1072 users online (161 members and 911 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

NY - Rebecca Arthur, 17, JFK Airport, 6 July 2015

Rebecca Arthur

Connecticut Teen Missing After Flying to Morocco to Meet Facebook Boyfriend: Police
    A 17-year-old Connecticut teen is missing after being driven to John F. Kennedy Airport so she could fly to Morocco to meet a Facebook boyfriend, authorities say.

Rebecca Arthur, 17, was last seen being dropped off at the Delta Airlines terminal at the airport on Monday. She flew to Casablanca, Morocco, and arrived there on July 7. It's not clear who drove her to the airport.

Police say she was flying to Morocco to meet a Facebook friend named Simo El Adala. A Facebook profile for El Adala features photos of Arthur and is listed as in a relationship with the girl. El Adala's profile states that he lives in Uruguay.
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...312946101.html
    Last edited by KateB; 07-09-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: edit photo link.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."

She flies to Morocco, but the guy lives in Uruguay?? She must have known that as they were FB friends...but they picked Morocco to meet? Or maybe he wasn't who he said he was. The poor parents. Praying for Rebecca.

I have too many questions:
    How on earth does a 17 year old afford a flight to Morocco (or Uruguay for that matter?)
    Who drove her to the airport (& in essence approved of this "adventure")?
    Where were her parents in all of this?
    The bf seemingly has no friends according to his FB page (is that a privacy thing maybe?)
    I assume CCTV at the destination airport is being checked.

This is a weird one, although with teenage hormones who knows what is real - I certainly wouldn't go back to that time again!

Yes, he just has his friends set to private, but the page is suspect to me...no real place of employment or schools listed...all just fill in silly stuff, likes are just sports stuff...very generic with no real information.

I am still confused how she was allowed onto an international flight alone.

"Anyone under the age of 17 who is flying alone on an international flight must have a signed note from a parent or responsible adult giving permission, destination and length of stay."
    http://www.independenttraveler.com/t...en-flying-solo

Granted I am sure that can be forged but still you would think someone with the airline would question some things about a 17 year old walking up to check-in for an international flight without a parent there to see her "off".

Also international flights can be expensive ... who paid for her ticket?

clarification

His photos (backgrounds, settings) look like they were taken in Morocco moreso than Uruguay (the tile backgrounds especially). Plus the language he and his friends speak - that all points more to Morocco. If that's even him, not photos that someone else stole from an unsuspecting guy.

I'm amazed she did this. At that age, I don't think I would have the balls to fly there alone to meet someone I didn't know. Also would love to know how she paid for this. Flights there are over $1000, easy.

Quote Originally Posted by KDub View Post
    Yes, he just has his friends set to private, but the page is suspect to me...no real place of employment or schools listed...all just fill in silly stuff, likes are just sports stuff...very generic with no real information.
    Granted I know we are just seeing part of his FB due to the privacy settings but it still looks very "off" to me too. Looks like something you would see on that show "Catfish". A lot of the pictures are the same ones and/or in the same locations but posted on different dates which is just weird.

A lot of people repost their photos. I have switched my profile photo a lot, using the same several over and over, and the original posting date will stay. They'll show up on your timeline unless you tell it not to.

If you look closely at the groups some of his "friends" are in they are rather creepy / worrying. I doubt very much the the bf is who he pretends to be - imo there is something more sinister going on here.

Basically I'm saying that the more I look at his profile, the more I think this is a real guy. He gets a lot of 'likes' from different people on his photos, people who seem to live in the same country and seem like real friends / relatives. And a lot of people have some of their posts friends-only and just some pics pop up as not private. If I went missing today and you looked at my facebook account, you'd think I rarely ever posted on it, but I do; it's just not public. You can also only see SOME of my photos.

PS. Where's the thanks button?

I did some image searches on his pictures and they aren't showing up anywhere else so perhaps that is a good sign that this is legitimately him. Granted that doesn't necessarily mean she is safe but I would feel better knowing the BF is actually someone around her age rather than some internet predator just pretending to be a teenage kid.

I have't done much research but how bad is human trafficking there in Morocco?

It says her parents didn't know about her plans. It sounds like she is in Morroco at this point. Hopefully police can work with their authorities to see if cameras show who picked her up or try to locate this person. We can only hope that he is who he represented himself to be and they are off being teenagers on an adventure . fingers crossed

I think this MAY be a real guy, some of the pics he has posted of Rebecca look like stills from WebCams so maybe they have webcammed before. Then she would notice if he didnt look like his pics.

That said, even if this is the guy, it doesn't mean she couldn't be in trouble
    <3 Find Sarah and Jacob Hoggle <3

Quote Originally Posted by slashkiss View Post
    I am still confused how she was allowed onto an international flight alone.

"Anyone under the age of 17 who is flying alone on an international flight must have a signed note from a parent or responsible adult giving permission, destination and length of stay."
    http://www.independenttraveler.com/t...en-flying-solo
    If that quote is correct per Delta's rules, I'd assume she didn't need a note since she is not under 17.

If she has a job, she could have easily saved up for the ticket. You can fly from JFK to CMN for less than $1,000. Do we know she didn't take a cab or Uber to the airport? Having been a teenager in love at one point, I'd guess she told a friend and had them drop her. I did a really similar thing at age 19 (although I told my parents I was going, but not why) and told all my friends. I was so in lust that I couldn't keep it in!

I'm hoping they've double checked immigration detention at CMN, but I'm assuming she planned smart enough to have a return ticket.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast