719 users online (78 members and 641 guests)  

Websleuths News

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Metro Detroit

Actor Omar Sharif has died

Omar Sharif, of "Doctor Zhivago," "Lawrence of Arabia," dies

2 hours ago

CAIRO (AP) In "Lawrence of Arabia," Omar Sharif is first seen in the distance, a speck in the swirling desert sand. As he draws closer, he emerges first as a black figure on a galloping camel, slowly transforming into a handsome, dark-eyed figure with a gap-tooth smile. It wasn't unlike the Egyptian-born actor's debut in Hollywood.

Sharif was Egypt's biggest box-office star when David Lean cast him in 1962's "Lawrence of Arabia," but he was a virtual unknown elsewhere. He wasn't even the director's first choice to play Sherif Ali, the tribal leader with whom the enigmatic T.E. Lawrence teams up to help lead the Arab revolt against the Ottoman Empire...

Awwww. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bettybaby00 View Post
    Awwww. RIP
    that's exactly what I thought. I just wish we could add inflection. What a smile he had. Sigh

Heart of Europe
    I listened to an old radio interview with Omar Sharif earlier. He told the BBC how he was just about to leave Egypt for the US and Lala movie-land in the early 50s, met a friend in a cafe days before he left and the friend offered him a part in a movie.

That led to the start of his acting career. Then Hollywood, finding itself short of Arab-appearance actors for a forthcoming movie, settled on his spotlight photo as a possible. He won the role, in Lawrence of Arabia. Because he had brown eyes and not green or blue.

Hollywood makes me laugh sometimes. Forever running around looking for great actors that don't conform to a certain narrow appearance - but not realizing there's no shortage. They're just not around because Hollywood doesn't provide enough work. I think, anyway.

It's not a link to the interview I heard, (not available) but is a comprehensive BBC obit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    We 'embraced' the missing Bob Harrod case as requested but 6 years on, are still waiting for further guidance

Flyers/FB/Case Overview&Media Links

land of most amazing sunsets
    He was a babe!! He really loved and respected his wife too....

RIP Omar
    Just My Opinion

RIP Omar Sharif. I feel the need to curl up with some popcorn and watch Dr. Zhivago. Maybe Lawrence of Arabia and Funny Girl also. Such a handsome man!!!

East Tennessee
    Omar, a bridge game, at midnight in an oasis! RIP. Thanks for the entertainment!
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.