Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

I just heard on CNN a three star general has proposed to the pentagon to make this a military operation. He suggests Maxwell AFB as the staging for all FEMA operations, National Guard etc.

I don't have updates. I have a ton of questions. I am worried many are going to die.

concernedperson said:
I just heard on CNN a three star general has proposed to the pentagon to make this a military operation. He suggests Maxwell AFB as the staging for all FEMA operations, National Guard etc.
And that means???
They have to move now. The levee broke. All the survivors are going to drown.

Becba said:
And that means???
They have to move now. The levee broke. All the survivors are going to drown.

Is this a new levee break? Where is the flooding? Which survivors are you referring to?

God, I wish I worked for the Red Cross or FEMA or something, instead of this damn desk job. I feel so useless....

amandab said:
Is this a new levee break? Where is the flooding? Which survivors are you referring to?

God, I wish I worked for the Red Cross or FEMA or something, instead of this damn desk job. I feel so useless....
Yes a new levee break. It is a levee for lake Poinchatrain. The break is 2 blocks wide. Tulane University Hospital was getting an inch of water every 5 min.
No one can evacuate their patients as fast as the water is rising.
The water will flood the homes people are ontop of the roofs of.
The survivors will have no place for dry land. They will die.

Becba said:
Yes a new levee break. It is a levee for lake Poinchatrain. The break is 2 blocks wide. Tulane University Hospital was getting an inch of water every 5 min.

God help them........

Becba said:
Becba, thank you for keeping us updated. Please post a link for the source.
Pray people please pray.

Someone else posted at the end of the other thread, and I wonder too, will this have impact the Super Dome?

Lesleegp said:
Someone else posted at the end of the other thread, and I wonder too, will this have impact the Super Dome?

That was me....I haven't heard anything yet....

FINALLY!!!! My daughter, Tammy called a little while ago & they are safe!They are in Vancleave, Ms. about 8 mi. from Gulfport and near Biloxi. She got a signal on her cell but it didn't last long...about 10 min. but long enough to let us know they are OK...The house held up with only minor damage, and they have taken in a family from down the road (they are out in the country). The other family is OK, but they don't have a generator, & Tammy & Paul do. They are giving reports on a local radio station there telling everyone to stay where they are. There are downed power lines, debris and unstable, damaged trees.
I hope all of you & your loved ones are safe. Praying.

Lesleegp said:

It is going to depend upon how much water continues to pour into the area. The Super Dome is built fairly high up. If water continues they will have to evacuate the whole city.....disease from flood waters will be a big concern for survivors.

Just on CNN, it was said that they are afraid that many of the people who are trapped in the atics of their houses will die before they can be rescued due to lack of air. Rescue efforts are being hampered by power lines in the water which are still hot and gas lines that have not been shut off.

They fear a large number of deaths in the 9th Ward area of New Orleans from the levy which broke recently.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina/index.html

New Orleans levee breaks

Water poured into New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain after a two-block-long breach opened overnight in a section of a levee that protects the low-lying city. (Interactive: Map of New Orleans)

Nagin had said that about 80 percent of the city was flooded and that some areas were under 20 feet of water. (Watch the video account of unanswered screams -- 1:57)

CNN's John Zarrella, in a hotel on Canal Street, said the water level was "much higher" than it had been during the height of Katrina's onslaught, rising all morning Tuesday and topping the sandbags meant to keep the water out of the building.

"Water has now filled the basement of the hotel," he said. "All of the entrances to our hotel are completely surrounded, and the water is slowly creeping up the side of the building.

"Yesterday during the hurricane, the water was no where near this high."

More at the link posted above including an interactive map of New Orleans.

Shadow205 said:
Pray people please pray.
I'm praying

FINALLY!!!! My daughter, Tammy called a little while ago & they are safe!They are in Vancleave, Ms. about 8 mi. from Gulfport and near Biloxi. She got a signal on her cell but it didn't last long...about 10 min. but long enough to let us know they are OK...The house held up with only minor damage, and they have taken in a family from down the road (they are out in the country). The other family is OK, but they don't have a generator, & Tammy & Paul do. They are giving reports on a local radio station there telling everyone to stay where they are. There are downed power lines, debris and unstable, damaged trees.

HD - I'm so happy that your daughter and family are safe.

We heard from our in-laws. They are fine and in Monroe, LA. They will be heading here for a few days and then to Dallas for a few days before returning home. No word on how their home is. They are very close to the water, about a mile or so from the lake and a bayou that runs along side their home, so I'm assuming they have some water damage. At least they are safe and dry.

Jules said:
We heard from our in-laws. They are fine and in Monroe, LA. They will be heading here for a few days and then to Dallas for a few days before returning home. No word on how their home is. They are very close to the water, about a mile or so from the lake and a bayou that runs along side their home, so I'm assuming they have some water damage. At least they are safe and dry.

That's great news.

My neighbor has family here from Metarie and other parts of Louisiana.

heavenlydaze said:
I hope all of you & your loved ones are safe. Praying.

Glad to read that!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back