Tropical Depression Lee has now arrived

Dark Knight

Reaction score
From Accuweather.com's hurricane center:

1. As of 11 a.m. EDT, Tropical Depression Lee was located near 31.9 north and 51.5 west, or about 780 miles east of Bermuda. The depression has moved little over the past 6 hours. It has sustained winds of 35 mph. Estimated central pressure is 1010 millibars or 29.83 inches.

2. Elsewhere in the tropics, a tropical low was located near 17 north and 43 west and was moving west-northwest at 10 knots. Despite plenty of shear from an upper trough of low pressure just to the west of this feature, it has maintained a low-level circulation and convection close to the center of circulation. Some models back the upper-level trough away from the low-level center Friday into Saturday providing a better environment for development.

3. A tropical wave is along 81 west south of 20 north, moving west at 10 knots. A second wave is near 10 north and 24 west, moving west around 10 knots.

4. An upper trough of low pressure south of Bermuda will build southwest toward the Bahamas and may have to be watched for slow tropical development over the weekend. (DK note, this is where Katrina formed)

DK,

I sure hope it doesn't form into anything substantial. Also, I wonder if it will cool off for them? Sorry if this is a stupid statement or question.

Can you tell us what that means, in terms that even I can understand? A meteorologist on Greta a few nights ago predicted that we could expect another hit on the gulf coast in the next week or two. Is this the beginning?

Mabel said:
Can you tell us what that means, in terms that even I can understand? A meteorologist on Greta a few nights ago predicted that we could expect another hit on the gulf coast in the next week or two. Is this the beginning?
Lee or some of the other waves are on similar tracks as Katrina, so far, and I know the weather pattern here in the midwest is very calm for the next week, so no interferences. So yes, it is certainly possible for more storms to hit, and Lee needs to be watched closely.

T'sNana said:
DK,

I sure hope it doesn't form into anything substantial. Also, I wonder if it will cool off for them? Sorry if this is a stupid statement or question.
People forget that September and early October is about the busiest part of the Hurricane Season. All these storms have been awfully early. So we're getting into the meat of the season, now, I'm afraid.

Dark Knight said:
People forget that September and early October is about the busiest part of the Hurricane Season. All these storms have been awfully early. So we're getting into the meat of the season, now, I'm afraid.
Thanks....they definitely don't need THIS ever, but especially now.

Dark Knight said:
Lee or some of the other waves are on similar tracks as Katrina, so far, and I know the weather pattern here in the midwest is very calm for the next week, so no interferences. So yes, it is certainly possible for more storms to hit, and Lee needs to be watched closely.
Huh?? I just checked noaa's website and it looks like Lee is already mid way up the east coast headed due north. Am I missing something? :waitasec:

Ntegrity said:
Huh?? I just checked noaa's website and it looks like Lee is already mid way up the east coast headed due north. Am I missing something? :waitasec:
I haven't seen any tracks, as it hasn't moved much, but I meant to say it is sitting where Katrina started, sorry about that. I will check to see it's direction, but if it isn't moving, it's gonna be hard for them to predict.

Ntegrity said:
It is moving NW, they think, at all of 3mph, so hopefuly it will stay that way and remain out to sea. Good work! Now don't be such a grouch. :blowkiss:

Dark Knight said:
It is moving NW, they think, at all of 3mph, so hopefuly it will stay that way and remain out to sea. Good work! Now don't be such a grouch. :blowkiss:
Am I being grouchy again? :dance:

Here's a link to Lee's position. Doesn't look like a threat at all. Let's hope it stays that way.

I heard that Lee was not considered a threat last night from the fellow from Accuweather that was on Fox. However, an historical note for you. Andrew and Katrina both hit Miami on the same August day. Shows how much the activity has increased during this new cycle of storms.The first named storm and the eleventh. Interesting bit of trivia. I believe he was watching some other areas in the Atlantic and waves off the coast of Africa for formation.

Tropical Depression Lee ~ is it wearing a little sweater vest? :waitasec:

DK - Lee???? Lee's gone - get with the program DK, we're up to the M one.

Mabel said:
Hurricane Mabel only hits at my house, usually once every month according to my husband.

Too cute!!

TD #14 forms in Atlantic; TD Lee weakens NBC2 News
Posted on: Thursday, September 01, 2005
MIAMI— At 5 pm the center of Tropical Depression Fourteen was located near latitude 19.6 north, longitude 46.4 west or about 1085 miles east of the northern Leeward Islands.

The depression is moving toward the west-northwest near 12 mph and this motion is expected to continue for the next 24 hours with a gradual decrease in forward speed.

Maximum sustained winds are near 35 mph with higher gusts. Little change in strength is forecast during the next 24 hours.

http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=4237&z=3&p=

Casshew said:
Tropical Depression Lee ~ is it wearing a little sweater vest? :waitasec:
-----------------------------

Just being nosey.Does it have a bag of wind with it using a canula (sp) ?.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back