MO MO - Denise Clinton, 9, Kansas City, 8 July 1965

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Good article:

Fifty years later, an unsolved Kansas City kidnapping still haunts family and friends

It was 2:20 a.m. that July day in 1965 when the bell rang in the lobby of Kansas City’s Great Plains Motel.

Night manager Dorothy Reynolds stirred from her sleep to let in a young man with dark hair and “very blue eyes.”

He spoke in a soft voice and had “well-formed, handsome features,” she later would say.

She considered it just a routine customer check-in. He had something else in mind.

“Don’t say nothing. Just give me the money,” he said, pulling out a long-barreled revolver.

Reynolds did as she was told, and the robbery would have been long forgotten if all the man had taken was the $246 from the motel register.

But he got away that morning with something far more more precious: Reynolds’ 9-year-old granddaughter, Denise Sue Clinton.

Her friends and family never saw the Independence girl alive again.
---
more at link above

I asked the mods to move this to the cold case forum since Denise is not missing. Interesting case though. Especially since a little girl with a similiar hair cut was murdered by someone with a white car in 1966 in a Chicago suburb. I'm now curious about the details on the suspect in this case. I wonder if the sketch can be found online.

"Thanks all," said the guy who posted in the wrong category in the first place.

ETA:

I remember this one vividly as I had cousins in Independence, one of whom was the same age as Denise. (Different grade schools though.)

If anyone finds a link/info with the sketch of the suspect please add it!

I'll give this one a bump as it's unsolved after 50 years -- the case's anniversary is tomorrow; it involves a post-midnight kidnapping of a young girl whose body would eventually be found two years later, in a Wyoming location over 11 hours and 750 miles away from the place of her taking.

As well, the place of her taking was within 25 miles of a case that, in a way, marked the end of a long era of ransom kidnappings which had its genesis in the 1930s and which stretched forward through time until 28 September 1953, when six-year-old Bobby Greenlease was removed from his school and soon after murdered and buried in nearby St. Joseph MO.

Though no ransom demand was made in Denise Clinton's case and though the Greenlease case was eventually solved and its perpetrators punished, in geographical location and in sheer terror and in eventually deadly outcomes to the kidnapped girl and kidnapped boy, the cases do find parallels.

This is insane. Do you think the killer could be the same that killed Beverly Garland in Ohio?

On this article
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article26501554.html

says: "Tom Thomas, one of the first Kansas City police officers to arrive at the motel, began processing the scene for evidence. He found a partial fingerprint on the roll of tape the kidnapper used to bind the Reynoldses. It was no bigger than the eraser on a pencil, but it was clean."

Is this fingerprint still available for investigators? Maybe checking it against digitalized databases can prove fruitful

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!
Back