1066 users online (231 members and 835 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ireland - Sligo, WhtMale, 50-70, aka 'Peter Bergmann', prostate cancer, Jun'09

Fellow sleuthers, this one's perplexing to say the least. In 2009, a white male - estimated to be between 50 and 70 years old - arrives in the beachside town of Sligo, Ireland, by bus; checks into a hotel with a presumably false name; and pays in cash. Four days later his body is found on a nearby beach. No evidence of drowning; foul play is ruled out. The labels on his clothes and his bags are missing, and he has no ID on him. The name he gives at check-in - Peter Bergmann - is submitted to several international databases. Nothing is found - he didn't exist.

What makes this different from some of the other UID cases out there is the abundance of CCTV footage available from his time at the hotel, a lot of which is included in The Last Days of Peter Bergmann, a 20-minute documentary, which is available here for free. That's a great starting point and covers the basics.

Also, if you're familiar with Lyle Stevik, you'll notice the parallels - this unidentified male was able to seemingly eradicate his identity over the course of the weekend in the hotel. Very odd.

What we know

+ "Peter Bergmann" (PB) gets on a bus from Derry, Northern Ireland, and arrives at Sligo Station at 18.28 on June 12, 2009. He is carrying a black shoulder bag and larger travel bag. He takes a taxi to the Sligo City hotel where pays in cash for three nights. He gives his name as PB, and an address in Vienna, Austria (which was later found to be a vacant lot). Hotel clerk remembers he has a deep Germanic accent.

+ On June 13, 2009, PB purchases eight stamps and airmail stickers from the Post Office.

+ On June 14, 2009, PB asks a taxi driver if he can take him to a beach where he can swim. He is taken to Rosses Point, before returning in the same taxi.

+ On June 15, 2009, PB checks out of the hotel, and leaves with the shoulder bag, a purple plastic bag, and a dark carrier bag. The larger travel bag is no longer with him. He walks to the bus station where he orders lunch; he is spotted on CCTV looking at small pieces of paper which he takes out from his pocket. PB gets on a bus to Rosses Point.

+ On June 16, 2009 at 6.45 am, his body is found on the beach.

The bizarre bit

CCTV films PB leaving the hotel several times carrying a purple bag and then returning to the establishment without it - presumably he is gradually disposing of his clothes/personal possessions. According to the director of The Last Days of Peter Bergmann, he does this 13 (!) times throughout the weekend. Surprisingly (given the prevalence of CCTV in the UK/Ireland), not a single camera can locate where he discards these items; none of his belongings are found in trash cans in the immediate vicinity, despite law enforcement doing an extensive search. PB is filmed doing pretty much everything else that weekend (he's spotted smoking/eating/walking in various locations). How did he know about these CCTV blind spots - how is that even possible?

Unexplained death

Coroner found PB had extensive prostate cancer, bone tumours, and had suffered previous heart attacks. No evidence of any painkillers were found in his system. Cause of death is unknown.

Links

Here's a few resources to get you started...

Wikipedia page
    Article from The Irish Central
    Description, physical characteristics, contacts (possibly NSFW - includes autopsy photo; written in German)

Also shades of Somerton Man here, but at least the man's motivation to commit suicide (if that was his COD) is clear. He was terminally ill.

(this may be a copy of the story above. It was posted today )

With video surveillance...

http://firsttoknow.com/unsolved-myst...e=facebookpage
    ~ my opinion only

I had never heard about this mans very intriguing story until today, my friend just showed me this short film about him.

https://aeon.co/videos/in-2009-a-man...ppear-forever#

Peter Bergmann is the name of an actor in a long running soap opera on CBS. He plays a character named Jack Abbott., FWIW. Bergmann is also a common European surname.

Okay, I've been searching Dutch, Belgian, German and Austrian missing persons pages. (And any other country where they sound germanic.)
    https://www.politie.nl/gezocht-en-ve...-lagerwij.html
    He was a heart patient who might want to end his life and went missing around the right time frame.

This one they think left to live in England in 2006. https://www.politie.nl/gezocht-en-ve...-riemslag.html

Quote Originally Posted by KaylaraOwl View Post
    This person looks very much like the UID imo - although no real closeup is shown in the video.

I'll ask my husband to write the police there a letter later. I can read German, but not write it. I can write the Dutch authorities though and see if the two Dutch citizens have been checked out.

https://www.politie.nl/gezocht-en-ve...-lagerwij.html this link didn't post right the last time.

The wiki has a close up of his face after his death.

Here is a German forum discussing the case: http://www.allmystery.de/themen/km114454

I thought the same thing as some of them on there. That address looks like Amstetten, mixed with other towns. Maybe he is from that area, or had been there before. Maybe he remembered the town name but didn't actually know.how to spell it because he.wasn't actually from Austria.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast