NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
7C8LHE1.jpg

RICHARD MATT and DAVID SWEAT

Search underway for two murderers missing from state prison in Dannemora
PUBLISHED: SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2015 AT 9:43 AM - UPDATED: SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2015 AT 11:18 AM
Daily Courier-Observer

DANNEMORA - A search is underway for two prisoners, both serving sentences for murder convictions, that were discovered missing early Saturday morning from Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora.

New York State Police said they received a call at 5:45 a.m. Saturday from corrections’ officials reporting two prisoners were unaccounted for during a 5:30 a.m. bed check. State police are now currently searching for the two escaped prisoners.

They are:
Richard Matt, 48, a white male, 6’ tall, 210 pounds, with black hair and hazel eyes. He has tattoos on back “Mexico Forever”, a heart on his chest and left shoulder, and a marine corps insignia on his right shoulder.

David Sweat, 34, white male, 5’11” tall, 165 pounds, brown hair and green eyes. He has tattoos on his left bicep and his right fingers
NY Gov.: 2 Convicted Murderers Used Power Tools to Escape
DANNEMORA, N.Y. — Jun 6, 2015, 4:50 PM ET
ABC News/AP

Two convicted murderers used power tools to cut through steel pipes at a maximum-security prison near the Canadian border and escape through a manhole, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday.

"It was an elaborate plot," Cuomo said after joining law enforcement authorities to retrace the prisoners' escape route from the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, N.Y.

[...]
"A search revealed that here was a hole cut out of the back of the cell through which these inmates escaped," Annucci said. "They went onto a catwalk which is about 6 stories high. We estimate they climbed down and had power tools and were able to get out to this facility through tunnels, cutting away at several spots."

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8

David Sweat shot and captured alive after New York manhunt
Sun June 28, 2015

150628171540-01-david-sweat-cnn-bug-medium-plus-169.jpeg

Malone, New York (CNN)A massive, more-than-three-week manhunt for David Sweat ended Sunday as it began, with the escaped murderer in custody.

A New York State Police sergeant on roving patrol saw Sweat, and after Sweat ran, the sergeant shot him, according to a law enforcement official with knowledge of the investigation. It did not appear Sweat was armed, the official said.

A photo exclusively obtained by CNN shows Sweat in custody moments after his capture. The photograph shows him bloodied and wearing a camouflage outfit -- not prison garb.

N.Y. prison break: Sweat says he, Matt practiced escape, official says
June 30, 2015

Recaptured escapee David Sweat has told police that he and Richard Matt conducted a practice run of their prison break the night before they disappeared from Clinton Correctional Facility in upstate New York, a state official says.

Agents with the state Inspector General's office have been trying to figure out how the convicted murderers were able to leave their cells at night to escape, and had been looking into whether guards had fallen asleep, officials have told CNN.

~~~

"To make a dry run and ... have the ability to escape, and then go back in, it is a little baffling," Wylie told NBC News.

Three members of Clinton Correctional Facility's executive team, along with nine security staff employees, have been placed on paid administrative leave as part of the review of the escape, according to the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Much more at link^^^

I'm laying off the Mom. He had a father, too. We don't know anything about either of them. He had screwy wiring, it sounds like, as a child. JMO I believe some psychopaths are born that way.

I am not forgetting the victims nor the citizens who had to live in fear nor the officers that were out in horrendous conditions.

As a citizen, going from the house to the car would have been a trip in terror.

I wonder what people told their children?

Matt was not in LE custody when he was shot. It was a justified shooting after he pointed the gun at LE.

JMO

I never said it wasn't a justified shooting. I am aware of the fact that the law permits the use of deadly force to stop a fleeing felon. The shooting was 100% justified, criminally. A wrongful death suit is a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

All I was saying is that Clinton Correctional and the state of NY may be civilly responsible since he was in their custody and under their supervision. He was killed because they were negligent in their security allowing him to escape, which resulted in his death.

I said logically it doesn't seem right that his family could sue because it was his choice to put in him that position, but maybe they are liable civilly. IANAL though, so I don't know.

I never said it wasn't a justified shooting. I am aware of the fact that the law permits the use of deadly force to stop a fleeing felon. The shooting was 100% justified, criminally. A wrongful death suit is a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

All I was saying is that Clinton Correctional and the state of NY may be civilly responsible since we was in their custody and under their supervision. He was killed because they were negligent in their security allowing him to escape, which resulted in his death.

I said logically it doesn't seem right that his family could sue because it was his choice to put in him that position, but maybe they are liable civilly. IANAL though, so I don't know.

Same reason they have "rubber rooms " So folks don't commit suicide or hurt themselves :dunno:

All I was saying is that Clinton Correctional and the state of NY may be civilly responsible since we was in their custody and under their supervision. He was killed because they were negligent in their security allowing him to escape, which resulted in his death.

A justified shooting means there was no negligence on the part of the state. He wasn't in custody when he was shot.

His escape didn't result in his death, his pointing a loaded gun at an officer resulted in his death.

JMO

Hypothetical, if Matt's family sues, can they include the union if it's proven that there was negligence on the part of the union members? I really don't know because I'm not that familiar with how unions work.

A justified shooting means there was no negligence on the part of the state. He wasn't in custody when he was shot.

His escape didn't result in his death, his pointing a loaded gun at an officer resulted in his death.

JMO

BBM - If I recall correctly he didn't point the gun at LE, he just refused to follow LE instructions.

JMO

DID he point a loaded gun at LE? JMO

JMO

A justified shooting means there was no negligence on the part of the OFFICER who shot him. The prison and/or the state were negligent in not ensuring proper security to prevent the escape from happening in the first place. He was not in custody when he was shot due to their negligence. So like I said, maybe they're liable civilly. IDK IANAL. But let's say he killed an innocent citizen while on the lam... Wouldn't you think that victim's family would have a valid lawsuit against the prison and/or the state? I do, because they were negligent. But again, IANAL.

And not that it matters, because it was a justified shooting regardless, but he did not point a loaded gun at an officer. When the officer ordered him to put his hands up, he turned to flee so the officer shot him.

HMMMM. So the shots were fired as he turned and fled? Are two at the back of his head and one at the top of his head? JMO I want to see the autopsy, not just the autopsy report.

HMMMM. So the shots were fired as he turned and fled? Are two at the back of his head and one at the top of his head? JMO I want to see the autopsy, not just the autopsy report.

Did he turn and try to run or did they come up behind him and tell him to put the gun down and hands up and he didn't comply? I don't know I haven't read much except he didn't comply.

I guess it doesn't matter if noncompliance is justification for LE to shoot. Same with Sweat. He wasn't visibly armed, but did not comply. JMO But Sweat was clearly shot in the back.....Matt, on the top of his head, indicating that he was down. JMO

I guess it doesn't matter if noncompliance is justification for LE to shoot. Same with Sweat. He wasn't visibly armed, but did not comply. JMO But Sweat was clearly shot in the back.....Matt, on the top of his head, indicating that he was down. JMO

Yeah I'm totally torn on this issue. I hate for anyone to be killed. It SEEMS that there are other options like rubber bullets or some other method to take a person down without killing them.

However I also understand that LE have to make split second decisions to keep themselves and their partners safe. I don't know the answer.

A justified shooting means there was no negligence on the part of the OFFICER who shot him. The prison and/or the state were negligent in not ensuring proper security to prevent the escape from happening in the first place. He was not in custody when he was shot due to their negligence. So like I said, maybe they're liable civilly. IDK IANAL. But let's say he killed an innocent citizen while on the lam... Wouldn't you think that victim's family would have a valid lawsuit against the prison and/or the state? I do, because they were negligent. But again, IANAL.

And not that it matters, because it was a justified shooting regardless, but he did not point a loaded gun at an officer. When the officer ordered him to put his hands up, he turned to flee so the officer shot him.

At the time he was shot, he was a fleeing felon with a gun. That was his choice. His choice to break out of jail. A justified shooting means there was no negligence on the part of the officer or his employer. A state usually has statutes that exempt them from liability for things beyond their control. Matt got himself shot by his own actions.

If he had died while in custody such as not receiving necessary medical care in the prison, the State might be liable but not in this case.

JMO

BBM - If I recall correctly he didn't point the gun at LE, he just refused to follow LE instructions.

I thought one of the initial reports said he pointed the gun. It really doesn't matter because he was a dangerous, fleeing felon and the shooting was justified.

JMO

On the prior thread I suggested that the LE who shot Matt might have been in a tree. The LE was with a tactical unit. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but when I think of tactical, I think of more unconventional methods than is used by regular LE units.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back