Walmart Apologizes for Making ISIS Cake for Man Denied Confederate Flag Design

WOW! Apparently Walmart would rather make a cake with an ISIS flag on it than the Confederate Flag! :scared::gaah::shame:

Oh, are you really suggesting that is what happened? From your article:

"A spokesman for Walmart told ABC News, "An associate in a local store did not know what the design meant and made a mistake. The cake should not have been made and we apologize.""

It was a mistake borne of ignorance, not a policy or preference issue, so you are totally mischaracterizing what happened.

Its crazy that cake decorating has become the new battleground for rights. Certainly Wal-mart can refuse to sell confederate flag merchandise. Personally, i think its a bit silly to extend that to custom made cakes, however. These aren't items that sit on a shelf on public display. I have gotten cakes from Wal-mart and other such stores. You tell them what you want, you go in later to pick it up, they bring it out from in back somewhere, show it to you, then put it in a box and you go pay for it. No one would know anything. I understand Wal-mart doesn't want to offend customers. But the problem with that is that it never ends. Someone will go find something to be offended about. In this case, Wal-mart stated that the ISIS flag should not have been made. But why? Is there a policy against it? What other symbols are on the banned list? If the ISIS flag is banned, then they should make sure employees know that. When they made the announcement that they were not going to sell items with the confederate flag on them, they sort of open themselves up to this happening. They should have just quietly implemented that policy.

Personally, i think its a bit silly to extend that to custom made cakes, however. These aren't items that sit on a shelf on public display.

By that logic, would you think it appropriate for them to sell cakes with other symbols of hatred (that were also previously revered as symbols of heritage)? I mean, if it's not going to sit on a shelf on public display, should Walmart offer up swastika cakes for neo-Nazis?

I think in this case the cake was made because whoever decorated it had no idea what the ISIS symbol was. I suspect only 10% of Americans, tops, would recognize it (though many would likely be suspect of anything with Arabic writing on it). And for what it's worth, if you read the story, look at the fellow who ordered the two cakes, does it not seem like he was trying to make a political statement in the first place? Causing trouble, which is his right, but it's clear he has an agenda other than eating cake.

My first thought when I saw the story was the man was making a political statement rather than wanting to "eat cake". I noticed he went to a different WM location for the ISIS cake. Had he gone to the original store where he ordered the confederate flag cake they may have rejected that cake too or maybe they did, who knows?

It's his right to order whatever cake he wants and WMs right to refuse to make it. I think we try to hard to be PC, it never ends. I'm offended by a lot that I see and hear but basically ignore it because I believe so much in freedom.

It's his right to order whatever cake he wants and WMs right to refuse to make it.

rsbm

Totally agree. The only reason I responded to this thread was that, absurdly enough, the initial poster made it seem that Wal-mart would rather make a cake that celebrates ISIS than one that would celebrate the confederacy, which wasn't the case at all.

rsbm

Totally agree. The only reason I responded to this thread was that, absurdly enough, the initial poster made it seem that Wal-mart would rather make a cake that celebrates ISIS than one that would celebrate the confederacy, which wasn't the case at all.

I think one WM employee screwed up and this person took advantage of the mistake and ran with it. Decorating the ISIS cake wasn't a deliberate decision by WM. I'd feel like crap if I were the employee who'd been tricked like this. What a crappy thing for someone to do.

A corporation like Walmart needs to stay consistent so not making a Confederate flag cake makes sense because it matches up with their store policy. If someone ordered and received a cake decorated with it THAT would go viral and WM would (again) look foolish and be the target of cake decorating outrage.

rsbm

So absurd that I'm calling this a case of confected outrage over confederate confectionary :confetti:

(the smiley is confetti, lol)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back