817 users online (134 members and 683 guests)  

Websleuths News

OK - Kathleen, 30, & Royce Henson, 1, Tulsa, 23 March 1979

I recently learned about this case. It probably could have been solved back in 1979 but after the initial investigation, it wasn't examined again until 1984. Kathleen Henson was reportedly afraid of a male acquaintance who was involved in criminal activity. I guess there was never enough evidence to list him as a suspect and his name has never been released. In a more recent article, both her father and Eamon (her other son, who was nine or ten at the time) believe that her abusive boyfriend had her killed. It's not specified if the abusive boyfriend is the same person as the male acquaintance. Also, I'm not sure if Eamon and Royce were brothers or half-brothers. They have the same last name but "the abusive boyfriend" is specified as Royce's father and not Eamon's father. I only mention this because that night they disappeared, Eamon was with his father. Therefore if they do have the same dad, I doubt he was involved.

NamUs - Kathleen Henson

NamUs - Royce Henson

Doe Network - Kathleen Henson

Doe Network - Royce Henson

Charley Project - Kathleen Henson

Charley Project - Royce Henson

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    Missing Since: March 23, 1979 from Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: October 5, 1977
    Height and Weight: 2'9, 35 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Biracial (African-American/Caucasian) male. Black hair, brown eyes.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    Missing Since: March 23, 1979 from Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date of Birth: July 30, 1948
    Height and Weight: 5'7, 125 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Kathleen's nickname is Kathy. Her ears are pierced and she may wear contact lenses.

Details of Disappearance
    Kathleen disappeared with her baby son, Royce. They were last seen together in Tulsa, Oklahoma on March 23, 1979. Kathleen worked at Roger's Records in the 5000 block of north Peoria Avenue and had access to concert tickets as a result of her job. At 11:30 p.m. on the day of her disappearance, she called some friends and said she was going to their home to give them tickets and would be there within an hour. Kathleen was driving her father's car, a brown four-door 1969 Chrysler sedan. She and Royce never arrived and have never been heard from again.

Kathleen is divorced and left behind a ten-year-old son, Eamon, whom she was very close to. She dropped him off at his father's place of business the evening of March 23. Eamon was supposed to only stay with his father for a few hours. Later that evening, Eamon's father dropped him off at Kathleen's house without realizing Kathleen wasn't there. The house was locked and Eamon didn't have a key, so he crawled in through a window and went to bed. When he woke up in the morning and realized his mother still wasn't home, he called her best friend, who called Kathleen's parents.

On March 25, Kathleen's father's vehicle was found locked and abandoned at the corner of Ute Street and Peoria Avenue in Tulsa. It was parked crookedly, which is uncharacteristic of her driving. There was no sign of the Hensons at the scene. Kathleen's straw coin purse, driver's license, Social Security card, a baby bottle and one credit card were inside the car. She wasn't carrying any money, extra clothing, or diapers or bottles for Royce at the time of her disappearance. Kathleen's loved ones don't believe she knew anyone living in the area where her car was found. When authorities searched the Hensons' home, they found no indications of a struggle.

Prior to her disappearance, Kathleen mentioned being afraid of a male acquaintance who was involved with criminal activity. At first her parents believed she'd left of her own accord to get a break, but as weeks passed and no one heard from her, they concluded something else must have happened to her and Royce. There's been no sign of either of them since 1979.

When Kathleen and Royce were initially reported missing, the police checked her car and apartment for evidence but didn't investigate their cases any further. They didn't reopen their investigation until 1984, when Kathleen's mother inquired as to the status of her daughter's case. Foul play is suspected in Kathleen and Royce's disappearances, which remain unsolved.

Parents mystified by disappearance - September 29, 1979

Police cite need for missing persons bureau - July 8, 1984

DNA Project May Help Families Of Missing - April 9, 2008

If she left of her own accord, she would have taken both children. The area of 51st and Peoria was not a safe area at night back in 1979. I cannot remember where Ute Street is in relation to her work place, but my best guess is back towards downtown. That would be an even higher crime area 35 years ago. If Tulsa has a Cold Case unit, I wonder what a renewed visit by a detective could shake out of an abusive acquaintance or ex-lover??
    I wonder if her parents are still alive?
    (I grew up in Tulsa. I still visit sometimes and the city has a special place in my heart.)
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

How tragic. Kathleen Henson's sister, Patricia Higginbotham Klein, was my college roommate in 1969. The same year that Kathleen disappeared, Patricia died in her sleep. So the parents lost both their daughters and a grandchild. Patricia was a lovely person and very smart. So sad that both girls lives were cut short.

Not the same father, and Eamon certainly seems to think Royce's dad is the perpetrator. Screenshot attached. Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 7.04.37 PM.jpg

I wonder who Royce's father was, if he's still alive, & what he's been up to since 1979.

http://www.newson6.com/story/8143974...ies-of-missing

"Eamon Henson and Bill Higginbotham, Kathleen's father, believe her abusive boyfriend, who was also the father of baby, Royce, had her killed."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local...8d056dafa.html

"When I got inside the house and she was not home, I was immediately panic-stricken. She was always home when I was home, and Royce was gone, too," he said. "I cried myself to sleep. When I woke the next day and they were still not there, it was all I could do to get to the phone and call someone."
    He said his mother was involved with a man who was a known drug-trafficker, according to police. Royce is their son."

Bumping
    Who was Walker County Jane Doe?

John Doe - February 9, 1968 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread
    John Doe - October 31, 1967 - Facebook Page, Websleuths Thread