. I'm not sure where they'd seat 100 people though, not sure about the weight load either. These planes fly large military equipment/vehicles when needed.

UPDATE: According to RT.com at least 38 killed in this crash (death toll expected to rise)

Picture capturing concerned onlookers
CIue5DPUcAEOyR2.jpg

Wow. Wonder why the guy in white is smiling like that?

I briefly heard on Fox yesterday or Wednesday that there was a question of whether family members had been on board and something about illegal profiting. I just heard a brief snippet at the last moment so I certainly could be wrong.

What gets me about that photo, is why on EARTH would a huge crowd gather like that around a burning plane?

I wouldn't be anywhere near it, that's for sure.

Look at all the photos being taken. I guess I'm just too old to understand how photos take a priority over human suffering and disastrous occurrences anymore. Oh look, a plane crash! Photo op!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsongirlfriend
Back